Replacing All the Stock Speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing All the Stock Speakers

I am thinking about installing all new infinity speakers.

In my 2006 sedan with the monsoon, I have 6.5rounds in the bottom door with a tweeter near the mirror. If I want to just install a infinity 6.5" 4ohm 60watt rms and disconect the tweeter, how would I go about doing this? Is it as simple as unpluging it?

Secondly, in the back I have read on here that we have 2 speakers, a small tweeter, and a 6by9. I was thinking about replacing it with a Infinity 6" x 9" 2-Way 4ohm 100watt rms and forgetting about the tweeter. Do I just tear out the old speakers, and then bolt in the new 6by9 and connect it into the existing 6by9 wiring? Or is it a more complex instal?

This would leave me with 4speakers instead of 8.
    I am going for the most bass, and best sound without any exterior visible changes (that includes no sub)
    Or should i do something else?

Thanks alot!

There are a lot of guys smarter than me about this stuff. I'm thinking just changing the speakers out isn't going to make a Monsoon sound better.
    There are how to's on installing an amp. Have you checked that out yet?
    G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
    Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
    Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
    20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

You'll need an amp. Changing out the stock speakers is going to make the new ones sound like crap.

sigpic
      Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

How would changing stock speakers to high end aftermarket ones make a system sound worse?

(I already blew the 6.5 in the door and Ive had the car 1month, thats what pompted me to change everything)

I thought the monsoon system already had an amplifier?

Please explain...

Comment

Oh, sorry. You're going to be putting 4ohm speakers into a car that's set up for 2ohm. As a result, the volume that you get will be about half of what it sounded like on the monsoon.

sigpic
          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Ahhh, so is there anyway around this (without dropping huge amounts of money...)?

Because I dont really want to be heading down to the dealership once a month for a new speaker...

Comment

Even a cheap amp would do it.

sigpic

Comment

I've had my G6 for over a year. Hard rock blasted on my Monsoon has not hurt it. There are some who have had there speakers go bad in a week, Just get a new speaker, it's under warranty.
                Tom made a valid point though. The system is 2 ohms. The sub woofer is incorporated into the rear speakers. Remove those and you lose your bass.
                G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Basically the reason for me replacing the speakers instead of wiring up an amp and sub is because I want the best sound with the fewest mods to the car. Thus replacing amps, and etc. are not really options.

Is there nothing I can do?

Even high end 4ohm speakers will sound like crap on a 2ohm set up?

Comment

If your looking for that the best idea is to leave it, the gain you'll get from going to aftermarket drivers isn't going to be worth the cost/sound difference IMO. It can be done, but I'm not sure the outcome is what you would expect it to be.

Comment

To begin with, IMO, even replacing the speakers and amping them is pointless as the car sits. How much louder do you really want it? The only reason I see replacing the speakers would be if you added a couple subs and needed to balance out the sound.

Secondly, I personally wouldnt waste my money putting in 6x9s. I would get a block off plate and put in some "decent" 5.25s for rear fill. Theres no point to having really good speakers in the rear IMO, I'm not going to go into detail why I think that, but if you want I will. And screw the passengers, they should be lucky enough to even be getting a ride lol.

Next, I'm sorry but your 60watt rms infinity speakers are not "high end". Even amped those would prolly sound worse than the monsoon. And as I said earlier, if you're not planning on adding subs than this next part will mean nothing. Do things once, do them right, get components, GOOD ONES. I'm not going to sit here and say my infinity perfects are the best and everything else sucks. But these components are nice and loud and crisp, definetly better than the monsoon. There are lots of other choices, I only say those because thats what I have.

Just replacing speakers and doing nothing else IMO is just stupid, especially in a car like this. The sound system sounds pretty good and replacing them, using mediocre products isnt going to do anything but waste your money. You want a sound system, get a sound system, dont be like some HS kid and make some half ass system.

All IMO
                      2007 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71 4x4

Comment

^ you make some excellant points...all coming from someone who has money to spend. Sadly I do not.

However I found something that may work with the stock setup:
                        JBL makes 2ohm speakers!

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BlfROtiXwj ... =109GTO927

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BlfROtiXwj ... =109GTO627

will these work? and if so, are they bolt in, or would I need to mod the speaker whole etc...

thanks again!

Comment

then take the money you're going to waste and save up. I highly doubt you'll find anything thats going to make any significant change. So as I said, do things once and do them right IMO.
                          2007 GMC Sierra ECSB Z71 4x4

Comment

Thankyou for the advice, I do normally opt for higher end things because like you, you might as well buy it once, instead of 3 or four times.

However, this time it is not an option.

I would simply like to know if those speakers would work. They eliminate the 2ohm problem, but would they fit in the stock speaker locations?

Comment

Originally posted by strud
                              ^ you make some excellant points...all coming from someone who has money to spend. Sadly I do not.

However I found something that may work with the stock setup:
                              JBL makes 2ohm speakers!

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BlfROtiXwj ... =109GTO927

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-BlfROtiXwj ... =109GTO627

will these work? and if so, are they bolt in, or would I need to mod the speaker whole etc...

thanks again!
                              Those are great speakers actually, from a very good line. But you still need to remember that they are much higher wattage than what the stock system is putting out. At lower levels it might sound nicer but as soon as you start to turn it up it'll sound worse, the monsoon just doesn't have the power to put those to their potential.

Comment

Working...
                              X