PDA

View Full Version : Tune/Tuner

CrimsonGTP
04-12-2010, 02:12 PM
when you order a tuner, do they like...preprogram the thing for your mods or is it totally on you to do stuff to it? Cuz i mean once i find someone who knows wtf they are doing to help me fine tune it great, but if theres like a canned base to start with that would be awesome. I mean i read that you have options of stock, and performance so does that mean it comes with a tune in it or something? when you order does it ask mods or something...wtf....

this is the one i was looking at..

http://marylandspeed.com/diablosport-pr ... p-643.html (http://marylandspeed.com/diablosport-predator-flash-tuner-2004-ls1-pontiac-gto-dia-u7193-p-643.html)

WoodburyMan
04-12-2010, 02:36 PM
I can answer that! I'm buds with one of the Diablosport developers actually :lol:

You order it, it's a out of the box tune with some adjusted parameters.

What it does is read your original tune from the vehicle. (Around 32kb or something.. not much). The tune they have in it from the factory is applied. It only has the changed parametes saved.. which is only like 3-4kb.... so really not too much. They net 5-10hp maybe, but it's not for your vehicle at all. (For example when Chris makes his tunes for G6s, vehicles with Diablosport does not support, he customizes the tune for intakes, etc, and does different timing and stuff.

Now, enter custom tuning with Diablosport. One example... SLP sells their own custom tune files that you flash with a Predator/Trinity. These tune files are larger, 10kb or so so LOTS of changes, and are done to accomidate their header, exhaust, etc packages that they sell, "Bobcat 490" package etc. Now.. you can also get a custom tune done. Predator/Trinity have logging features. (Trinity MUCH MUCH easier to use).. where you record 8/9 different parameters, like the dashhawk can. You can log a steady cruise for 15-20 minutes... You then send this log file to someone that works with Diablosport tuners.. they look at it and modify it and send you back a new tune based on your vehicle. This log file in my case was like 20kb+ so MANY MANY changes from the stock tune... (differences from stock.. so 20/32 new timing and stuff). Then you do more logs with the revision... mainly WOT runs running through as many gears as you can to make sure the upperband is tuned properly. You log those.. they will do further revisions until it's right. In my case I had a total of 4 revisions till everything was spot on.. might do another now that it's warmer weather. Nice thing is when you get other mods, they can modifty it for you. However.. you're stuck when it comes to certain things, like CAMs and such where you MUST TUNE for before being able to even turn on... but suppose you could get a peliminary tune that would let you run it and log from them.

WoodburyMan
04-12-2010, 02:40 PM
Oh. And this is why I said get a '05+ :lol: The trinity is literally 100x easier to use than the Predators because of touchscreen interface, especially when driving, the large screen helps. It can also hold like dozens of tunes files and hours and hours of logs since it has 100+mb of space vs just a few mb on the Predators. :lol:

If you wanna know the guy that does mine let me know. He lives right here in town with mine. I'll have dyno sometime this summer too.

CrimsonGTP
04-12-2010, 02:41 PM
I can answer that! I'm buds with one of the Diablosport developers actually :lol:

You order it, it's a out of the box tune with some adjusted parameters.

What it does is read your original tune from the vehicle. (Around 32kb or something.. not much). The tune they have in it from the factory is applied. It only has the changed parametes saved.. which is only like 3-4kb.... so really not too much. They net 5-10hp maybe, but it's not for your vehicle at all. (For example when Chris makes his tunes for G6s, vehicles with Diablosport does not support, he customizes the tune for intakes, etc, and does different timing and stuff.

Now, enter custom tuning with Diablosport. One example... SLP sells their own custom tune files that you flash with a Predator/Trinity. These tune files are larger, 10kb or so so LOTS of changes, and are done to accomidate their header, exhaust, etc packages that they sell, "Bobcat 490" package etc. Now.. you can also get a custom tune done. Predator/Trinity have logging features. (Trinity MUCH MUCH easier to use).. where you record 8/9 different parameters, like the dashhawk can. You can log a steady cruise for 15-20 minutes... You then send this log file to someone that works with Diablosport tuners.. they look at it and modify it and send you back a new tune based on your vehicle. This log file in my case was like 20kb+ so MANY MANY changes from the stock tune... (differences from stock.. so 20/32 new timing and stuff). Then you do more logs with the revision... mainly WOT runs running through as many gears as you can to make sure the upperband is tuned properly. You log those.. they will do further revisions until it's right. In my case I had a total of 4 revisions till everything was spot on.. might do another now that it's warmer weather. Nice thing is when you get other mods, they can modifty it for you. However.. you're stuck when it comes to certain things, like CAMs and such where you MUST TUNE for before being able to even turn on... but suppose you could get a peliminary tune that would let you run it and log from them.

ok so i hook up the predator, drive around a bit. send it into diablo, they send me back a tuned file, i then retune the car, then do WOT runs, send those in, they tune again and send back, i flash again and its done and tuned? and they do all the for free once i buy the tuner?

