Front Signal Lights as DRLs anyone???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Signal Lights as DRLs anyone???

Hello ladies and gents! I'm kinda new here but I've been debating this for a little while now and I was wondering if anybody has thought of this already and if so, is it possible. Ok, I'm eventually going to get the H.I.D. conversion kit for my low beam headlights. I know I will have to disable DRL by taking out the fuse.

So, my question is this:

Would it be possible to rewire the car somehow, or adding some relays in a manner that the front turn signals would turn on and stay on (while still functioning as turn signals, of course)?

I've seen this before in some of T/A's, Camaros, and even some Grand Prixs and Grand AMs. I was just wondering if there is any way that this can be done on the G6. Either that, or maybe have the HIGHS as the DRLs, with a lower power output of course. I mean, I know the turn signals already come on, and stay on, when you turn the fogs on. So, is there any way to do this? Which one would be the easiest to try? The turn signals, or the highs?

Any help or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I also would like to let it be known that I am volunteering to be the guinea pig for this mod, if no one has tried this already, of course. If I can get some guidance or directions on how to get this accomplished, I will try it!

Oh, moderators, I know I might be posting this in the wrong thread, but I don't think I remember reading anything similar on any of the forums before. If so, please feel free to move it.

Later,
    Jorge
    Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI + GT-R Exhaust.

you would probably be better off trying to use the parking lights as DRLs not the turn signals. there are a couple threads on how to set up your foglights to run as your DRLs so the information could be modified to run your parking lights or turn signals instead if that is what you wanted to do.

http://www.g6performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4517

http://www.g6performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4487

Comment

is it that much a hassle to just turn the switch one click to put the turn signals on?
      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
        is it that much a hassle to just turn the switch one click to put the turn signals on?
        To answer your question, no, it is not. It's just something I thought of and I think it looks cool. The Vettes have that and I just like it. It's just a preference. The thing is, when you hit the fog switch on, both the fogs and parking lights come on. I just wanted to see if there was a way for the parking lights to come on and stay on while driving. Essentially, have the parking lights as the DRLs instead. This, of course, by simply turning your car on w/out having to hit the fog switch on. Call me crazy I've been know to act that way before.

Comment

Originally posted by bristol16
          you would probably be better off trying to use the parking lights as DRLs not the turn signals. there are a couple threads on how to set up your foglights to run as your DRLs so the information could be modified to run your parking lights or turn signals instead if that is what you wanted to do.

Thanks, I probably should've read the top thread more in depth. I will send Jnak a PM and see if this could be done for the parking lights only. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by qckslvrG6_GT

Thanks, I probably should've read the top thread more in depth. I will send Jnak a PM and see if this could be done for the parking lights only. Thanks for your help.
            no problem. post up some info if you get something figured out as i am sure you are not the only person who is interested now or will be in the future :smoke:

Comment

wow to this day I honestly didn't realize the parking lights come on with the fogs. I know what you're talking about. A lot of GM cars have the amber lights as DRLs, like the grand prix, vette, even some cadillacs. There was a thread about this floating around somewhere not too long ago.
              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by qckslvrG6_GT

no problem. post up some info if you get something figured out as i am sure you are not the only person who is interested now or will be in the future :smoke:
                Will do, as soon as I get some info from jnak, I'll see if I can get this thing working and write up a How To.

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                  wow to this day I honestly didn't realize the parking lights come on with the fogs. I know what you're talking about. A lot of GM cars have the amber lights as DRLs, like the grand prix, vette, even some cadillacs. There was a thread about this floating around somewhere not too long ago.
                  Exactly, now you are starting to see my where I'm coming from. That's good, because for a while there, I thought I really was crazy .

Comment

Well, I'll have to keep checking this poll in the morning. I need to get some sleep and go to work tonight. Otherwise I won't have money for the mods. I'll keep checking this and hope to hear from Jnak. I will keep you posted if I find the way. (I know I'll eventually see the light )

Comment

Just FYI - You turn signal lamps on vehicle aren't designed to be used continuously and running them that way likely runs risk of causing too much heat build-up.

Comment

Originally posted by e2helper
                        Just FYI - You turn signal lamps on vehicle aren't designed to be used continuously and running them that way likely runs risk of causing too much heat build-up.
                        So you really don't think this could work? I mean, they already come on an stay on when you turn the fogs on.

Comment

the parking lights come on with the fog lights, NOT the turn signal lamps. they use the same bulb but it is a dual filiment bulb and run off seperate circuits. the turn signals are much brighter than the parking lights.

wiring the parking lights to come on as DRLs should work, but your tail lamp parking lights may come on also. i am not sure if there is a way around this or not.

Comment

the parking lights come on with the fog lights, NOT the turn signal lamps. they use the same bulb but it is a dual filiment bulb and run off seperate circuits. the turn signals are much brighter than the parking lights.

wiring the parking lights to come on as DRLs should work, but your tail lamp parking lights may come on also. i am not sure if there is a way around this or not.

Yes, it is in fact the parking lights I'm talking about. I shoul've changed the title of the thread. It's just that I know so many people that call the parking lights the turn signal. I will say this though, I'm determined to make this work so I'll just keep waiting for ideas while I try to come up with some of my own. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Working...
                            X