HID Flickering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID Flickering

So I installed my low beams yesterday with a few setbacks but regardless they are install. The only issue that is arising right now is the right headlight flickers after about 2-3 minutes. It is also sometimes intermittent and I have no idea why. Perhaps a defective ballast not delivering full power?
    Installed - Crab CAB Intake, Borbet Type XL In Black wrapped in Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Wide Oval, Hammerhead, Lowered, Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD, HID's DDM tuning 55w 10k Low 35W 8k Fog, LED Tail Light Bulbs, Racingline Strut Bar Painted Red, R1 Concepts CD/S Front and Rear, EBC Yellowstuff pads, 25mm H&R Wheel Spacers, GTR (Pending Delivery)

Future Mods - Window Tint, GXP Rear Bumper, Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights, LED Turn Signals, Audi Headlight Mod, Upper/Lower Recessed Grilles, Energy Suspension Sway Bushings, Engine Tune

Re: HID Flickering

Swap the ballasts, L&R, and see if it happens again.
    "I put the Giggity into Each and Every Thread"

2009 Performance Red Metallic G6, Progression Page

Comment

Is it just one light flickering, or both?

If both, I'd say you aren't getting enough power to them.

If it's one, swap the ballasts and see if the flickering moves from one side to the other. If it does, you have a bad ballast. If it stays on one side, you have either a wiring issue on that side, or a bad bulb.

sigpic
      Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I had the exact same problem... This forum teached me that the DRL is not the same as lights on. Put your lights on and see it the problem still occurs... If yes, troubleshooting begins. If it's solved, remove your DRL fuse or do a relay thing (the search button is your friend)... or leave it that way and always put your lights on when you start the car (as I'm doing right now... too lazy to remove the DRL fuse ).
        Not installed yet:
        Unique Coatings LED angel eyes

Current extras: Unique Coatings HID low and fogs, Crab Intakes CAB Option 3, Redline QuickLIFT Elite, Floor Mats, Custom Vinyl (GM PN 12498595), 2-Way Advanced Remote Start (GM PN 19156553), Cargo Area Tray (GM PN 17800736)

Comment

Yes definitely disable your DRLs.

Comment

Originally posted by patrickdube
            I had the exact same problem... This forum teached me that the DRL is not the same as lights on. Put your lights on and see it the problem still occurs... If yes, troubleshooting begins. If it's solved, remove your DRL fuse or do a relay thing (the search button is your friend)... or leave it that way and always put your lights on when you start the car (as I'm doing right now... too lazy to remove the DRL fuse ).

it takes 3 seconds.....hhaha

Comment

Originally posted by 6shift

True. The relay is in the fuse box next to the battery. Pull it and you have eliminated that problem.

Personally, I'm using a relay harness so that my HID's are on when the DRL's are.

sigpic
              Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

no shit, took that thing out while I was pumping gas one day.

Comment

Ill remove the DRL relay and report back with my findings, thanks for the help guys.
                  Installed - Crab CAB Intake, Borbet Type XL In Black wrapped in Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 Wide Oval, Hammerhead, Lowered, Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD, HID's DDM tuning 55w 10k Low 35W 8k Fog, LED Tail Light Bulbs, Racingline Strut Bar Painted Red, R1 Concepts CD/S Front and Rear, EBC Yellowstuff pads, 25mm H&R Wheel Spacers, GTR (Pending Delivery)

Future Mods - Window Tint, GXP Rear Bumper, Eagle Eyes Projector Headlights, LED Turn Signals, Audi Headlight Mod, Upper/Lower Recessed Grilles, Energy Suspension Sway Bushings, Engine Tune

Comment

Well I removed the relay and rejoiced to soon it worked out well for about 15 minutes and then the flickering came back, although a bit less intense. The left headlight has also now started to flicker so im thinking the balasts are fine unless both are bad. Any ideas?

Comment

to be honest i didnt have to remove mine. mine work fine with it. and dont flicker and dont blow fuses.

Comment

to be honest i didnt have to remove mine. mine work fine with it. and dont flicker and dont blow fuses.
                        2009 PONTIAC G8
                        MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

What wattage are your balasts?

Comment

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I need HELP! I think my ballast is bad. This will be a bit long to explain what's been happening.

I have two sets of Flashtech HIDs that I bought during a group buy and have been installed for around a year now, but I'm starting to have issues with them. The right headlight does not come on every time the car starts. This used to happen for the first month I had them, but randomly between headlights and fogs. It didn't happen for a quite a while, but over the last two or three months it's been focused solely on the right headlight. I used to be able to turn the lights off and then on again and it would come on. Now I can turn them off and on several times without the right light working, but the other headlight flickers and quits working too. If I wait about 2 minutes and turn them on again, sometimes both lights will come on without flickering. This works less often as time moves on.

Two days ago, I had the light working only to shut off after about 10 minutes. I left the lights alone for a few minutes, turned them off and back on and it worked for another 10 minutes and started all over...this happened for my hour commute home.

So today, with light not functioning AGAIN (it worked for 30 minutes until I turned the car off to get gas), I finally got pissed off enough to pull the headlight out and check the wires (ballast is mounted on top of the frame under/behind headlight, and fog ballast is on outside of frame below headlight). Nothing was loose, but I disconnected and reconnected all wires and tried it again. This did absolutely nothing, still no headlight. I switched the wires between the headlight and fog light ballasts and now my headlight works, but fog doesn't.

Does this mean my ballast is bad, or is there some other explanation?

Comment

Oh yeah, DRL relay was removed before the HIDs were installed.

Comment

Working...
                              X