Turbo Ecotec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Ecotec

I'm not going to be getting work done any time soon, but I am researching....

They have a kit out for the Solstice,
    http://www.turbo-kits.com/solstice_turbo_kits.html

8 PSI on stock engine....
    which means SOMEONE is making a turbo header (IMO the hardest part to get for a custom turbo setup). Now.. .I know this is on a longitudally (sp?) mounted engine, but if the exhaust exits to the turbo toward cylinder 1 (the front of the car) then that means on a FWD I4 it would exit towards the passenger side. Does anyone think the turbo kit (at least the turbo, headers, fuel system, ECU, etc) would work on a G6? Now, granted the 4T45 probably wouldn't hold up and I would need a completely new, and most likely custom exhaust. Not to mention the custom intercooler/intake piping.... All Im wondering is if... would the header work since its the same engine, give the amount of room in my engine compartment?

Plenty of room in back, as you can see..

I dunno, not much discussion on the I4's (primarily due to a lack therof on the forum) just lookin for some input/opinions.
    2007 G5 Base Model
    Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

I was going to get a solstice orginally but the dealership was and still are price gouging the hell out of them! Like 4-5K over MSRP Anyway if I did I was def going to turbo it. I havent seen the engine bay side to side a solstice and G6 but most likely it will all fit. If anything the header might not but I cant see why the fuel system ect wont. Also the ECU might not, need someone else to answer the ECU quetion. You might be able to keep your transmision and posible just change out the torque converter and that will buy some HP on the tranny rating. Then have to see what your axels are rated for.
    2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
    Gotta have it Green color
    Brembo brake package
    420 HP 5.0L
    Ford Racing Power Pack
    GT500 track pack differential cover
    BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Thanks for the input! Actually, thats what I was worried about since, like I said before, a custom turbo header aint cheap... At least compared to one thats mass produced.
      2007 G5 Base Model
      Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

Originally posted by Eco_JUNK
        Thanks for the input! Actually, thats what I was worried about since, like I said before, a custom turbo header aint cheap... At least compared to one thats mass produced.
        After really looking at your pic, the header would work becuase its the same engine, so would bolt right up. But after bolting it up you'll have to custom you exhuast pipe to fit the headers arengments. I think its do-able. Might be better when you do it, instead of using the kits ECU, see if you can get your PCM reprogramed instead, then wont run into any problems if the wiring harnesses are a little diffrenet

2013 Mustang GT
        Brembo brake package
        420 HP 5.0L
        Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

check it out this may or may not help you but

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo-Ma ... enameZWDVW

i have already considered turboing my 2.4 because my buddy is willing to give me a turbo and i have an old truck i could sell to fund the project, but im 19 and not a "tuner kid", i know some stuff but im not about to blow up a brand new car. but maybe that manifold would help you, i think it looks feasible.

Comment

For a job like this, I'd say mod everything around it (exhaust, etc.) a little bit at a time, with the long-term goal of the turbo. I think it'd be a lot less of a headache overall.

- Black/Black, Leather, Monsoon, Panoramic
            - Painted Headlights, 35% Tint, Silver Emblem Overlays
            - DS S3 Intake
            - CarDomain link: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2907956/1

Comment

ummm

so wouldn't the hardest part of installing a turbo on the 2.4 be to find a engine managment program?? when i pondered about doin it that was my major worry, as well as knowing if the engine was low enough compression to handle boost, and how to tap in an oil line to go to the turbo. just seems like a lot of work if you do not have loads of cash to donate to th project

Comment

We all know the Ecotec is a strong motor and the turbo would be wicked. I think you are onto something with that. Seems as if you are doing your homework as well so I would not be suprised if you succeed!

Great work!

John
                Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Thanks, I try. Dude thanks for posting that header on ebay! I wish I could afford it, I'd get it in a heartbeat. I plan on going a little at a time. Do you guys think a 2.2L header would fit my 2.4? Since that manifold fits all ecotecs.... Regardless, thanks for the input guys!
                  2007 G5 Base Model
                  Black 5 Speed

Comment

Do you guys think a 2.2L header would fit my 2.4? Since that manifold fits all ecotecs....
                    pretty sure you answered your own question! I without a doubt agree the manifold/header/whatever is the hardest part of the system.

You already know which injectors and fuel pump to use. Get a hptuner with some custom tuning and a custom downpipe and you are all set!

p.s. I soooooo wish the GTP came with the turbo ecotec instead of the 3.9.
                    04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
                    Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

That would be sick! Actually, I dont know what injectors I would use.... I just imagine they would be bigger. Maybe from the 2.0 S/C ... I would say for the 2.0L turbo in the Solstice, but thats a SDI, so it wouldn't work out.

It may be simply too expensive a project... I may just go all out on N/A. But I love all the input... maybe it will happen one day!
                      2007 G5 Base Model
                      Black 5 Speed

Comment

When are we going to see the lexan windows and no interior?
                        Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Find me a quote! Gotta keep the rest of the interior... I like to listen to music floatin down the freeway.
                          2007 G5 Base Model
                          Black 5 Speed

Comment

That would be sick! Actually, I dont know what injectors I would use.... I just imagine they would be bigger. Maybe from the 2.0 S/C ... I would say for the 2.0L turbo in the Solstice, but thats a SDI, so it wouldn't work out.

It may be simply too expensive a project... I may just go all out on N/A. But I love all the input... maybe it will happen one day!
                            Seroiusly, its not that expensive of a project. If you are going to do it your self then really its not. A ball park figure is 3500 all done, maybe as little as 2000-2500 if you can get deals on parts. Even if you dont do it your self, I had an offer to change my car from TBI to EFI with MAF from speed density so ECU could be modified and a turbo setup for 3500 from a decent speed shop but of corse rebuilt parts not new. But I was tired of dropping money in the car and it was an 86 so saved my money and got the G6. Otherwise I prob wouldnt have my 6er right now. Really even new parts and some one doing it for you maybe 4500. It might seem alot but its not, Its very relistic.

Injectors you can do a search for sites to tell you how to calculate for the proper size but will be around the 35 LBS range, maybe 40LBS

2013 Mustang GT
                            Brembo brake package
                            420 HP 5.0L
                            Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

An 86 what? I had an 86 Crown Vic 351 Windsor PI package, nice boat, but only 2 barrel and it blew up before I could mod it

Im sure I could do it for under 2000. The ECU would most def. be custom, but thats the best way anyways so I can tune it to my specs, exactly how I want the car to run (compressor map, fuel system, etc). Its definately something Im going to keep looking into and gather info from and by the time I actually have the dough, I can make a weekend out of it :smoke: Thanks for the input though, I'd love to have the first turbo Eco - G6. (someone probably already did it but I haven't even heard of it)
                              2007 G5 Base Model
                              Black 5 Speed

Comment

Working...
                              X