WoodburyMan
04-12-2010, 02:54 PM
You got it a bit wrong :lol:

Diablosport just sells it with their packaged tune. It's out of their hands after that. There's a few guys that do tuning and such for vehicles, the guy I know has the software and stuff to modify the tune files and such, and sticks to and just does GM things.. theres some others on the DiabloSport forums that will do others as well.. they usually charge like $100 or so to do the tuning.

CrimsonGTP
04-12-2010, 03:15 PM
You got it a bit wrong :lol:

Diablosport just sells it with their packaged tune. It's out of their hands after that. There's a few guys that do tuning and such for vehicles, the guy I know has the software and stuff to modify the tune files and such, and sticks to and just does GM things.. theres some others on the DiabloSport forums that will do others as well.. they usually charge like $100 or so to do the tuning.
so if i bought the tuner, id have to pay another 100 bucks just for someone to actually make it tuned to my car? and that would just be sending the tuner i just paid 400 bucks for, to some random dude who hopefully knows what hes doing? if thats correct then eff that with a 30 foot pole. ill dyno tune for less than that prolly.

stevey722
04-12-2010, 03:17 PM
dyno tune prolly around 500-600 bucks

WoodburyMan
04-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Agreed. Dyno dunes run upwards of $100/hr with usually 2 hour min.

The guy I know does a good job. He's done 100's and 100's of GM LSx cars. He has a MonteSS LS4 too. ANd I know where he lives, about 2mi from me :lol:

leong6gtp
04-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Erik is friends with all the ballers SON. :clownshoes:

CrimsonGTP
04-12-2010, 05:42 PM
Agreed. Dyno dunes run upwards of $100/hr with usually 2 hour min.

The guy I know does a good job. He's done 100's and 100's of GM LSx cars. He has a MonteSS LS4 too. ANd I know where he lives, about 2mi from me :lol:
well its what 394 for the tuner and 100 for someone to tune it after....sooooo equal price for a dyno tune??

leong6gtp
04-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Pretty sure im going to have rpm tune mine

CrimsonGTP
04-12-2010, 08:08 PM
and ur able to go to their shop? are they located close to you or somethin?

thestig
04-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Is a dyno tune better than the other kinds of tunes? What are the pros and cons to each type?

CrimsonGTP
04-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Is a dyno tune better than the other kinds of tunes? What are the pros and cons to each type?
were talking GTO here. for the G6, i guess the mash up between chris whites tunes or a dyno tune idk who wins. but i had a tune from chris and it rocked.

leong6gtp
04-12-2010, 09:39 PM
and ur able to go to their shop? are they located close to you or somethin?
Yeah they are right in DE, about an hour or so drive. I want a CAM BAD so i want to get a cam and then go have that shit tuned. I just need to get the funds.

WoodburyMan
04-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Okay.

"Box" tune. = A generic tune for your type of vehicle and model. Not adjusted for your car at all. Simple slightly adjusts timings and such to get a small amount of power.

"Custom" Tune = Somewhat like a box tune, however adjusted for parameters like cold air intake, exhaust, etc... mods you to. Great deal better than Box tunes. Perfectly fine for small mods like exhaust, intake, etc.

Dyno Tune = Nice. Completely done custom for your vehicle. Will net you the greater power hands down. Dyno tuning allows for your to measure imidiately what a tune does for a car, and adjust it back and forth until your reach peak power. Has its downfall, as its makes the most power... but... it might not be safe for daily driving... and not necisarily best 1/4 mile... and it could damage the car if it pushed everything to far for constant use like in daily driving, or doing multiple 1/4 mile passes at a track.....

Street tune = Longer process of tuning. It involves logging parameters while driving under different conditions... cruising and driving, driving hard, and doing WOT runs to get it in the upper band to see how the car handles fuel and such at higher RPM's. Takes several revisions to get it right, usually best over multiple days, and varrying weather conditions actually help as well so it will be better tuned for the conditions in your area. It has its downfalls, as it takes longer to do, and sometimes it may not be good for your upper RPM band just due to the fact you cant romp on it on the streets like you can a dyno. However, much safter for the car and reliable as heat conditions are more on targer.. as you get more heat soak and less cooling on a dyno than actually moving on the road and having air go through the car cooling it.

