Nail in tire..too close to sidewall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nail in tire..too close to sidewall

I get home Friday to see I got a nail in my rear tire and its around a fingers width from the sidewall. I take it to my local Goodyear store knowing exactly what they are going to say.....too close to fix.

So with only 5k miles on these tires i'm already looking at replacing one.

Think I have any luck with the dealer hooking me up? Should I try a few other places to see if one will plug it?

Re: Nail in tire..too close to sidewall

Originally posted by Scamallite
    I get home Friday to see I got a nail in my rear tire and its around a fingers width from the sidewall. I take it to my local Goodyear store knowing exactly what they are going to say.....too close to fix.

So with only 5k miles on these tires i'm already looking at replacing one.

Think I have any luck with the dealer hooking me up? Should I try a few other places to see if one will plug it?
    I had a nail stuck in my front tire that was super close to the sidewall! They put some tire patch on it! 3,000 miles later its still going strong! At least you know you have a nail in my tire the dealer was rotating my tires for me when they noticed it for me thank god!

Comment

Re: Nail in tire..too close to sidewall

Originally posted by Stacy

I had a nail stuck in my front tire that was super close to the sidewall! They put some tire patch on it! 3,000 miles later its still going strong! At least you know you have a nail in my tire the dealer was rotating my tires for me when they noticed it for me thank god!
      That's a lot of exclamation points!

Comment

That sucks! I had the same thing happen with my Mustang. I had a nail in the tire they would not replace. I had to buy a brand new tire. Luckily, my step-dad has some good connections and I only paid $120 for a new tire.

Funny part was I took it to Pep Boys to get swapped out. They swapped it out for the good tire, not the bad one. I was pissed because I had to go back the next day and get them to fix it.
        "As long as you can laugh at yourself, you will never cease to be amused."
        -unknown

Comment

pull the nail out...maybe it doesn't go all the way through.

Comment

Don't plug it, just get a new tire. Being cheap can kill someone.
            BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
            ^ The Man
            v The Legend

Comment

The tire is only $113 shipped and I haven't heard back from the dealer yet. I can get it mounted/balanced for $20. I agree with the above poster, being cheap may not be worth it.

Comment

yea even if they could patch it....It would still be in the back of my mind everytime I go on the highway.
                -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Dude if its a fingers width away from the sidewall...into the tread... its patchable. Never plug a tire, it will come out. Patching a low profile tire kinda close to the side wall is not an issue as the sidewall is somewhat stiff and does not squat or make the patch roll off from the inside. Unfortunatly i work at a tire shop and have patched thousands of tires. Sounds like you should take it to another shop.

My guess is the salesmen saw the doubt in your eyes and said "im gunna sell this guy an expensive ass tire cause he is already expecting it to be bad."

however...safety is in the eyes of the beholder!
                  06' GTP Coupe 6MT

Comment

we don't patch them if they are withing 1" of the sidewall. dunno if it is safe to or not, but it is just company policy that we don't risk it when it is that far out on the tire.

Comment

If it's not in the sidewall you have a chance at saving the tire. I've had tires patched before, and they lasted the life of the tire.
                      With that said, your safety is first and foremost. Change the tire if it's peace of mind you want.
                      G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
                      Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
                      Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
                      20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

I wouldn't risk it, unless a place you trust said it could be done. Like said though I don't think it would be worth the risk, not for that much.

Comment

I've considered taking it to another shop I know of that may patch it for me. But like it was said above, that will always be in the back of my mind. I really didn't want to, but I drove it to work today because our other vehicle was full of stuff from my recent move.

I plan on pulling the nail tonight with hopes that its at a good enough angle that it didn't puncture it. If it leaks, i'll just order a new one and have my local shop mount/balance for me.

Comment

Pulled the nail last night....didn't puncture the tire. Nail was short enough and on a good enough angle it was only in the tread. :smoke:

Comment

Wierd. Not like we have a lot of tread. Well that's good for you
                              BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
                              ^ The Man
                              v The Legend

Comment

Working...
                              X