Timming belt questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timming belt questions.

Ok guys I just bought the G6 GT sedan from my Mom.. lol she had it sitting there at her house, she wasn't using it so I bought it. Anyways I was doing some inspection on the car and I couldn't find anything in the ownwers manual about the timming belt. So i dont wanna sound stupid but the car already hit the 100,000 miles so I wanna know every how many miles does the timming belt should be change? and if you have any idea how much would it be to change?

Thanks

Re: Timming belt questions.

year and motor size?

Comment

2005. 3.5 V6 GT

Comment

If im not mistaken aren't these engines non-interference? And isn't it a chain? Just want some clarification for myself is all

Comment

just checked chain and gears...

Comment

I'm under the impression that GM uses timing chains in almost all of it's stuff. That will almost never break ... stretch a little .. yes ... break ... no
            sigpic

Comment

Shouldn't the serpentine belt be changed every 60,000 miles? Just another question for this kind of topic.
              Kicker KS 6930's 3-Way Rear
              Kicker DS 650's 2-Way Front
              Silver Star 4000k Low Beams
              CRAB Intake : Full System Upgrade and Resonator Removed
              Racingline : Engine Ground Kit
              30% Tint Sides and Rear & Windshield Strip
              Interior Door Trim at Handles and Driver Side Switch Housing : Black
              Pontiac Dart Overlays : Front, Back and Steering Wheel : Black
              Headlight Tint and Eyelids : Black, and Tinted Tails
              Partial DeBadge : GM Badges Removed
              Chrome Exhaust Tip

Comment

Originally posted by G6FortWayne
                Shouldn't the serpentine belt be changed every 60,000 miles? Just another question for this kind of topic.
                i dont know that it should be changed THAT often, ive got 89k on mine and it still looks almost new, mabey im wrong but i would think that would be a "replace as needed" part. now obviously if it looks like its in really bad shape then ya you should probably change it, but as long as it looks good id just leave it alone.

Comment

All GM 60 degree V6s use timing chains. So no 100K miles change out needed
                  2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                  Gotta have it Green color
                  Brembo brake package
                  420 HP 5.0L
                  Ford Racing Power Pack
                  GT500 track pack differential cover
                  BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

Originally posted by SexyG6
                    Originally posted by G6FortWayne
                    i dont know that it should be changed THAT often, ive got 89k on mine and it still looks almost new, mabey im wrong but i would think that would be a "replace as needed" part. now obviously if it looks like its in really bad shape then ya you should probably change it, but as long as it looks good id just leave it alone.

yup replace as needed. 4 cracks in an inch and it should be

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                    Originally posted by snowmanG6
                    you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by dre256
                      All GM 60 degree V6s use timing chains. So no 100K miles change out needed

This is one of the reasons why i love GM engines. Timing Chains or in the case of my 88 grand am timing gears! Replacement is rarely if ever needed!

Comment

Belt vs. Chain. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Comment

Originally posted by mrslcom
                          Belt vs. Chain. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages.
                          very very true however for long term no maintenance hassle free definitely chain or gear (even better then chain). They say the stretch of the chain is so minimal most will never even notice
                          TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

The accessory drive belt on my G6 looks like it came from the factory this morning. All lettering and such is still visible on it. I only have about 26-27K miles, so I'm sure that's why!

I was eyeballing a VW back in 2006, before I decided on the G6. I liked the VW 6 speed DSG transmission BUT, there were a lot of TSB's put out on software updates, fixes that didn't work, and other crap. However, what turned me off the most was the fact that their engines all use timing belts. From the 2.5 I5 to the newer 2.0L diesel - all use belts. Why? VW claims that it's quieter, but with the diesel, I didn't notice any difference when I test drove an older 1.9L TDI with the timing belt. If it had a timing chain, no multiple TSB's on the transmission, and better professional reviews on long term ownership, I'd probably be driving one.

Also with a timing belt, you have to make sure you get NO grease/oil on it when you install.
                            2006 Pontiac G6 GT (stock) - 44,000kms
                            2000 Dodge Durango R/T (modded) - 185,000kms
                            1999 Ford Taurus SE 2V (stock) - 206,000kms

Comment

Working...
                            X