06 GTP Vehicle Performance Predicter Spreadsheets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 06 GTP Vehicle Performance Predicter Spreadsheets

I updated a spreadsheet that I had from my engine design class. It shows acceleration, traction ability, and gearing speed limits based on some common factors.

I have a couple of them done. 06 GTP with the stock LS2 all seasons, 06 GTP with a 245/40-18 tire (my new size), and the 07 GT with the sport option (3.9L and 6 speed), now a 06 GTP with an auto.

My work computer won't let me access my ftp, and I run open office on this one so unfortunately I can't post any graphs right now.

Long and short of it is that our gearing sucks, and that you should always shift at redline for maximum acceleration.

06 GTP w/ 6 speed

06 GTP - 6 speed - with 245/40-18s

06 GTP - auto trans

07 GT w/ sport package

Here are some of the acceleration ability charts.

06 GTP with a 6 speed.

06 GTP with an auto

Comparison between 06 GTP manual and auto

Shift points are based both on the torque curve, and your gearing. Since the torque curve is so wide on the 3.9L and the gearing is so far apart the lines never cross so shifting at redline will always be the fastest way.

As you can see the gearing with the manual is way better for acceleration than with the auto. This is all theoretical though, and can't account for missed or slow shifts.
    04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
    Self described crotchety old man!

Sorry, I need an education on the shift point here. I thought that the torque curve determined your shift point and not the gearing?

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
      Sorry, I need an education on the shift point here. I thought that the torque curve determined your shift point and not the gearing?
      Nope. If acceleration of the higher gear is more than the acceleration of the lower gear than that is a shift point. As you can see with the spacing of our gears the lower gear will always accelerate faster than the higher gear. I have other ones where the accel curves cross (which would be a shift point), but they are on cars with more geometric gearing than we have.
      04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:

Comment

Well, I understand that, but what I'm getting at is that if you have a great torque curve, like we do, your car will always be accelerating best at a lower gear. I dunno, I'm still confused.

edit: What I'm trying to say is: Please dumb it down for us common folk.

sigpic
        Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Originally posted by TLS2000
          edit: What I'm trying to say is: Please dumb it down for us common folk.
          Okay try this......with our gearing (6 speed mind you) you will always accelerate faster using the lowest possible gear.

...and with the provided math data I prove it. Acceleration is just a formula like most other things engine related. The sheets linked above just uncomplicate the complicated if you just look at the charts.

Comment

Ok, I agree with you that redline is the best shift point, but I still don't see how the gearing influences that more than what the engine puts out.

I'll go over the charts once more to try and figure it out some more. lol

sigpic

Comment

Ok ok, I've got it now. Gearing AND the torque curve BOTH determine the shift point.

Damn I feel stupid tonight.

edit: I had to REALLY think about how gearing works to figure that out. I must be too tired or something.

sigpic

Comment

Since the output has to go through the gearing, gearing is everything.

Check out this one for the STi:

http://freebmw.net/mbiker97/Smart/Vehperf%20STi.xls

If you notice the acceleration charts cross each other, which would be shift points.

BTW good work on figuring it out yourself. I had to edit the last section of the STi one since I redid the polynomial equation for the torque curve earlier today.

I'll check the STi sheet tomorrow with excel to make sure it is correct.

Comment

since it's best to shift at redline and from those charts, the manual can basically max out speed wise in 3rd, which is the same for the 4 speed auto, is the manual actually noticeably faster than the auto since you wouldn't even be using the higher gears?
                  -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
                  Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

3rd gear tops out at 100mph for me. so i would need 4th to hit the top speed limiter.

Comment

You can only go just over 100 with 3rd from my charts too. You have to go to 4th to hit the speed govenor (if your car has the one at 114).

I'll find some time this weekend to make one up for the 4 speed auto.

Comment

Working...
                      X