Passive Crossover Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passive Crossover Placement

This is my first post here on the forums, and I am in need of some suggestions for passive crossover placement.

I am gutting out the monsoon garbage and replacing all of the speakers and amp. I am going for stealth and factory placement so I am mounting the amp (Eclipse EA4200) in the stock location (making my own mount). I was wondering where any/everyone has placed their passive crossovers? I've heard that putting them behind the door cards is bad so is there any feasable location inside the cabin that could safely hide them? The crossovers are about 3" x 5" and about 1" tall.

Any suggestions and/or pictures of the install are greatly appreciated.
    2005 G6 GT - Sport Red Metallic - Sound and Sun Package

Pioneer 4200IB, Polk DB6501, Polk DB691, Eclipse EA4200, Dynamat Extreme, Kicker wiring

Re: Passive Crossover Placement

i am still using stock speakers and the only amplification is my head unit....

I have installed them in other cars... i always mounted them in the door but i can see what you are saying. the water that leaks in the door and between teh window and seal can create an issue. What about mounting them behind the glove box... run wires from there thru where the factory wires run so that you dont see anything.

would that work? it might be kind of far away but the factory amp is far too.....

Comment

Mount to the door.
      Mods:Vector 93 Tune, OBX Racing Header(Cobalt), ZZP Connectors, Skunk2 Exhaust,Kenwood DVD/Navi System, 2 MTX 12's, 2 amps, Kicker 6x9"(rear), Alpine Type-S(front), Eneki EKM3 Wheels(18x8"), Tinted Tails, Black Projector Headlights, OEM Fogs, DDM Tuning 10K in both, Debadged, Racingline STB, OEM Carbon Fiber Hood

The only lady im gonna be pimpin from now on, is sweet lady propane!-Hank Hill

Comment

Originally posted by Tupperware SC2

I have installed them in other cars... i always mounted them in the door but i can see what you are saying. the water that leaks in the door and between teh window and seal can create an issue. What about mounting them behind the glove box... run wires from there thru where the factory wires run so that you dont see anything.

would that work? it might be kind of far away but the factory amp is far too.....

Would there be any electrical interference issues with mounting them behind the glove box? Heat issues?

Pioneer 4200IB, Polk DB6501, Polk DB691, Eclipse EA4200, Dynamat Extreme, Kicker wiring

Comment

i dont know....

Comment

Originally posted by juttcann

No it would just be a waste of time and wiring.

Would there be any electrical interference issues with mounting them behind the glove box? Heat issues?
            There would be no problem in doing that, it would just be a waste of time and wiring.
            Mods:Vector 93 Tune, OBX Racing Header(Cobalt), ZZP Connectors, Skunk2 Exhaust,Kenwood DVD/Navi System, 2 MTX 12's, 2 amps, Kicker 6x9"(rear), Alpine Type-S(front), Eneki EKM3 Wheels(18x8"), Tinted Tails, Black Projector Headlights, OEM Fogs, DDM Tuning 10K in both, Debadged, Racingline STB, OEM Carbon Fiber Hood

Comment

Originally posted by Curtismaximus123
              Originally posted by juttcann

No it would just be a waste of time and wiring.

There would be no problem in doing that, it would just be a waste of time and wiring.
              Please elaborate....

Comment

#1 It would be difficult to mount and run the wires from behind the glove box because of limited space. remember your gonna be working with a total of 6 wires(each with 2, a positive and negative) + the 2 crossovers.
                #2 When you run the wires to the left door speakers you will have to run them through the glove box, behind the center console, underneath the driver side, through the door, and finally to you speakers. Remember thats with 2 wires of 2. The passenger side wouldn't be that long or difficult but still a PITA!

To be honest I dont care what you do but I will be a lot easier to run 1 wire to both sides and distribute the wires from inside the door.

The main thing is if something happens to the wires ( say one gets cut or striped and grounded) you would have to check every single wire from the crossover to the speaker to find out what wire is messed up. If the crossovers are in the door you can just take the door panel off and look at all of the wires in one central location. I have had to do this and I would have been pissed if I had to rerun the wires, all I did was take the door panel off and I saw that one of my wires had been cut.

Comment

Working...
                X