CrimsonGTP
04-12-2010, 09:42 PM
no biased? haha. but how the fuck do i do this street tune like you without paying 10 million dollars?

thestig
04-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Dyno Tune = Nice. Completely done custom for your vehicle. Will net you the greater power hands down. Dyno tuning allows for your to measure imidiately what a tune does for a car, and adjust it back and forth until your reach peak power. Has its downfall, as its makes the most power... but... it might not be safe for daily driving... and not necisarily best 1/4 mile... and it could damage the car if it pushed everything to far for constant use like in daily driving, or doing multiple 1/4 mile passes at a track.....

Thanks! Good info.

Why wouldn't it give you the best 1/4 mile?

zlatsky
04-12-2010, 10:17 PM
erik that makes no sense at all. dyno tuning is best for the 1/4 because it was tuned during wot.

WoodburyMan
04-13-2010, 07:46 AM
erik that makes no sense at all. dyno tuning is best for the 1/4 because it was tuned during wot.
It can be best. Yea, but you can tune for WOT under street tune although yes its limited compared to dyno, although less acurate but it can be done in more realistic conditions.. not with just a small fan blowing over the car and when there's actual movement and cooling so intake air temps are more accurate along with everything else in the engine being slightly cooler.

CrimsonGTP
04-13-2010, 09:03 AM
So for me to do this street tune I would have to buy that thing, make logs, then have some shmuck alter things and then reprogram?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://www.g6performance.com/phpBB3/images/mobile.png

WoodburyMan
04-13-2010, 09:17 AM
So for me to do this street tune I would have to buy that thing, make logs, then have some shmuck alter things and then reprogram?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] http://www.g6performance.com/phpBB3/images/mobile.png
Well basically.. The Trinity / Predator is just a tuning device that allows you to tune it.

You can use a program called DSLogRedux to have it anaylize the log files for your and give you some suggestions on what to do, and you can adjust some parameters yourself.. but the best way is to have someone who knows what theyre doing do it lol.

Pedobear
04-13-2010, 10:06 AM
You should come down to Springfield, Chris Eules is a badass LSX tuner. Tuned a lot of LSX stuff around here.

CrimsonGTP
04-13-2010, 01:54 PM
You should come down to Springfield, Chris Eules is a badass LSX tuner. Tuned a lot of LSX stuff around here.
hmmmmmmm perhaps that will be something i do at the STL meet......idk tho.

LoJac963
04-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Interceptors have the ability to log also right?

WoodburyMan
04-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Interceptors have the ability to log also right?
Not sure. I think so, just like the DashHawk....

However after having the Trinity, datalogging on the DH and Interceptor is crap :lol: DH can only do like what, 4 logs of like 60 seconds? Trinity... 100mb.. One like 40 minute log I did was like 20mb. So more than you'll ever need. Unless your doing the bull run or something LOL.

LoJac963
04-16-2010, 01:38 PM
^true, Trinity is definitely the big dog of the logging world hands down but also costs $$$$$

Luckily we have a reputable tuner here in AZ who has done basically every goat in the valley including mine when I bought it. However with the demodded trade in the tune is worthless. However I will only be charged for a retune since he has already tuned it and I've spoken and met with the original owner of my car and said he would get me a deal. Once headers and full exhaust are done she'll go back for a another dyno tune

CrimsonGTP
04-16-2010, 01:55 PM
modern muscle near chi will do a dyno tune for 400 bucks. too easy of a decision for me.

zlatsky
04-16-2010, 04:55 PM
dyno tune > everything else

WoodburyMan
04-16-2010, 06:48 PM
dyno tune > everything else
Matter of opinion. Like i said a dyno tune is for max performance, not nec best for streeting and durability ;). Mixture of both would be good in a perfect word, few runs on a dyno, few runs around town..

zlatsky
04-16-2010, 06:58 PM
i'm going to learn to tune myself when i get a gto. tuner at snl said it's really easy to figure it out, but completely impossible to be perfect. he learns something new everyday.

LoJac963
04-22-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm sure its not easy as your guy has told you or else everyone would be doing their own tuning as opposed to paying hundreds of dollars to have it done! Not to mention the price for tuners, software, etc

CrimsonGTP
05-31-2010, 04:48 PM
what did we figure on gains from intake and exhaust plus dyno tune? as in the gains ill see from the dyno tune? the superchips tuner for my car is only 350 bucks and its supposed to give me 23 hp and 26tq gain.

CrimsonGTP
07-27-2010, 09:35 PM
to bump/update this thread, my car is getting tuned on saturday mid day using hp tuners on the street...w0ot!