X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota and Honda take over 2nd and 3rd in Canada

Toyota, Honda overtake two of the Big Three in Canada-

Toyota and Honda jumped into second and third place ahead of Ford and
    DaimlerChrysler in September sales in Canada for the first time ever. The trends in Canada are similar to those in America, with U.S. automakers continuing to lose ground to their Japanese counterparts.

In September, combined sales of Chrysler, Ford and GM fell below a 50 percent market share for the first time ever. Toyota, Honda and Nissan sold 69,113 vehicles across the country, while the Big Three collectively sold 66,651 units. Filed in "General Motors, Ford, DaimlerChrysler, Honda, Toyota",

Uh oh....
    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Linky?

Comment

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Conten ... 9048863851

Originally posted by The Toronto Star
      Toyota and Honda pass Ford, Chrysler
      2nd-consecutive monthly increase
      Overall sales in month jump 9.3%

Oct. 4, 2006. 01:00 AM
      TONY VAN ALPHEN
      BUSINESS REPORTER

Toyota and Honda finished second and third in monthly auto sales for the first time in the history of the Canadian auto industry during September.

Reflecting a continuing shift in the market, the two booming Japanese-based auto makers posted more strong gains across the country and finally topped DaimlerChrysler and Ford at the same time last month.

Auto watcher Dennis DesRosiers described the results as a "watershed" for the industry, though they are not surprising since Toyota and Honda have regularly moved ahead of either Ford or DaimlerChrysler in monthly sales during the last year.

Their performances and a big increase by industry leader General Motors boosted overall sales by 9.3 per cent or more than 11,500 to 135,764 vehicles in September from the same month last year.

It marked the first time this year that auto sales, a key indicator of the economy's health, have increased in two consecutive months and signalled the market might be getting some traction.

Sales for the first three quarters of the year are now up 1.3 per cent or more than 16,000 to 1.24 million vehicles from the corresponding 2005 period.

DesRosiers, president of DesRosiers Automotive Consultants, said the latest increases are indicative of a "relatively healthy economy," particularly in Western Canada where sales are "exploding."

Honda Canada raced by DaimlerChrysler and Ford as its sales including the Acura division shot up 46 per cent, or more than 5,000, to a record 16,888 vehicles.

The company attributed the huge increase to an 80 per cent jump in truck sales, particularly of the Pilot sport-utility vehicles and Odyssey minivans.

Sales of the Civic, the country's most popular car, soared 45 per cent.

Sales at Toyota Canada including the Lexus brand climbed 12.1 per cent or almost 2,000 to 17,204 vehicles during September. Toyota has set a record every month this year.

Business at General Motors of Canada Ltd. jumped 8.1 per cent to 35,687 last month. Powered by small utility vehicles Chevrolet Equinox and Pontiac Torrent, truck deliveries soared 21 per cent to 18,467 while car sales dipped 2.9 per cent 17,220.

The auto giant said it expects the overall sales momentum to continue because of the introduction of extended warranty coverage and the launch of new pickup trucks.

DaimlerChrysler Canada Inc. and Ford Motor Co. of Canada Ltd. also reported increases last month, but they were much smaller.

Sales at DaimlerChrysler inched up 0.5 per cent to 16,191. Car volumes climbed 10.4 per cent to 3,775, but truck deliveries slipped 2.2 per cent to 12,416.

Ford, which is restructuring its operations, said its sales rose 1.4 per cent to 15,343. Truck sales improved 1.9 per cent 11,189 while car volumes were flat at 4,154.

DesRosiers suggested Ford and possibly DaimlerChrysler are getting close to what he termed "a slippery slope."

"Most consumers don't fundamentally understand vehicles," he said. "Most consumers look to their neighbours, auto reviews, friends for comfort when buying a vehicle.

In the U.S., Toyota's sales jumped 25 per cent but Honda's business slipped 4.1 per cent. Volumes at GM and Chrysler also declined, while Ford reported an increase of 4.7 per cent.

sigpic
      Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

The numbers does not look good for the BIG THREE !!

2006 Black G6 Sedan , Mobil 1, Custom license Frame Plate, Solar Gard Flim 20% Tint ,Vision Bulbs 6000k HID

Comment

^Oh I dunno. GM still sells more than TWICE the amount of vehicles that Toyota does in Canada.

sigpic
          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
            ^Oh I dunno. GM still sells more than TWICE the amount of vehicles that Toyota does in Canada.
            If you consider there are more people in Calif., than in all of Canada, that's not a lot of vehicles.
            G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
            Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
            Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
            20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Blah blah blah... Its cuz we're outselling ourselves... If we'd all just purchase american (and support our economy) we'd have no problem and GM and Ford would all be making a profit. But it seems whenever I talk to a person there all, TOYOTA this, and HONDA that.

If you ask me all foreign cars are pos's. Not that there isn't bad domestic cars but I've found that GM makes a fine car... as long as its not a lemon. AMERICAN MUSCLE is what we need again. The kind that burn ten gallons of gas in one mile and we need to figure out how to get gas prices down just a bit further and we'd be doing something. I'd have no problem seeing gas at 1.75 again.
              Because only a Computer Network Technician can get his internet speeds this fast:

Comment

well aparently more and more people are disagreeing with you every month

Comment

Canada generally favors smaller, compact vehicles and have less attitude towards imports vs. domestics. If you think American cars have a poor reputation here, it's even worse overseas. One German automaker even advertised their cars as 100% German engineering, 0% American quality. That hurts. Since Canada has a large immigrant population, most of them already have a pre-conception or bias towards the well established import nameplates.

Also, this year, Toyota and Honda had a significant number of new models introduced to the market. This has directly boosted their sales. More frightening is the fact that GM is losing money selling more than double of Toyota's sales while Toyota is rolling in money.

Comment

Originally posted by MalibuMaxx
                    Blah blah blah... Its cuz we're outselling ourselves... If we'd all just purchase american (and support our economy) we'd have no problem and GM and Ford would all be making a profit. But it seems whenever I talk to a person there all, TOYOTA this, and HONDA that.

If you ask me all foreign cars are pos's. Not that there isn't bad domestic cars but I've found that GM makes a fine car... as long as its not a lemon. AMERICAN MUSCLE is what we need again. The kind that burn ten gallons of gas in one mile and we need to figure out how to get gas prices down just a bit further and we'd be doing something. I'd have no problem seeing gas at 1.75 again.
                    Sure, I wish everyone would just buy American and we will once again be the world leader in the auto industry. But to do that we must first build a car that appeals to the general public and proven to be better than the imports. Brand loyalty has to be earned, it cannot be dictated.

Take the Toyota Camry for instance. It's butt ugly and you and me will not want to touch it with a ten-foot pole. But God knows why that car sets the standard for others to follow and will easily and consistently outsell the G6 even at its higher price. Somehow Toyota had figured out the formula of what a mid-size car should be, and they are able to build it and sell it at a comfortable profit. More importantly it is what the people want. The general public seems to like it well enough that they keep buying it year after year, generation after generation. If it is a pos like you said, I doubt it would last this long in the fiercely competitive auto market.

I agree. What domestic automakers do better than anyone else is making American muscle cars. No one in the world can touch us in this segment. In a way not unlike Harley Davidson. It is the one area where the imports will not have a fighting chance. If it is economic viable to develop and specialize in this market segment, I believe American car companies can live forever.

Comment

Working...
                    X