Scratch Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scratch Repair

hey as most of you know and for those of you who don't know i just got my g6 a little over a week ago and after it got a little dirty after i got it i spent a fair amount of time hand washing the car and just taking note of the scratches and whatnot on the car recently i've been noticing more and more scratches to the point where is seems like every time i park the car and get into it again there is a new scratch i mean nothing huge but for my first car and my new car its not something i want to see...

So basically i plan to wash, claybar, and wax asap but i would also like to try getting the scratches out since i think i should be able to get most of em out since they are very minor so my question is what would you guys recommend to get minor scratches out? has anything worked for you guys?
    Appearance: Sexy Electric Blue Metallic - 35% Tint, , Painted Calipers, Spyder Halo Projector Headlights, Red Under Dash LED's, Lower Grill Chrome Trim

Performance: Canuck Lowering Springs, Crabs O3 + FPU, Custom Dual Muffler Borla Exhaust, Front Adjustable End Links

Audio: Kenwood DNX5120 Double din, Hifonics HFI1000.1 Mono Amp, RE SEX12D4 12" Subwoofer (pushing 750w), Alpine Type S 6x9 Speakers, Jensen Power 720 amp

Re: Scratch Repair

I've used that 2 in 1 scratch fix stuff. Comes in factory colors and filled/covered my chips and scratches pretty good. I think duplicolor makes it. Only a few bucks if you wanna save $$
    Current: 2015 Volvo s60 t6 awd r-design platinum

Former: 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 3.9L Sedan Silver loaded w/ GT-R Exhaust, CRABS CAB Intake w/ FPU, AIT Carbon Fiber hood & roof wing spoiler, GM Ground Effects Kit, Eagle Eyes black CCFL halo projectors, 18" Konig Airstrike rims, shadow chrome recessed upper/lower grilles, 35% tint all around, tinted tails, Kenwood Excelon X497 Head Unit, R1 concepts drilled/slotted rotors, silver door plate sills, Racingline STB, Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position tires, custom GTP floor/trunk mats, gm carbon silver interior trim kit, CF dart & pillar overlays/plate bracket, rs-1 cf/silver pedals, red calipers w/ GTP logos, chief badge replacements, red/silver painted engine/battery covers, windshield washer relocate

Comment

I think he was talking about rubbing compound.

I use professional buffing compound with my rotary buffer. But if you don't have experience with a buffer and like your paint where it is then I recommend...
      sigpic
      Custom 93 Dyno Tune, Red Painted K&N Intake, GT-R Exhaust, CMS Springs, Racingline STB + Race MMI's, Sacchi S45 Black Wheels, Hankook Ventus V12 245/45ZR18, Delete Intake Resonator, Mobil 1, Red Calipers, Body Color Matched Headlights/Engine/Battery Covers/Interior Trim, Debadged, Tinted Tails, AIT Hood, ZZP Shift Kit, R1 Concepts Rotors + Pads, Summit Racing Trans Cooler, Denso Iridium Plugs, 30% Tint, Suede Upholstered Steering Wheel, Rear STB

Comment

Meguiar's Scratch-X.

The fiance was driving my G6 on the interstate the first month I got it, and hit some plastic bucket in the middle of the road.. :: ugh :: left a nice scratch on the lower ground effects on the side of the car. the Meguiars scratch-x is the only product that worked to get it out.

Its super easy to apply by hand, and difficult to mess up. I strongly recommend it. Its worked like a charm on all kinds of little scratches on the car.
        30% tint front, 15% Tint Back

Mod Wishlist:
        CAI
        MPD Hood
        Exhaust
        ECM Tune

Comment

thanks for your suggestions guys hopefully this sunday i can wash, rub out those scratches, claybar, and wax my car. This will probably take me a good bit of time but should be worth it, i would want to do it saturday but damn wedding i gotta go to is stopping me from taking care of my baby lol
          Appearance: Sexy Electric Blue Metallic - 35% Tint, , Painted Calipers, Spyder Halo Projector Headlights, Red Under Dash LED's, Lower Grill Chrome Trim

Performance: Canuck Lowering Springs, Crabs O3 + FPU, Custom Dual Muffler Borla Exhaust, Front Adjustable End Links

Audio: Kenwood DNX5120 Double din, Hifonics HFI1000.1 Mono Amp, RE SEX12D4 12" Subwoofer (pushing 750w), Alpine Type S 6x9 Speakers, Jensen Power 720 amp

