Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep Rear DVD System with Aftermarket Headunit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep Rear DVD System with Aftermarket Headunit?

My daughter gets a LOT of use out of it with the wireless headphones on all the trips "up north" and the other 1-3 hour drives we often take. If I hook up a Metra kit (yes I do make a bit of use of the DIC in my radio) is the DVD system useless? If it will be rendered inoperable, is there a store that I could order a harness split that I could hide the stock radio somewhere in the back of the car to maintain connection through all the stock wiring?

My idea would be to simply snip off the wires dealing with DIC on the extension to the remotely mounted radio so as to avoid any potential conflicts with the Metra I'll use to control it. The aftermarket would not use any stock speaker wiring, I'd run all my own from my amp. I'd even snip the speaker wires from my extension if that wiring isn't necessary for the wireless headphone use.

Does anyone see any flaws with this idea?
    Mods: Full Crab Intake and FPU kit, GT-R Exhaust
    Summer Hopes: Bottom ram air snorkel, Aftermarket radio, Design a small out-of-sight stealth sub box (no trunk), Tinted windows
    Next Year: Performance rotors and pads, extra monitors in headrests in addition to the stock console screen

Re: Keep Rear DVD System with Aftermarket Headunit?

I don't see why your DVD system would not work...

Your idea sound good and plausible too... metra kit costs a shit ton AND with the metra you would loose chimes (IDK which ones but it's on the Crutchfield site) if you have the Monsoon system...

Expanding on your idea..... you would need to build a custom harness by extending the wires of the existing harness.

You shoud be able to tap into the power, ground and speaker wires with the new head unit...

Sounds like a lot of work but it might just work!!!

Originally posted by BAMBAMM
    I'm about the best wingman in the San Joaquin Valley...........I'm the guy that will hit on the ugly friend, so you can swoop in and bag the hottie friend.

Comment

Re: Keep Rear DVD System with Aftermarket Headunit?

Yeah extending the harness I can do easily. I just need the connectors from somewhere, and preferably something split up already. The Metra should come with one split harness I would think, then finding a 2nd split harness to connect off the Metra to lead to the old stock radio. If power is an issue it couldn't be too difficult to snip the stock power onto a new circuit. I'm not sure yet if the DVD system has it's own dedicated line or not from the fuse box, haven't gotten to check that yet.
      Mods: Full Crab Intake and FPU kit, GT-R Exhaust
      Summer Hopes: Bottom ram air snorkel, Aftermarket radio, Design a small out-of-sight stealth sub box (no trunk), Tinted windows
      Next Year: Performance rotors and pads, extra monitors in headrests in addition to the stock console screen

Comment

Working...
      X