Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synthetic Motor Oil Causing Leak? Help Please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic Motor Oil Causing Leak? Help Please...

I changed my oil about two weeks ago and I noticed a decent sized spot on my drive of motor oil. I pulled the 6 on the ramp and got to looking. I didn't really find a noticeable leaking spot but the bottom of my car is covered. I was wondering if the oil that I got was too thin for my car because of the mileage. I bought Castrol Edge 5w 30, the "think with your dip stick stuff". I might have an issue with my drain plug, I am checking it again tomorrow. I need to hear some input on the topic so let me know what you think.

Re: Synthetic Motor Oil Causing Leak? Help Please...

I have heard putting synthetic in a high millage car is a no no if the car never had it before, but I have never had a problem with it.

ISimple Ipod adapter, Heat wrapped Injen, CRABs Option 3, ?% Tint, 6000K HIDs,GT-R, Tinted Tails, Rear badge delete, Plastidiped grills and front dart, Brembos, Pulse p5 17"s, racingline MMIs

Comment

i put synthetic in my grand prix gtp all the time. and it had 128039 when i got it. it ran fine and had no leaks or issues.

Comment

is the bolt or oil filter tight enough? it should as long as u dont go back and forth from convent. to synnth.
        Cold air intake, racingline engine mounts, painted engine cover, tinted tail lights, resonator delete, red and black calipers, Flowmaster 50 series, black upper recessed grills,cobalt ss/tc rims, massive audio nano 800w amp, pioneer A series 460W speakers, pioneer double din touch screen headunit and debadge[color=#FF0000][

My Progression:http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...;s+progression
        JOIN FOREVERPONTIAC.COM...NOW!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 6shift
          i put synthetic in my grand prix gtp all the time. and it had 128039 when i got it. it ran fine and had no leaks or issues.
          Yeah I put synthetic in my GP at 112 too and never had an issue, but I have heard it can cause leaking if you are unlucky.

ISimple Ipod adapter, Heat wrapped Injen, CRABs Option 3, ?% Tint, 6000K HIDs,GT-R, Tinted Tails, Rear badge delete, Plastidiped grills and front dart, Brembos, Pulse p5 17"s, racingline MMIs

Comment

There is a millage number that you shouldn't run synthetic oil till you hit ??,000. I think it was between 25-50k miles but I don't remeber exactly.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
            Current Mods: K&N Typhoon Air Intake System, 10000K DDM HID Lows and fogs, 6000K Highs, 18" Forte Nokturnal rims, Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 Tires, Chrome upper and lower grilles, self tinted tail lights, self painted interior pieces, RacingLine front strut tower bar, GT-R exhaust, Blue painted Calipers, Lampoon blue dart overlays, LED reverse lights, sometimes a WAMS tune,Brembo Brake Conversion, Cobalt SS rear Brake conversion, 15mm H&R Spacers, ATE Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid, Eagle Eye CCFL Headlights, Optima Yellow top Battery, Moog Control Arms & Tie rod ends, BMD SS Brake Lines, BMD Swaybar Links, White LED Gauge Lights,

RIP
            INDIAN WARRIORS
            1926-2010

Comment

Okay, thanks guys for the input. In my tightening of the drain bolt (Just in case it was loose) I rounded it. So, I am going to the dealer to put conventional back in it and to get a new plug. I hope this works. I also wiped down the bottom of car, I mean everything. I left a mat under the car and my thought is with the under body clean I will be able to see the location of the leak tomorrow morning.

Comment

I got one that I don't think was mentioned when I was reading, did you take some of your motor oil and lube the filter gasket before you put it on(better yet did you remember the gasket). Also is the a gasket on the drain plug you might have been missing. I would check stupid stuff like that, did you tighten the cap. And when you tighten things you never have to put so much torque on it, that you round it or cross thread it.
                2008 G6 gray sedan
                GM door badges removed other then that stock still, but I have removed the rear head rests and flipped the fronts(just did not like them, I'm short) and I do think it looks better
                Hopefully I will get something else done to it eventually

Comment

Originally posted by Stewie6000
                  I got one that I don't think was mentioned when I was reading, did you take some of your motor oil and lube the filter gasket before you put it on(better yet did you remember the gasket). Also is the a gasket on the drain plug you might have been missing. I would check stupid stuff like that, did you tighten the cap. And when you tighten things you never have to put so much torque on it, that you round it or cross thread it.
                  I don't think that I rounded it because of too much torque. Just my stupidity with the wrong size or measuring system. I think I used a 14 and its really a 13. So ya, its not that its too tight.

Comment

Although there is a small chance using synthetic oil on a high mileage engine will cause leaks, you should check the obvious stuff first as mentioned on the other posts before blaming it on the synthetic oil.

Comment

My knowledge on the topic:

Dino oil has hydrocarbon molecules that are of varuing sizes--as such, it's a lot easier for it to form "sludge". For the most part sludge is bad, but it has an interesting side effect of plugging some small leaks. Techno-lube is engineered to have molecules of the same size with better detergent abilities, so, with a higher mileage car, the sludge gets cleared out, and thus previously clogged leaks are exposed.

Hence the "synthetic causes leaks" myth.

Still, did you trace that the leak was coming from the sump plug or somewhere else?
                      "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
                      ~~GWAR's description of Hell
                      SkaĆ°i: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan5150
                        I have heard putting synthetic in a high millage car is a no no if the car never had it before, but I have never had a problem with it.
                        Nah, you can switch back and forth with no problems.

A leak will develop always, the thing is that syn oil will seep thru worn out seals more easily than dino oil.

If using sin oil after using dino oil caused problems, then why is there oil blends? dino and sin mixed?

As for seal leaks, I have heard that adding some brake fluid to the oil just before changing will help to expand the seals and reduce or eliminate leaks.
                        As well as adding some ATF oil to wash your engine before an oil change.
                        Dunno if this "tricks" works or not. I know that the only thing down my oil cap is engine oil. PERIOD

Comment

The plug has a plastic or rubber ring, If that ring is missing, there is a very high chance your car will leak the oil no matter how much you tighten it up. I've been using Mobil1 High Mileage 10-30 and I've had no problems.

Comment

Its NOT the synthetic oil. That came from the synthetic oil of 20 years ago. That oil had diffrent polymers and other detergents with additives that could eat seals over time and showed up on high milage cars back then because the seals where already weakend from age. The synthetic oils of 10-20 years ago is nothing near the synthetics are today. So oil wasnt it.

Still leaking and not from the oil drain plug, next look at oil filter. Then move to looking at your head, valve covers, intake manifold.
                            2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                            Gotta have it Green color
                            Brembo brake package
                            420 HP 5.0L
                            Ford Racing Power Pack
                            GT500 track pack differential cover
                            BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I remember when I put Mobile 1 for the first time in my old Lumina when it was over 100k I noticed oil leaking from the valve covers but after a few changes I cleaned the the outside of the motor with engine degreaser and it didn't come back. I have heard Synthetic has thinner molecules and can leak easier, but over time it conditions old seals and does not leak. What does weight does your car call for? you can always switch to a high mileage synthetic.

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Progression Page: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22818
                              http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594110

Comment

Working...
                              X