spring clamps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spring clamps

Has anybody used spring clamps to lower their car? Ive heard good things about them and bad things. Right now a lowering kit is too much for me, I have to go the cheaper way.
    drive it like you stole it

I'd wait.
    BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
    ^ The Man
    v The Legend

Comment

doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Comment

ehh, I wouldnt! Save the $$ until you can afford the actually springs. :smoke:
        Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Thanks for the help, I think I will wait.
          drive it like you stole it

Comment

Does anyone actually have any personal experience using these spring clamps, or are you simply replying with your gut feeling that spring clamps are not a good idea?......just wondering.

It would help if someone with any experience with these clamps would reply with their true testimony, instead of mere opinion.

Comment

It's just common sense. Each of these springs is helping to hold something like 850+lbs. Putting pressure on them in a way they weren't designed for might end up causing them to break.

sigpic
              Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

I wouldn't call it a gut feeling as much as common sense/engineering judgment... basically, you are asking yourself this question:

1. should I force-use what I have, and keep it constantly stressed in an unnatural position

-or-

2. use something that is designed to do what I need it to

come on...
                Originally posted by TLS2000
                Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

i see this as no different than heating or cutting coils. it's just another half assed way to get the results you are looking for without paying to play.

from my experience it's better to do things correctly the first time.

Comment

you beat me, tom... jerk
                    Originally posted by TLS2000
                    Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                    GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

At least we agree that it's common sense.

sigpic
                      Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Then what about Coil-over setups? Aren't they, in theory, doing the same thing = pre-loading the spring.

Comment

I may be wrong, but coil over kits are designed for use with coil over springs. And you are applying pressure on the ends of the springs, rather than somewhere in the middle.
                          http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techa ... onversion/

sigpic

Comment

i don't see how getting coilovers is any different than buying new springs. it's a new setup, not a modification to the existing springs.

Comment

Imagine what would happen if one of those clamps broke or failed while doing 100km/h, or going around a bend too fast.

If you want an actual testimony, there has gotta be people on some civic boards that have done it. Just look for pics of multicolored cars and 6" exhaust tips and oversized aluminum wings
                              BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
                              ^ The Man
                              v The Legend

Comment

Working...
                              X