Owners of Dual Muffler Exhausts-RATE YOUR PERFORMANCE GAINS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owners of Dual Muffler Exhausts-RATE YOUR PERFORMANCE GAINS

If you have a dual muffler exhaust system, rate it based on PERFORMANCE GAINS ONLY.

While service, quality and craftsmanship are key, this poll pertains only to how the system FEELS and how much it has changed your driving experience.
    NOT NOTICABLE - It just sounds cool
    0%
    NOTICABLE - but Not Significant
    0%
    SIGNIFICANT - I can feel more power
    0%
    GREAT - Faster than I expected
    0%
    FANTASTIC - Wow this thing is FAST now!
    0%
    SOLD * 2006 G6 GTP 6MT * SOLD
    Crimson Red W/Taupe 2-Tone Leather; DoctorSpeed Stage 4 CAB, Custom Dual Muffler Exhaust ;"JAKED" Lower Grille, GM Strut Bar, Aftermarket Spoiler, White Faced Gauges, Painted Interior Parts, Window Tints, Mostly debadged.
    CURRENT: 2007 Acura TL Type-S 286 HP 6MT
    Moroccan Red Pearl /Taupe Leather Sports Seats; Tints: 15% rears, 50% fronts;Axis Hiro 18X8.5 hyper silver wheels w/Yokohama Advan S.4. 245/40/18 UHPAS Tires; Color-Matched Splash Guards

You didn't have an option for thinks performance was affected in a negative way, but it does sound cool, so that was my vote.

Details of my system, and first impressions.

My Results on a DynoJet at a recent event.
    2006 GTP Coupe: Leather, Zinik wheels, GM Strut Bar, DoctorSpeed CAB, Custom Dual Magnaflow's / Resonator Exhaust

Comment

^ I know, it was omitted because I wanted people whose experience mirrors yours to actually have to write in a comment, not just vote.

I'd like to hear comments from those who claim a perfomance gain as well.

Judging by the results of the poll so far, the concensus (with one notable exception) is that the duals have not proven to be a performance mod, as much as they are cosmetic and aural. On the other hand, I have yet to see even one negative comment about the performance of the GT-R system or others of it's type.

You can draw your own conclusions from this poll, and I welcome comments from anyone who has an informed opinion on the topic as to WHY this appears to be the case? It doesn't make sense to me, and I would love to hear a solid explanation.
      Crimson Red W/Taupe 2-Tone Leather; DoctorSpeed Stage 4 CAB, Custom Dual Muffler Exhaust ;"JAKED" Lower Grille, GM Strut Bar, Aftermarket Spoiler, White Faced Gauges, Painted Interior Parts, Window Tints, Mostly debadged.
      Moroccan Red Pearl /Taupe Leather Sports Seats; Tints: 15% rears, 50% fronts;Axis Hiro 18X8.5 hyper silver wheels w/Yokohama Advan S.4. 245/40/18 UHPAS Tires; Color-Matched Splash Guards

Comment

Since I was the first to have the dual Magnaflow system, I will give my comments. My system has 2.5" SS piping from the flex pipe flange to the mufflers. I have experienced a noticable gain in performance. It is definitely a freer flowing system. From what I can see in the pics shown of the other systems, there seems to be smaller diameter pipe than what I have. One of them, just had the rear section done. If the work is not done 100%, the gains will not be too impressive. My system was machine-bent, but the bends are nearly as good as mandrel bends. My system is just as good as the GT-R system and it would show comparable performance gains.
        2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
        Forge Motorsports BPV
        CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
        HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
        HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

OK, I spoke to the guy who is doing my exhaust system about this issue and in layman's terms this is what he says you can expect when you do any alterations to the exhaust/intake that will increase your airflow:

If you do not alter the computer chip that controls your fuel intake, you will lose low-end torque and you might also notice a loss of bottom end trottle response. This is due to the factory limits programmed into the computer (his analogy was- the factory sets it to inject fuel between 10 and 2 o'clock, and to take advantage of the increased airflow you need to adjust the fuel flow to between 9 and 3 o'clock to match it to the increased airflow). In the days of carbuerators, it was a simple matter of adjusting a few screws, but with injector systems it must be done through the computer. He says he warns all his customers of this and strongly suggests making the change, since without it you will most likely be dissapointed.

