X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air/Fuel Controller

Anybody used one of these?
    http://www.andysautosport.com/pontiac/2 ... 08785.html
    Or should I just get my ECM reprogrammed. If the manual controller works id rather do that so I can keep my factory settings and keep my warranty.
    BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

I have on other peoples cars, but for a next to stock G6's there's no point. And if your going to dump 400 dollars on that then save up the extra 100 and buy HP tuners which you can do much more with, only downside is its not on the fly tuning but the positives still out weigh the negatives.
    2009 Panther Black G8 GT
    334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Is reprogramming your ECM the same thing almost only permanent. Cause its about the same to get that done. I am trying to decide if I want to drive my girlfriends car for a week while my ECM get reprogrammed (I dont feel like paying the $400 core charge) or purchase one of these controllers where I tune it myself and change it back. But I'm not sure which its better and safer for my vehicle. :smoke:

Comment

Originally posted by reubenk
        Is reprogramming your ECM the same thing almost only permanent. Cause its about the same to get that done. I am trying to decide if I want to drive my girlfriends car for a week while my ECM get reprogrammed (I dont feel like paying the $400 core charge) or purchase one of these controllers where I tune it myself and change it back. But I'm not sure which its better and safer for my vehicle. :smoke:
        The AFC will only modify fuel, where as an ECU such as The Vector ECU modifies fuel, timing, TQ Management ect, and its plug and play. The AFC is about 10 wires and you still have to know what you’re doing as far as tuning. This is not a product that you can simply slap on and expect more power.

HP Tuners give you the ability to tune a lot more than that AFC, but once again you still need to know what you’re doing.
        2009 Panther Black G8 GT
        334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Originally posted by Blackrider
          The AFC will only modify fuel, where as an ECU such as The Vector ECU modifies fuel, timing, TQ Management ect, and its plug and play. The AFC is about 10 wires and you still have to know what you’re doing as far as tuning. This is not a product that you can simply slap on and expect more power.

HP Tuners give you the ability to tune a lot more than that AFC, but once again you still need to know what you’re doing.
          Hmm, not sure what an hp tuner is. Guess thats a good sign to go with the Vector ECU
          With the custom tuning, how hard are they to learn? I dont want to ruin my car by trying it out on the first time, but if its possible to get better gains with an HP tuner Id like to learn how to watch, monitor and adjust the settings. :smoke:

Comment

Hmm, not sure what an hp tuner is. Guess thats a good sign to go with the Vector ECU
            With the custom tuning, how hard are they to learn? I dont want to ruin my car by trying it out on the first time, but if its possible to get better gains with an HP tuner Id like to learn how to watch, monitor and adjust the settings. :smoke:
            It take alot of time and reading, to learn, try hptuners.com They have a good web forum with lots of info.
            2009 Panther Black G8 GT
            334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Short answer if you don't know how to tune go with a Vector setup. If you have the knowledge and will (i.e. a wideband, tuning knowledge, feel like fooling with your car, etc) go with the hptuners setup.

p.s. If it is your first time tuning a hptuner setup may not be right for you, but you have to learn somewhere!
              04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
              Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

hmm the vector ecm looks alot simpler. I still want to learn how to custom tune my car though. Short of taking a mechanics class are there any books or websites I could go to/get to read up on tuning? :smoke:

Comment

hmm the vector ecm looks alot simpler. I still want to learn how to custom tune my car though. Short of taking a mechanics class are there any books or websites I could go to/get to read up on tuning? :smoke:
                  A mechanics class wouldn't teach you how to anyway. Search the web for tuning 101. It isn't hard to do, but it is hard to do very well. You just adjust fueling and timing until you get to the desired results.
                  04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:

Comment

yeah but you can only push your engine so far. What I was looking for was suggestion on what not to do for example a 1:1 mix will blow up your engine, dont do it where as a 3:1 mix gives optimum (sp). I just put it random numbers I read some where what a good mix was I just dont remember. Im not looking to customer tune my car as much as being able to swap it back from speed to fuel economy. So I can have it on the factory setting and get good mpg but switch it to optimum performance when wanted/needed. Thats why I was looking at a the controller, I can change it on the fly. Ill do a search for tuning though and see what tutorials I can find. Was hoping someone here had done that with their car already. :smoke:

Comment

stoichiometric air fuel mixture is 14.7:1

Comment

see thats what im looking for. Id like to know what I should tune my engine to and if the controller is what I need to do it.
                        I guess Ill just use the vector ECM, hope they dont notice if anything goes wrong and I have to use my warranty powers. :smoke:

Comment

see thats what im looking for. Id like to know what I should tune my engine to and if the controller is what I need to do it.
                          I guess Ill just use the vector ECM, hope they dont notice if anything goes wrong and I have to use my warranty powers. :smoke:
                          When I tune mine I am going to shot for 12.5:1 during WOT (wide open throttle). When you are cruising you are under closed loop fueling and you want 14.7:1 (stoichiometric i.e. stoich) the ideal fueling for a internal combustion engine for efficiency. There is zero reason for multiple maps. Driving WOT is bad for mpg no matter what. When you tune your car you won't touch the cruising map so don't worry about it.

On this motor I have no idea about timing, but basically you run tuning as high as possible (before top dead center) without knock (aka detonation).

I'm sorry I don't have any concrete numbers for you. The biggest rule of tuning is that a bunch of small step are always better than a few large steps. Don't ever take a large step during tuning. Go 1 degree, and then more if nessecary.

Comment

Originally posted by mbiker97
                            When I tune mine I am going to shot for 12.5:1 during WOT (wide open throttle). When you are cruising you are under closed loop fueling and you want 14.7:1 (stoichiometric i.e. stoich) the ideal fueling for a internal combustion engine for efficiency. There is zero reason for multiple maps. Driving WOT is bad for mpg no matter what. When you tune your car you won't touch the cruising map so don't worry about it.

On this motor I have no idea about timing, but basically you run tuning as high as possible (before top dead center) without knock (aka detonation).

I'm sorry I don't have any concrete numbers for you. The biggest rule of tuning is that a bunch of small step are always better than a few large steps. Don't ever take a large step during tuning. Go 1 degree, and then more if nessecary.
                            For an NA application 12.5 is a bit much. I woul go for somewhere in the mid to low 13's.
                            2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                            334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

For an NA application 12.5 is a bit much. I woul go for somewhere in the mid to low 13's.
                              Really?. That seems a bit hot, but I'll see soon enough later.

Comment

Working...
                              X