Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't GM decide which 3.5L?

Ok,

So my 3.5L is 201hp 225tq right...so now they are offering two different 3.5L of 217hp 217tq and 224hp 220 tq so what engine do I have, or what version, and what are the differences? This pisses me off because they are not charging more for a vehicle with 16-23hp more than what I paid for!

Unless you have an '07, then you have the 3.5 based off of the old 3400. If you have an '07, you have the new 3.5, which is based off of the 3900.

Why should they charge more for a more powerful mid-level engine?

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

i'm assuming you have a 2006...the 2007s have more hp
      -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
      Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

because Power = $$$

thats like saying, why charge more for the GTP than the base model

Comment

then you should have purchased a 2007 and not a 2006
          -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
          Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

It's not the same thing at all.

It's about competition, and there is no way they should be charging more for an engine that puts out more power if it's replacing the engine that it outpowers. Look at the Altima 3.5SE for a good example of this.

sigpic
            Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Then I should have bought a 07? How was anyone going to know they were going to up the HP until weeks ago. Certainly not public when I bought the car. At any rate, if its a stroked down version of the 3.9L then I can see that. Are both 3.5L offered based off the 3.9L? Or is one the old 3.5L (201-217hp) and one new 3.5L (224hp).

Comment

The old 3500 was based off of the 3400, which in turn was based off of the 3100 and even a 2800, I believe. It is old technology.

The new 3500 is based off of the 3900, which is only a year old now, and includes VVT.

sigpic

Comment

Here, this is pretty insightful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GM_engines#V6

Comment

It's not completely accurate though. <-- It doesn't show the LZ9 variant of the LZ8.

I think there's a write up in the tech-specs section about the engine options, which we've known about for a few months now.

sigpic

Comment

That is how cars work, newer model always has better stuff.

Accept it and move on?

John
                      Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

I went against my own rule, wait a year after a new car comes out...revisions!!! Oh well, so if my engine is based off the previous model, then its conceivable that I can adapt the same superchargers from the old GTP models? I am just talking about the SC itself, not mapping, ect...

Comment

Originally posted by G6athon
                          I went against my own rule, wait a year after a new car comes out...revisions!!! Oh well, so if my engine is based off the previous model, then its conceivable that I can adapt the same superchargers from the old GTP models? I am just talking about the SC itself, not mapping, ect...
                          Not necessarily
                          Originally posted by TLS2000
                          It's all fun and games, until someone gets skull fucked.

SSSS member #2

Comment

so i have more power...ya feel like tim allen
                            what makes a decision right or wrong is what happens after that decision is made -Marv Levy

'07 GT coupe, black with black rolling on black(crome) The Original

Comment

With the added power, have times improved? Or is it really marketing power?
                              BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
                              ^ The Man
                              v The Legend

Comment

Working...
                              X