As someone who has no real knowledge of newer car workings, it makes perfect sense to me.

Any input?

Comment

Originally posted by Tin_Indian_G6
            OK, I spoke to the guy who is doing my exhaust system about this issue and in layman's terms this is what he says you can expect when you do any alterations to the exhaust/intake that will increase your airflow:

If you do not alter the computer chip that controls your fuel intake, you will lose low-end torque and you might also notice a loss of bottom end trottle response. This is due to the factory limits programmed into the computer (his analogy was- the factory sets it to inject fuel between 10 and 2 o'clock, and to take advantage of the increased airflow you need to adjust the fuel flow to between 9 and 3 o'clock to match it to the increased airflow). In the days of carbuerators, it was a simple matter of adjusting a few screws, but with injector systems it must be done through the computer. He says he warns all his customers of this and strongly suggests making the change, since without it you will most likely be dissapointed.

As someone who has no real knowledge of newer car workings, it makes perfect sense to me.

Any input?
            That would explain the gains that I have experienced. I have the VMS ECM and Doc Speed Stage 2 Intake. I have very good bottom end torque and top end power.
            2008 Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT
            Forge Motorsports BPV
            CP-E Xcel Nano SRI
            HKS 3" Hi-Power CBE
            HyperTech Max Energy Tune

Comment

I would have guessed a Vector would get rid of the loss in down low perforance, I forgot you had one already KMan...

John
              Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Yeah oops I saw the dual and just clicked. Sorry. I'm a GT-R guy.
                Originally posted by Nikki
                You are an e-pimp.
                Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
                I tried too, my penis way too big
                07 GTP Coupe, Black, GT-R Exhaust #1, Dr speed Cold air box, GM STB, White Face Gauges, Intigrated Ipod, Altezza tails, Painted headlights with black reflectors and no amber turn signal cover and Nokya Ultrawhite bulbs all around, VMS ECM Tune Beotches, With the TCM tune soon to come.
                My youtube. http://youtube.com/user/joebro82
                The old hooptyhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2412743

Comment

^

Comment

hmm... I know its an old thread or whatever but i've got 2 pipes from the header/cats back; 2 24 inch long glasspacks (i went old school and used them as my mufflers) where the resonator was and nothing but piping form there back. All bents were made with a mandrel and i feel like ive gained some real power i dont exactly know how much but maybe 5-10. I love the sound (working on clips, took one today) and it feels noticably quicker. As for the ecm thing cant it "learn" there is more breathing room?
                    SSSS Czar

Comment

Originally posted by the TANK
                      hmm... I know its an old thread or whatever but i've got 2 pipes from the header/cats back; 2 24 inch long glasspacks (i went old school and used them as my mufflers) where the resonator was and nothing but piping form there back. All bents were made with a mandrel and i feel like ive gained some real power i dont exactly know how much but maybe 5-10. I love the sound (working on clips, took one today) and it feels noticably quicker. As for the ecm thing cant it "learn" there is more breathing room?
                      Wait... you have a true dual exhaust? No Y pipe?
                      BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

I need a picture of this.
                        2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                        334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

yeah my Y is cut part of it is used and the other header is collected to a flex pipe i think Ill take pics tomorrow its too dark to right now. But im not lying i know you are skeptics but youll see tomorrow!
                          SSSS Czar

Comment

Originally posted by the TANK
                            yeah my Y is cut part of it is used and the other header is collected to a flex pipe i think Ill take pics tomorrow its too dark to right now. But im not lying i know you are skeptics but youll see tomorrow!
                            headers? Where have you been? There is a whole thread full of people trying to find a shop to make headers for the 6er. You using your Y pipe still sounds kinda sketchy. You have two independant pipes going from the block down the body and finally out the back? Or do they merge into one pipe? If they DONT merge then why do you still have the Y pipe in your configuration?
                            BCG Member #1::G6er Elite

Comment

I dount doubt you did it, my question is why?
                              2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                              334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Working...
                              X