Comment

The claybar is going to scratch the heck out of the car. Automotive claybars have a grit to them usually around 1500, which is just the same as claybaring the car with 1500 grit sand paper. You should normally buff the car after claybaring to remove those scratches. So you might want to clay the car before using the scratch remover.
            sigpic
            Custom 93 Dyno Tune, Red Painted K&N Intake, GT-R Exhaust, CMS Springs, Racingline STB + Race MMI's, Sacchi S45 Black Wheels, Hankook Ventus V12 245/45ZR18, Delete Intake Resonator, Mobil 1, Red Calipers, Body Color Matched Headlights/Engine/Battery Covers/Interior Trim, Debadged, Tinted Tails, AIT Hood, ZZP Shift Kit, R1 Concepts Rotors + Pads, Summit Racing Trans Cooler, Denso Iridium Plugs, 30% Tint, Suede Upholstered Steering Wheel, Rear STB

Comment

would you suggest claybaring the car? or do you think i should just stick with wash remove scratches, then wax?

Comment

If your talking about deep scratches or chips, try this http://drcolorchip.com/. I got a kit last week, but havent tried it yet. I heard some good reviews from other G8 owners.

2009 Liquid Red G8GT
                4 door mafia
                93 octane VMS ecm/tcm tune
                8000k hid's
                Solo Mach Shorty & HFC's
                Rotofab cai and radiator cover
                13.207@107.11
                330 hp/328 tq on a Mustang dyno

Comment

well i picked up some Meguiar's Scratch-X 2.0 from a local part source i couldnt find any HD Uno locally on my lunch and i worked it in on a couple scratches and it seems to have gotten rid of one all together but the others are still kind of visible so i think they may be a little too deep even though they dont look that bad... i'll give them another run over after i wash my car and see if i get any further otherwise ill look into that drcolorchip stuff

Comment

I was also told by an expert detailer all the "over the counter" scratch removers dont work. Some might do alittle, but not eliminate scratches. The only was is to get a DA with a cutter pad and scratch remover and with alittle elbow grease, your paint will be perfect. I just bought a complete detailing kit today, kinda expenseive but it will be worth it. Here is a website where I bought it from http://www.adamspolishes.com/c-12-detail-kits.aspx

2009 Liquid Red G8GT
                    4 door mafia
                    93 octane VMS ecm/tcm tune
                    8000k hid's
                    Solo Mach Shorty & HFC's
                    Rotofab cai and radiator cover
                    13.207@107.11
                    330 hp/328 tq on a Mustang dyno

Comment

yea the over the counter stuff didnt work lol.... made it appear a little faded on some and even looked like it got rid of other scratches but give it an hour or so and all the scratches are back to their true form... and now someone has put their door into mine and i have a nice dent it the door... ever since i've been parking as far as i can away from other cars... it's a pretty small dent but still bugs me need to get it taken out... i've never tried to take a dent out before i'll get a pic up later if someone can tell me how hard it would be to take out or how to do it that would be great

Comment

Originally posted by thestig
                        The claybar is going to scratch the heck out of the car. Automotive claybars have a grit to them usually around 1500, which is just the same as claybaring the car with 1500 grit sand paper. You should normally buff the car after claybaring to remove those scratches. So you might want to clay the car before using the scratch remover.

Are you on crack? Clay does NOT scratch the paint unless you get aggressive clay like Meguiars Red Clay for heavy contaminated spots. What scratches the paint is all the things you pull out of the paint like bug parts and things like that. Thats what you knead the clay after every half panel to prevent scratching. And really...grit like 1500?

As for removing those swirl marks...you will need some kind of a machine...I would suggest a DA polisher for a beginner. Check out a portercable or meguiars G110. (same thing, minor difference) and pick up a polishing pad and a finishing pad.

If you need any help or suggestions shoot me a PM.

EDIT
                        You can get away with hand polishing but youll be at it for a whilllleee and even then youll end up with minor swirls.
                        But if you want to do it that way...Pick up either Meguiars Ultimate compound (AGGRESSIVE stuff) or Swirl X.
                        Make me a signature and ill put it in here...

Comment

^what he said. And if you can catch the said scratches on your nail, they're basically beyond polishing repair.

autopia.org is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                          X