Best Jack Location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Jack Location?

I have a floor jack and was wondering if anyone has any tips on jack points? I know there are jack points on the sides the stock jack fits in, but that's not usable for the floor jack.

Thanks

Re: Best Jack Location?

those arrows on the skirts pointing to the pinch weld will work fine. it wont crush them. there is no real GREAT place to jack them up on the inside of the pinch weld other than the sub frame and then its hard to maneuver the jack to jack it up.

Comment

^I personally wouldn't use a floor jack on the stock jack points-those are specifically made for the stock scissor jack. I would find a good spot such as where the A-arms bolt into the main body of the car and jack it up on those spots-much stronger and stable IMO
      TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

the pinch weld is made for jacking the thing up. as long as you only need the one corner it will be fine. i mean honestly the only difference between a floor jack and a scissor jack is the scissor jack is a piece of crap.but on either one the same amount of weight is pushing back down on the jack. the pinch weld would crush with the scissor jack as easily as it would on a floor jack. thats what the pinch weld is made for. as a jack point. i've used it everytime ive jacked my car up and it has held up fine.

Comment

yes however the scissor jacks have a slot cut in them which fits over the weld line, the two sides of the plate continue up to push against the frame (rocker). You're talking about putting the saddle of a floor jack directly on that protrusion which would normally be in the cutout of the scissor jack which prevents the scissor jack from jumping out.

Its hard to explain and I can't find any pics of the stock G6 jack
          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

every floor jack ive ever seem or used has had that same slotting to it

Comment

hmm maybe we're talking about different things because almost all scissor jacks use the slot in the top and virtually ALL floor jacks (not stock jacks) use a saddle, a concave metal bowel I guess you could call it

Comment

In the front i jack from the cradle

in the back i jack where the rear arm attaches to the body.... there is a large hunk of metal there.

Comment

Originally posted by Tupperware SC2
                  In the front i jack from the cradle

in the back i jack where the rear arm attaches to the body.... there is a large hunk of metal there.
                  same spots I used when I had the 6

Comment

Thanks for the quick replys guys ... Off this topic but has anyone done outer tie rod ends? Thats the weekends projects, drivers side has play in it. Just wondering if there are any "tricks"

Comment

^sorry no, when I had the tires replaced just before trading it in my tie rod was shot on the passenger side-replaced under warranty

FYI-if warranty work is performed on suspension components the alignment has to be done for free as per GM guidelines-explained to me by my shop guy at my old dealership (quality guy). That being said if you need alignement done and its time for tires get the new tires and take the car into the shop for "suspension issues"

Comment

outer tie rods are easy. just remember to count the threads as you back it off to make sure the one you put back on has similar or the same alignment

Comment

I got the Tie rod puller ... little two jaw thing with a screw down the middle, supposed to make it easier to get them out, do you know where to position it for it to work right?

Comment

thats a two jaw puller and thats usually for hub assemblies etc. on a tie rod the tie rod is basically screwed on to the axle/halfshaft whichever youd like to call it. then it goes down through a hole that is on a metal assemblie that attaches to the wheel. there is a nut on the end. you undo that nut with a 3/4 drive socket and ratchet/impact then you pull it out of that hole then there is a jamnut that the tie rod is wedged onto you put a wrench on the jamnut and a pipe wrench on the tie rod itself. then turn the tie rod to the left. see if that loosens it. if not try the other direction. once you get it loose count the amount of threads you backed it off...then just leave the old jamnut on there and put the new tierod on counting the threads to put it back on then tighten the jamnut against it once you have it to the thread count your old one was at. then put it down threw the metal assembly and put the nut on. (also there may be a carter pin going through the old tie rod beneath the first nut you take off. pull that out and put your new one in once you get it back through and the nut back on.) then attach the grease fitting, grease her up and your good to go.

Comment

Working...
                            X