Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theoretically, would this work?

I was daydreaming and thought of this.

More air = more power, usually obtained by a nice exspensive turbo or supercharger.

what if you were to install a regular compressed air tank in the trunk mated with an air hose, and ran the airline inline into the bottom of the air box. Mated with a switch or relay to activate whenever you wanted it. Compressed air always seems to accumulate water, so that would be a major hurdle, but pretend it doesn't for now.

It would sure be nice to pull up to a gas station to fill up your air tank for free, and have forced air on tap.
    BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
    ^ The Man
    v The Legend

I am not thatknowledgable on forced air, but i figured i would a add a few thoughts.
    1. How would you regulate the air pressure comming out of the tank to be consistant with the throttle?
    2. If there is a benefit of this air, then i would imagine the weight of the tank would hurt the vehicles performance. You wouldnt be able to get much consistancy (sp?) out of a small tank.
    3. Why not just run nawz
    Although i understand your thinking, i beleive you day dream is missing alot of factors.
    Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

The volume of air needed would not be met, by those means.

Day Dream Over

Comment

Originally posted by Toyz
        I am not thatknowledgable on forced air, but i figured i would a add a few thoughts.
        1. How would you regulate the air pressure comming out of the tank to be consistant with the throttle?
        2. If there is a benefit of this air, then i would imagine the weight of the tank would hurt the vehicles performance. You wouldnt be able to get much consistancy (sp?) out of a small tank.
        3. Why not just run nawz
        Although i understand your thinking, i beleive you day dream is missing alot of factors.
        I am also not knowledgeable on forced air.
        1. Regulate it? You wouldn't, full blast at the flip of a switch
        2. Tanks aren't that heavy, 5lbs empty, 50lbs full (i'm guessing)
        3. Not as much fun to daydream about stuff that already been done even though it is much simpler to run nitrous

I would say more than alot of factors are missing
        ^ The Man
        v The Legend

Comment

How would you seal the intake so that it doesn't rush out your filter? There is no way that you would actually be able to keep up demand from the engine with a normal hose even at full blast.
          04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
          Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

Originally posted by mbiker97
            How would you seal the intake so that it doesn't rush out your filter? There is no way that you would actually be able to keep up demand from the engine with a normal hose even at full blast.
            duct tape (I'm canadian)
            ^ The Man
            v The Legend

Comment

I've seen a leaf blower add hp on a dyno, wouldn't a compressed air flow more air than a leaf blower?
              ^ The Man
              v The Legend

Comment

i understand your theory, but if it would work, it would have been done already (turbo-nator anyone? lol ) But seriously... you'd need an adjustable FPR to keep up with the demands of all the incoming air along with everything stated above. You could seal the intake in many ways.... pick one. Tape, o-ring, gasket, seal any of those would work...

That would be something to test on a $100 beater car, not a a new g6 :P
                2007 G5 Base Model
                Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

You could try it on a $1,500 mustang

Comment

yea that's the same as adding one of those "electric superchargers" found on ebay for $50...just a lot more air.
                    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

You would have to fill the tank all the time, depending on how much you use it , if you could get it to work in the first place.
                      06 G6 GTP 6sp Silver Sweet !!!!! PONTIAC

Comment

Originally posted by jonnycat
                        2. Tanks aren't that heavy, 5lbs empty, 50lbs full (i'm guessing)
                        it would be like having turbo lag cause you would be losing weight as you sped up

Comment

plus compressed air has to be filled with a special regulator that unfortunately probably coudln't be filled with a regular ol' air hose.
                          06 G6 GT Sedan (Black)
                          Motegi DV5 18" Chrome Wheels
                          Falken 225/45 R18 performance tires.
                          7 window tint (35% front, 17% rear)
                          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2448881

** SOLD ** ** SOLD ** ** SOLD **

Comment

Everyone just remember "theoretically"

Theoretically I could shove one, maybe two fingers in my ass
                            Realistically, fingernails are sharp.
                            ^ The Man
                            v The Legend

Comment

Re: Theoretically, would this work?

Originally posted by jonnycat
                              I was daydreaming and thought of this.

More air = more power, usually obtained by a nice exspensive turbo or supercharger.

what if you were to install a regular compressed air tank in the trunk mated with an air hose, and ran the airline inline into the bottom of the air box. Mated with a switch or relay to activate whenever you wanted it. Compressed air always seems to accumulate water, so that would be a major hurdle, but pretend it doesn't for now.

It would sure be nice to pull up to a gas station to fill up your air tank for free, and have forced air on tap.
                              Change the air to NOS and it just might work.
                              G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                              Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                              Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                              20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Working...
                              X