Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace front hub bearing

Hi guys!!!

Here are the steps I took to replace a faulty front passenger hub bearing.

First of all, you will need the following.

13mm socket
    14mm socket
    17mm socket
    36mm deep socket

3 jaw puller (to remove the hub bearing from the axle)
    1/2 inch torque wrench that goes up to 160 ft/pounds
    U joint extension
    Short and medium socket extensions
    1/2 breaker bar
    New Hub bearing

After safely raising the car and removing the tire, spray some wd-40 or equivalent on the axle threads and nut. This is to clean the threads and help loosing up the nut.

Time to remove the axle nut; stick something in the rotor cooling holes to prevent it from rotating COUNTER clockwise. You may think that the parking gear on the tranny could hold the torque but why risk it. I recommend that you use a breaker bar. The nut size is 36mm.

After removing the nut, we can safely remove the caliper, caliper mounting bracket and the rotor. Be sure to prevent the caliper hang from the hose, be sure to secure it with some wire or tie wrap and tuck it out of the way.

Remove the 3 bolts securing the hub bearing to the knuckle. Be EXTREMELY careful not to damage the CV boot when doing this. The bolts are 13mm

After removing the 3 bolts, the brake shield will be loose and you can actually pull the bearing out of the knuckle. DONT HAMMER on the axle, instead work smartly and get a 2 or 3 (preferred) jaw puller. Be sure to add some lubricant to the spines to help the removal. Be sure to disconnect the ABS sensor from the knuckle before removing the bearing!!!!

Clean the knuckle for dirt and brake dust. I even a light coat of grease on the spines and on the mounting surface of the bearing to help in the install. Just a very light coat. If you overdo this, you will have grease all over the inside of the wheel and probably on the rotors. If in doubt, use some light oil.

Now time to install the new one....

Carefully snake the ABS connector thru the knuckle and axle, don’t connect it yet. Align the brake shield with the holes and slide the new hub bearing. Screw the axle nut HAND TIGHT and screw the hub bearing bolts, again, be very careful when doing this!!
    Also, notice that the bolts have some coloring to it. DONT REMOVE IT!!!
    That is some sort or thread lock and a cool way of knowing which bolt goes.

Don’t torque them yet.
    Be sure that the axle is straight and there is no binding, then start torqueing the bolts in steps up to 85 ft/pounds, to prevent binding. I went from 25, 50 and final torque in a criss cross pattern.
    DONT TIGHTEN THE AXLE NUT YET!!

Install the brake hardware then and only then you can torque the axle nut, AFTER securing the rotor from rotating CLOCKWISE, again to prevent strain on the tranny. Again, torque in steps. I went from 50 to 100 to 125 to 159 just to be sure.

Reconnect the ABS sensor cable and harness, if you have some dielectric grease, now it’s a good time to add some at the connector seal to prevent moisture and water inside the connector and to ease removal in the future.... just in case.

Do a final torque check on all bolts, put the car in neutral and rotate the axle. Check the CV boots for damage, check the axle for binding and the ABS wire for rubbing. Mount the tire back if all clears ok.

Go and do some test drive!! Enjoy the sound of silence!!!

Total time, from raising the car to test drive 1.5 hours and that includes looking for the puller.
    Skill, from 1 to 10, 10 being an expert, I will rate this a 5. If you can change your pads, you can do this.
    As for if you purchase or rent the 36mm socket....well, you will need it if you need to work on the CV joint/boot so for 10 bucks I am sticking with it. It also makes an excellent paper weight at the office!!

Feel free to ask questions!!

Hope this helps those with noisy hub bearings!!
    Last edited by SmartGTP; 04-18-2011, 04:16 PM.

Re: Replace front hub bearing

Nice write up

Comment

great write up, thanks for taking to time to photo doc the process!
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

just helping others in saving some money on a uber easy job
        also, it feels good to give something back to the community that have given me a helping hand when in need.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

Comment

Wow really nice write up. Thanks bud!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
          2009 Chevrolet Silverado 6.2L LTZ Ontario , Canada
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/387787...cab-miss-on-ca
          2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 6.2L 403hp V8**Current ride
          2007 Pontiac G6 V6 3.5L 224hp V6**Lease Return
          2004 Chevrolet Impala 3.4L 180hp V6**Traded
          1999 Dodge Intrepid SE 2.7L 200 hp V6** Traded
          1984 Toyota Cressida 2.8L 156 hp I6**Totaled
          "Drive carefully! Remember, it's not only a car that can be recalled by it's maker."

Comment

Terrific write up. Thanks for doing this.
            Mods: Lampoon's crabs under my hood (CAB and FPU w/K&N)
            Partial debadging, blackout window chrome and black overlays; Racingline FSB;
            Redline Elite Quick Lifts; HSRK; intake resonator delete

Comment

holy hell.

i think i need a new hub bearing on the front left wheel, but i'll leave that to the trained mechanics.

i'd screw that job up baaaaaaaad....
              2009 PONTIAC G8
              MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Its easier that it seems....

You only need the puller and the socket and some wrenching power.
                you can rent some of the tools needed
                torque wrench
                socket

Get up and do this!!!

Comment

Do you have part numbers for Front W/O ABS?

Thanks

Comment

Excellent write-up!

I have a question on a related issue: Since a brakejob requires some of the same 1st steps, and I couldn't find it mentioned--to remove the caliper and mounting bracket, what size sockets do you need?
                    "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
                    ~~GWAR's description of Hell
                    Skaði: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

i'm glad you made this write-up. i have to change mine pretty soon as my passenger front is making noise. thanks man.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

Originally posted by Tupperware SC2

Thanks
                        Sorry, no part number. But you can check it using the GMparts website

Originally posted by LordKOTL
                        Excellent write-up!

I have a question on a related issue: Since a brakejob requires some of the same 1st steps, and I couldn't find it mentioned--to remove the caliper and mounting bracket, what size sockets do you need?
                        I think that is a 17mm socket. Anyway its a common size socket. You will find it in any metric socket kit.

Glad that this write up could help!!!

Comment

Well i dont have ABS but the Wheel bearing W/ABS is cheaper than the one W/O ABS

do you think i could put on the W/ABS on and give a snip snip ot the wire?

hhhmmm.... save 50 for something else?

Comment

Originally posted by SmartGTP
                            Originally posted by Tupperware SC2

Thanks
                            Sorry, no part number. But you can check it using the GMparts website

Originally posted by LordKOTL
                            Excellent write-up!

I think that is a 17mm socket. Anyway its a common size socket. You will find it in any metric socket kit.

Glad that this write up could help!!!
                            D'akujem Pekne!!!! A socket is do-able. i was making sure it wasn't some funky torx bit or a allen socket.

Thanks. Hopefully I can pull it off tomorrow.
                            "Cross creviced chasms vast, and endless plains of unshaven ass"
                            ~~GWAR's description of Hell
                            Skaði: 2008 Pontiac G6 GXP Street Edition

Comment

So lets say you don't have access to the required tools. Who would you go to for the install? Is the dealership the only real reliable option? I bought the parts, just need the install.
                              You're doing it all wrong...you gotta cup the balls, relax the jaw...

Comment

Working...
                              X