Air Intake Problem...might want to read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Intake Problem...might want to read

Ok so i installed my intake about 2 months ago and has been working fine. i was driving home from work saturday and the car just stalled out. it would work in reverse but not in drive. i took it to the dealer and he told me that where the intake was supported to on the drivers side is the pcm ground. he told me that when the engine is in drive, cause it tilts back, pretty much just ripped the pcm ground right out of place causing the problem. you guys might want to look at where yours it mounted to on the driver side cause this isnt covered my warranty, not an expensive fix but preventative maintenance ya no

stage 3 intake i assume?
    -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
    Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

ya its the injen... but im just assuming the dr's mounts the same

Comment

the dr's are mounted after the MAF...they don't go the whole way across the front of the engine like the injen...although he is working on one that does
        my dr. speed stage 3:
        -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
        Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

ya if its only from maf your fine

Comment

damn man, sorry to hear that.
            2006 G6 GTP Coupe
            :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
            :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
            :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

another classic design flaw from Injen.. so that makes what.. two now, firs the mount would rip off and now wires getting ripped out...
              Originally posted by Toyz
              Originally posted by simplyred
              what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
              As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

hooray for R&D!

Originally posted by TLS2000
                Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Ahhh man, poor Injen. I hope this doesn't sound like a plug for DS because it's not... BUT...

I drive with my products on my OWN CAR! If there's a problem with a design, I have much more at stake than a company that borrows a vehicle for a couple days to do a test fit and start turning out products. If I see a problem on my car, it gets addressed. Why do you guys think the Stage 4 is taking so long? After I get the design finallized and get the parts stocked... I need to be 100% sure the product will hold up and not cause any trouble.

To be fair, there's no way they could have known that GM used HORRIBLE engine mounts in these cars. I can't say for sure about your 3500, but the 3900 has WAY too much torque for the mounts they use. Injen could not have known. ......... unless of course, they did more extensive testing.

For their price tag of around $300... shouldn't you get some peace of mind?

/my two cents
                  2006 G6 GTP Coupe
                  :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
                  :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
                  :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

I can't endorse Injen, even though I have their 1st run intake for the G6. I can tell you that I modified mine already. It's no longer being supported in that area.
                    BTW Kyle, when is the stage 4 gonna be finished and in stock?
                    G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                    Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                    Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                    20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

When I installed my Doc Speed CAB, I noticed that there was a little sag in the intake tube when it got near the CA Box itself. The only reason this bothered me is because it got sort of close to the exhaust manifold. So I put a little strip of carton banding around it, poked a hole in the strap where it was just tight enough to add some support and bolted it down using the factory bolt.

Here's a closeup:

And a shot zoomed out a bit:

A pic of the raw material, which you can get from the loading dock anywhere you work that ships out big stuff:

What I like about it is there is enough slack that the engine can still move around without affecting the position of the cone filter, and it never gets any lower. I also like that it's a very simple, easy to install solution to a potential problem. Cheap too! I'm aware that if you install an intake made up of solid pipes without any of the flex joints from the factory, this may not help you. But it's something that also might help a little. :smoke:
                      SOLD * 2006 G6 GTP 6MT * SOLD
                      Crimson Red W/Taupe 2-Tone Leather; DoctorSpeed Stage 4 CAB, Custom Dual Muffler Exhaust ;"JAKED" Lower Grille, GM Strut Bar, Aftermarket Spoiler, White Faced Gauges, Painted Interior Parts, Window Tints, Mostly debadged.
                      CURRENT: 2007 Acura TL Type-S 286 HP 6MT
                      Moroccan Red Pearl /Taupe Leather Sports Seats; Tints: 15% rears, 50% fronts;Axis Hiro 18X8.5 hyper silver wheels w/Yokohama Advan S.4. 245/40/18 UHPAS Tires; Color-Matched Splash Guards

Comment

Good post Dan.
                        Looks similar to mine, with the exception of the materials and location. Mine is located on the right or drivers side. I used aluminum strap I bought at Home Depot. I wrapped Injen's tube and drilled holes through it to mount at the bolt located in Dan's photo.
                        G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                        Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                        Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.

Comment

that sucks. I had the injen at first too, but I couldn't use the pipe that ran along the engine bay because it didn't fit the throttle body. Then I read about the mounts breaking and just sold it. Now with my Stage 3, I have a zip tie through that loophole where the bolt was for the stock airbox right by the maf holding it.
                          -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                            that sucks. I had the injen at first too, but I couldn't use the pipe that ran along the engine bay because it didn't fit the throttle body. Then I read about the mounts breaking and just sold it. Now with my Stage 3, I have a zip tie through that loophole where the bolt was for the stock airbox right by the maf holding it.
                            I know, because I'm the one who bought it.
                            G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888

Comment

Originally posted by ElecBlueG6GT
                              Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                              I know, because I'm the one who bought it.
                              haha yea. were you the one that got the upgraded mounts? Or was that someone else on the G6OC? How's it holding up for you? I liked it, but since it didn't fit the 3.9, I felt kinda cheated and didn't want that pipe just sitting in my garage doing nothing.
                              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Working...
                              X