Winter Tire/Wheel Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter Tire/Wheel Size

I’m looking into snow tires this week while waiting for my ’07 GT Coupe to arrive.

The stock wheels and tires are 18” wrapped in P225/50R18’s – so what size wheel and tire should I get for winter?

As far as I know no one makes an 18” steel wheel?

-Thanks

Well, if it helps any... The stock 16"s come with 215/60 R15's... And per the tire size conversion tool in the stickies, that's a 2.7% speed difference so you'll be going a touch slower than what the speedo reads. Of course that's less of a concern for winter driving.

I've considering the same myself, but the opposite direction. My G6 came with 16" wheels and I'm looking at getting some 18"s for summer driving.

Comment

So what size steel wheel? And what size winter tire to go on it?

Comment

Originally posted by dmehak
        So what size steel wheel? And what size winter tire to go on it?
        Why steel? 16" steelies work, as do a lot of 17"s. Tire size is your choice.

Go to:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Put your stock in and see what other tire choices are available with the same diamter.
        04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
        Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

For your information, the narrower the tire, the better it is in the snow.

Comment

I think I remember seeing something about the ABS systems on the GT and up (mean 17" wheels and up) taking up more space... Dunno if the stock 16's on the ecotech or V6 will work with the higher models. Just food for thought, and perhaps someone else knows and can let us know...

Anyways, I'd go for steel myself... Why risk nice soft alloy rims to a curb or whatever. No point in risking the money for a rim that's designed to be more functional than pretty. On the other hand, I got the V6 model, so I have 16" alloys and will likely be using them for winter use (if not year 'round)

Comment

A big part of my reasoning for getting snow tires (aside from better handling and safety) is less wear/tear on my 18” wheels and tires.

I’m not interested in the hassle of having two sets of tires changed twice a year on my 18” wheels – which is why I’m planning on getting steel wheels which I can change myself.

If anyone made 18” steel wheels all I would need to determine is the tire size, but by using a smaller diameter wheel, I would imagine I need to make up the difference with a higher sidewall on the tire.

So what size winter tire would you recommend for a 17” steel wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by mbiker97
                Go to:

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Put your stock in and see what other tire choices are available with the same diamter.

Comment

I'm looking into the same thing. I just bought an 06 G6 GTP that came with the summer wheel package. It comes standard with 225/50/18. I did the conversion thing & it said I could fit a 225/60/16.

I've been calling around to a bunch of local wheel/tire shops and they all first off have never changed tires on a G6 GTP but all have doubts that a 16" steelie will fit over the brakes/calipers on my GTP. One tire shop guy told me generally you can go down 1 size ie from 18 to 17 but not usually 2 sizes.

So basically i'm stuck, i've called everywhere looking for someone who has a 16" steelie with our bolt pattern and haven't found (I still have to hit up walmart cause apparently they might have stock?), i'd rather not have to put a 17" winter tire combo on the G6 because it'll up the cost of it's new shoes considerably!

Anyway that's all my research, I've asked my dealer but ever since I bought the car their customer service has been lacking & they haven't returned my phone calls.
                  2006 G6 GTP Coupe - Stealth Gray

Comment

Originally posted by TheCryptic
                    Well, if it helps any... The stock 16"s come with 215/60 R15's... My G6 came with 16" wheels and I'm looking at getting some 18"s for summer driving.
                    215/60 R16 Im also doing the same thing. I want to find the GTP wheels, non chrome, and powdercoat them pearl black.

As to the topic, you could probably find the stock 16" steelies with the tiger paws and run those through the winter. Unless the brakes are bigger in the GTP's but..... are they?
                    2007 G5 Base Model
                    Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

I was told that the brakes on the GTP are different and bigger, so that's why the 16's might not work.
                      2006 G6 GTP Coupe - Stealth Gray

Comment

The GT and GTP come with larger front brakes.

The GTP can use the 16" stock wheels for sure. I don't know about steelies though since there can be internal size differences.
                        04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
                        Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

I think to play it safe I'll just get 17" steel wheels, and some 17" snow tires to wrap them in.

Comment

I called The Tire Rack and their preferred winter tire package for my GTP coupe is the 215/65/16. When you use a tire calculator, it is the closet to the stock 225/50/18. They assured me that the 16" steel wheel will clear all the brake components.

I went this route because my dealer didn't know what size was best. The parts manager thought that the brakes on all G6's were the same size.
                            I told him to check his parts catalogue and get back to me.

I gave up after 2 weeks of waiting!

Good Luck
                            Black GTP, 6-speed
                            Ottawa, Ontario
                            Go Sens!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mrslcom
                              For your information, the narrower the tire, the better it is in the snow.
                              Times 2. Might as well get a 16 or 17 as well. More cushion and better if your slide into things!
                              Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Working...
                              X