Quick LED Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick LED Question

I know its been discussed thousands of times, Ive done the search and couldnt find a yes or no answer to my version of the question in my head.

So I wanna change my interior dome & map lights to red (original, I know). Ive had under dash LEDs for awhile now and want the complete effect. I was reading around and it seems like if I just go buy replacement RED 168/561 bulbs, that they arent too bright and will fade so Ill have to eventually do it the right way down the road with LEDs..

My question is that it seems like what Ive read about installing LED lights is you need a resistor so they turn all the way off? There was also mention of soldering, and I started getting scared. lol I know JACK about elecrtical and had my EX wire the LEDs I have currently. Will I be stuck having to do extra work if I go with LEDs?? I also read somewhere that said even LEDs arent as bright as some other bulbs cause the light is only directed out of the end of the LED.

Help?

Re: Quick LED Question

Originally posted by ArcticAir
    I know its been discussed thousands of times, Ive done the search and couldnt find a yes or no answer to my version of the question in my head.

So I wanna change my interior dome & map lights to red (original, I know). Ive had under dash LEDs for awhile now and want the complete effect. I was reading around and it seems like if I just go buy replacement RED 168/561 bulbs, that they arent too bright and will fade so Ill have to eventually do it the right way down the road with LEDs..

My question is that it seems like what Ive read about installing LED lights is you need a resistor so they turn all the way off? There was also mention of soldering, and I started getting scared. lol I know JACK about elecrtical and had my EX wire the LEDs I have currently. Will I be stuck having to do extra work if I go with LEDs?? I also read somewhere that said even LEDs arent as bright as some other bulbs cause the light is only directed out of the end of the LED.

Help?
    well the lights won't be as bright, that's for sure becuase youre switching to red, which is automatically less bright than a white stocker would be... but it's not really a huge deal, the lights should be bright enough for normal usage. as far as the soldering goes, i can't help you there. i've been wondering this same thing, cause i dont like the idea of me messing with soldering and resistors and whatnot. lojac knows a lot about this stuff.

anxious to hear the answers
    Mods: CRAB option 3, Black Grill Trim, Intake Resonator Delete, Ram Air Through Grill, Red Calipers, Tinted Tails, Partial Debadge, GM Strut Bar, 20% all-around tint, Lamin-X Headlight tint, Black corners, (FIRST EVER) black GT Rims, 2 Rockford Fosgate 12" P1's, Kenwood 1000w-2ch amp, DDM HID 6K Low Beams & Fogs

Check Out My Progression!!

Comment

Yeah I mean I KNOW reds will be darker than the stock whites, lol.. Im not too concerned about that, but I think one post that had LEDs mentioned that the ones he had you could still read maps no problem- like his were super bright. If I need to read with dimmer bulbs Ive got a pocket flashlight in the consol, lol..

I just want it to sort of match the intensity of the exsisting LEDs and not have brightness under the dash and then some shabby little things that barely glow red in the roof.

Comment

there is "kits", i guess you can say, which is basically a direct replacement and it has LEDs. have you seen those? no soldering.

something like these...

http://www.oznium.com/led-dome

______________________The Untouchable!____________________

Comment

I think I heard mention of them in a post somewhere.. if its just a replacement, what makes it a "kit?" lol.. anyway, thinking aloud.

I just dont know how to go about replacing them with LEDs. Like I know Id look for a red 168/561 bulb if I went that route but is there any reference number or anything to look for with LEDs other than the number of actual diodes in the part?

I did see a red bulb that was like normal "bulb" bottom, but had like 6 LEDs out the other end, but I think it said that was for headlights, or something other than what I needed it for. Most of the ones Ive seen have just the open wires at the end or the small flat end (like a fuse). I havent looked at the map/dome light in awhile but Im assuming its a regular bottom (like a lamp lightbulb)?

Pretty much just tell me what I should get (how many LEDs per bulb) and the webpage I can find them on! haha I dont need to go crazy either, aint gonna be in any car shows ever.

Comment

i wasnt sure if you had seen those before so i posted it. a "kit", well it isnt really a "bulb" and i jus call it a kit. the one i posted, comes with different bulb plugs. did you see the pics and video? and jus google it and look for others to compare.

Comment

No, where did you post all of that?? And thanks for all of this help!

Comment

Originally posted by ArcticAir
                No, where did you post all of that?? And thanks for all of this help!
                my first post, which is the 4th post here.

Comment

i just used some of the red 194 leds with 4 bulbs on each one. work fine and cheap

Comment

Working...
                  X