No announcement yet.

So... I just changed my spark plugs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So... I just changed my spark plugs...

Been running heavy miles (put about 17000 on car in a short time commuting to job) and just changed my spark plugs over from the factory AC Delco's to the E3's. Car seems much snappier. I do have a question however, the engine is not what I would call silent (engine does not sound the same), and I'm wondering if I didn't get a plug fully seated....

I did follow the suggestion on forum and disconnect the battery for about 15min after I replaced the plugs to have the car re-learn the new spark plug timings a bit (not sure if this makes any difference).

Would I notice a loss in compression? I don't believe I'm getting any misfires. Ran it down the road and it seems ok, it is snappier anyway. Not seeing any noticeable oil around the plugs so far.

Only reason I'm so nervous is the 3 plugs on the back side were really hard to replace ( my arms are definitely sore after all the scraping), so I'm not sure I got them fully seated, and I had the 3rd plug on the front be a pain for the oil stick (actually had a socket stuck in the well over the top of the spark plug for over 40min, until by some miracle I got it out with needle nose pliers and some heavy swearing).

So I'm not sure if the new noise I'm hearing is air escaping from the plug area, or if it is somehow all my imagination running away from me.

Re: So... I just changed my spark plugs...

NO NO NO NO NO NO!

These plugs are a complete waste. Your best bet with any of the V6 motors in these cars is the AC Delco Iridium plugs.
    -Chris-
    -2003 Pontiac Grand Am GT Sedan-
    MP Racing CAI/Mangaflow High Flow Cat/Flowmaster 80 series w/glasspack resonator/MSD ignition: 8.5mm wires and coils/Black housing headlights/tinted GT tails and 3rd light/17" ROH Adrenalin's/235/45 R17 General Exclaim UHP tires/Baer Decela Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/ceramic pads/6000K HID's/dual post mirror swap/SC/T spoiler/20% tint

There's a Grand Am on your G6 site. lul

Comment

Any particular reason you are against the E3's? I've not seen any reason mentioned.

Comment

They're gimmick plugs. There is no actual gain with them. The AC Delco iridiums do the job, the E3's don't add any horsepower or add MPG's. Do some research, you'll be surprised with what you find.

Here you go, a link from another site I'm on with a lot of good info on plugs and gimmick plugs:
        http://www.grandamgt.com/forum/showthre ... ugs&page=2
        -Chris-
        MP Racing CAI/Mangaflow High Flow Cat/Flowmaster 80 series w/glasspack resonator/MSD ignition: 8.5mm wires and coils/Black housing headlights/tinted GT tails and 3rd light/17" ROH Adrenalin's/235/45 R17 General Exclaim UHP tires/Baer Decela Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors w/ceramic pads/6000K HID's/dual post mirror swap/SC/T spoiler/20% tint

Comment

Well, that is exactly the point. I thought I did do my research by searching the forum. But I was more looking for an answer to my question than the plugs themselves.

Anyway, I had followed this listing on the forum:
          viewtopic.php?f=28&t=27126

The original plugs when I pulled them out were not in good shape, alot of wear, didn't seem to make a difference that they were platinum/iridium tip, 100,000 mile rated or not.

Again, regardless of all this, my original question still stands. What noise should I be listening for for possible compression loss, if I somehow didn't get the plugs tight? I believe that I did, but things don't sound exactly the same. Again, it could all just be my imagination.

Comment

That noise is a knock more than likey, from the fuel not combusting right in the cylinder chamber. The E3's don't have the right temp range for our cars. I've seen guys have issues with all sorts of GM V6's with these plugs, from L36's and L67's to LA1's, LG8's and L82's.
            -Chris-

Comment

ROFL have fun with those pos i thought my car would blow they arent perfect so i hope u shaped them have fun with bad accel like really bad and idle
              Cold air intake, racingline engine mounts, painted engine cover, tinted tail lights, resonator delete, red and black calipers, Flowmaster 50 series, black upper recessed grills,cobalt ss/tc rims, massive audio nano 800w amp, pioneer A series 460W speakers, pioneer double din touch screen headunit and debadge[color=#FF0000][

My Progression:http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...;s+progression
              JOIN FOREVERPONTIAC.COM...NOW!!!!!!

Comment

Well, acceleration has been fine so far. But I'll keep your overflowing review in mind. I did keep the old plugs after all.

Comment

Originally posted by landis
                  I did keep the old plugs after all.
                  No point in re-installing old plugs. Might as well buy new AC Delco Iridiums and call it a day.
                  -Chris-

Comment

Will be more than a day to get them installed, seeming as how the last ones went in. Don't have another day off until Thursday anyway.

Comment

Will be more than a day to get them installed, seeming as how the last ones went in. Don't have another day off until Thursday anyway.
                      More than a day? It's an hour and half job at tops. If you got the right socket, with extensions and u-joints, it's too easy. Just don't strip the threads on the heads, or you're SOL.
                      -Chris-

Comment

maybe he had a beer in his other hand....

Comment

Nope, don't drink beer. The front 3 went easy enough, took about half an hour. It was the rear three that took 3 hours. And yes, I have the right tools.

Comment

Nope, don't drink beer.

Comment

Nope, don't drink beer. The front 3 went easy enough, took about half an hour. It was the rear three that took 3 hours. And yes, I have the right tools.
                              Just curious, why so long? I mean, it's just not that hard. I'm having a hard time taking in that.
                              -Chris-

Comment

Working...
                              X