brakes and rotor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brakes and rotor question

Does anybody else experience shaking when braking from speeds higher than 70? I just got my g6 maybe two or three weeks ago and it is an 06 wit about 28,000 mls on it and when I start braking from high speeds it shakes like crazy. Is that worn out brakes or rotors or is that just cheap GM rotors?

brake complaints are a comon problem for the G6, probably just cheap GM rotors. i have heard from GM techs that pontiac has never had very good brakes out of the box unless you get one of their performance-ish models.

Comment

take them to the dealer and have them refinished...i did and they've been like new ever since
      -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
      Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

Originally posted by blkGTPcoupe
        take them to the dealer and have them refinished...i did and they've been like new ever since
        that's what I thought. Thanx guys. And I will be taking it back to the dealer this weekend for that and a couple of other issues.

Comment

After the winter salt of a Canadian winter, I had the same problem with only 7k miles.
          The dealer turned the rotors to clean the rust build-up. It is like new again...until after another winter!

Cheers,

Chris M.
          Black GTP, 6-speed
          Ottawa, Ontario
          Go Sens!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackdog
            After the winter salt of a Canadian winter, I had the same problem with only 7k miles.
            The dealer turned the rotors to clean the rust build-up. It is like new again...until after another winter!

Cheers,

Chris M.
            Move the clock forward to April 2007.....

I had my oil changed and mentioned the post winter rotor shake.
            When I picked up the car the GM dealer told me that they turned the front rotors. He then told me that the pads were gone on all four wheels!!

He told me there was no charge since I only have 15k miles on the car.
            They told me I must drive the car hard

I told them that most of my driving is highway and to check out the wear on my tires as proof. I also asked if the calipers were seizing.

I have owned 18 cars over the years and have never seen or heard of brake wear happening so quick.

WTF!!!

My quest for rotors and pads begins. This will give me an excuse to change them up, as I'm also tired of my neighbour mentioning "how come your brakes look so rusty".

Chris in Ottawa
            :smoke:
            Black GTP, 6-speed
            Ottawa, Ontario
            Go Sens!!!

Comment

I actually just had my car to the dealer for maintenance and an oil change. I mentioned the ugly vibration to them, and it turns out that my rear pads were gone, and my left rear hub (not sure which part of the braking system that is) was totally bent outta shape. They refinished the front rotors, replaced the rear pads, and I'm sitting in starbucks now killing time while they replace the rear hub. As someone else said, the dealer covered all of this under warranty. I had to wait for the hub to come in, but the rest of the work was done on wednesday. i can say I noticed a HUGE difference with just new pads and refinishing alone. No more shaky shakes!
              2009 PONTIAC G8
              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

^^ Wow, dunno how you wore through the back ones

Comment

^bad proportioning valve perhaps?
                  TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

i hope everyone knows (prolly do but im going to say it anyways) the cause or warpping of rotors is hard stopping from a high speed to a lower speed or to a stop and i dont mean just like once or twice but pretty much everytime you stop because its not a gentle friction stop but a hard stop on the rotors. the only time i hard stop is either at the dragstrip or when someone cuts out in front of me otherwise i brake gently. i have had my car 2 and a half years (aw this sept. will be 3 years) and no vibrations with my rotors yet. only thing i have to say though is i want larger and slotted rotors lol. but all you really need to do is just get them turned and you should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by HotG6GTP
                      or when someone cuts out in front of me
                      i live in jersey happens on a daily basis
                      06BlkGTP 6spd coupe.
                      D.S CAI+Stage 4.
                      Tune Time Performance Tune.
                      Red painted calipers.
                      GT-R Exhaust
                      GM Strut Bar
                      Red LEDs under dash
                      PowerSlot Cryo Rotors + Hawk Pads
                      Hammerhead

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by HotG6GTP
                          i hope everyone knows (prolly do but im going to say it anyways) the cause or warpping of rotors is hard stopping from a high speed to a lower speed or to a stop and i dont mean just like once or twice but pretty much everytime you stop because its not a gentle friction stop but a hard stop on the rotors. the only time i hard stop is either at the dragstrip or when someone cuts out in front of me otherwise i brake gently. i have had my car 2 and a half years (aw this sept. will be 3 years) and no vibrations with my rotors yet. only thing i have to say though is i want larger and slotted rotors lol. but all you really need to do is just get them turned and you should be good.
                          Just to mention.
                          My issue is "rust build-up" due to the tons of salt dumped on Ottawa roads.
                          Combined with the fact that most of my driving is highway. It still freaks me out that my rear pads were history!
                          I realize this is of little or no issue to you Southern US members.

GM is aware this is an issue or they wouldn't have fixed the problem for free.

I will forward my review of my final rotor pad switch.
                          Black GTP, 6-speed
                          Ottawa, Ontario
                          Go Sens!!!

Comment

if youre referring to salt on the roads, they have that here too....where i live they salt the roads at least twice a week in the winter.., theres nothing but highway driving and traiffic (AVOID CHARLOTTE AT ALL COSTS! lol) but if your car is still under a warranty, its going to be free to fix/replace

Comment

My rotors aren't rusted up. Between Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan, my 6 saw plently of salt. Sure the surface rusts when they get wet, but as soon as I brake for the 1st time, it goes away.
                              My brakes shake at interstate speeds, but are fine in town. When the pads need to be replaced, I'm going with the Powerslots.
                              G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                              Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                              Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                              20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Working...
                              X