Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil Information from Pontiac regarding our oil sensors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Information from Pontiac regarding our oil sensors...

Good morning! I am sending this email as a follow up. I have researched the
    information you requested on how the GM Oil Life System works.

GMOLS is not simply a mileage counter; it is a computer-based software algorithm
    that calculates the right time to change a vehicle's engine oil based on
    operating conditions. When it is time for an oil change, a "change oil" message
    will light up on the instrument panel or driver information center. The vehicle
    oil should then be changed within 600 miles of the display message. The GM Oil
    Life System monitors engine combustion events while also estimating oil
    temperature based on other engine operating conditions. Short trips, cold
    temperatures and towing loads all shorten the time between oil changes, while
    highway driving and milder temperatures extend the life of engine oil. GMOLS
    will automatically adjust the oil-change interval based on driving habits,
    engine characteristics and climate. From here, the computer is able to determine
    the rate of oil deterioration and notifies the driver when to change the oil.

The GMOLS is calibrated for use with standard "Starburst" mineral-based
    automotive engine oil. Synthetic oils are not required except for the Corvette
    and all 2004 vehicles equipped with Premium 3.6L V6 WT DOHC engines (currently
    the 2004 Cadillac CTS, SRX, and XLR). Make sure to read the owner's manual and
    select the viscosity and oil grade that are correct for your engine. Any oil
    selected for use should carry the ILSAC "Starburst".

If you should need to contact us in the future, simply reply to this message or
    call our Pontiac Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-762-2737. Customer
    Relationship Managers are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to
    11:00 p.m., Eastern Time.

Sincerely,

Ian Hurlburt
    Customer Relationship Manager
    Pontiac Customer Assistance Center
    "The Milwaukee Mile 5"

Synthetic oils are not required, but will they work with the oil life system and all that. I really want to change to full synthetic but all this info is turning me away from it.
    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

go with full syn, the only thing is that the oil counter will not give you a correct reading of the oils life, but as a lil hleper you could reset the oil counter and change on the second one?!
      Originally posted by Toyz
      Originally posted by simplyred
      what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
      As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Exactly what I said, just different words.

The Oil Life Sensor is an algorithm, and doesn't monitor sediment in the oil.

Synthetic oil will not break down as fast as conventional oil, therefor it can be used for longer periods, and the oil life monitor will not take this into account.

sigpic
        Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

[quote="TLS2000"]Exactly what I said, just different words.

Right, just backing you up!
          "The Milwaukee Mile 5"

Comment

Fine fine, I'll do it

damn peer pressure
            TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

I was at the dealer back couple of months I asked him what if I want to change synethic oild the service manger said " can i give you some advise no undless you doing long mileage" And they want 71 bucks for the fucking oil change!!

2006 Black G6 Sedan , Mobil 1, Custom license Frame Plate, Solar Gard Flim 20% Tint ,Vision Bulbs 6000k HID

Comment

Do they even ask what your name is first, before giving you the raping.

Comment

Synthetic is better, regardless of what the dealership says.

Here's a tip for you: Go to Partsource or Canadian Tire to buy Mobil 1 in a 5-litre jug. Then go to the dealership with that jug and make them use it for your oil change. It's much cheaper that way.

sigpic
                  Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Or just do it yourself, real men change their own oil.

Maybe they'd take the oil for themselves and put in their stuff

Comment

After waiting 3 hours at the dealership for my first oil change at 3000 miles, I'm never going back there for something like that again!
                      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Doesn't Goodwrench guarantee oil changes within 20 minutes?

sigpic

Comment

I don't know.
                          -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
                            Doesn't Goodwrench guarantee oil changes within 20 minutes?
                            I have never heard of that?
                            not a bad idea though :P
                            Shit happens, Drive faster
                            GO SENS GO!!!!!!!
                            :) :) :) :) :) :)
                            GO SENS GO!!!!!!!

Comment

change it yourself, and full syn isnt gonna hurt anything, just you have to judge when to change it

Comment

Working...
                              X