Weight Reduction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Reduction?

So I've been searching the past two hour or so trying to find any solid info on some shit to remove from the cars in terms of weight reduction. I'm hoping to be able to pull 200lbs or so off the car.

I will note, I know the difference in minimal, this is just boredom. I guess if the total weight reduced got to around 500lbs it would be effective enough to warrant effort. I seen no other definitive topics around soooooo, here it is:

Really, what I've come up with so far is:

spare tire+kit = 50lbs+ (guessing)
    resonator+factory filter box = -20lbs~ +dr.speed weight
    driving at 1/4 tank = 75lbs lighter vs driving with it full.
    rear seat weights = 50lbs+(seats+assembly)
    window replacement =
    exhuast resonator replacement =
    front seat replacement =
    spoiler =
    factory rims = 22lbs a piece (ty tom)
    engine cover = weighs nothing, but will apparently reduce engine temp by about 5degrees.
    fat girlfriend = 300lbs less

Anyone else interested in this? Is there anything we can pull off the bottom of the car without sacrificing safety (to the car, who cares about humans!)

Losing 500lbs brings my car 500lbs closer to the stock weight of a base 06 civic with a bit of performance work in her, which as I found out this evening, can pace a hardtop gtp. Theres about 1100lbs between the hardtop and 700 between the coupe and base civic.
    The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

If you really want to save on weight, pull the engine and tranny!

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

gasoline, at 72 degrees F weighs around 6.25 lbs per gallon.

i have a 16 gallon tank so 1/4 tank would be 4 gallons or 75lbs lighter than a full tank. i know you were doing your calculations in lbs but since you are from canada here ya go: 75lbs is approximately 34.0194277 kilograms, so that is what you save assuming you have a 16 gallon tank.

Comment

You need to lose more than 500 lbs if you want to compare to a Civic.
        The weight difference between a base Civic and a base G6 is around 700 lbs.

Comment

Save some weight and get a little performance, if you have a pit or your own lift to do it your self or have to go to a mechanic......... remove the exhaust resonator with a a pipe then you have to change the muffler to an aftermarket one other wise your car will sound like a lawn mower with the stock one. Then to ballance your weight better, dont know how hard it is in a G6 might be tough is get a battery relocate kit and put your battery in your trunk. If you want to get REAL adventrous, get a quote for replacing your windshield with a plexy glass one, that will be a drop in weight. If your going to remove the back seat, then replace your front seats with 7.5-10 LBS racing seats.
          2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
          Gotta have it Green color
          Brembo brake package
          420 HP 5.0L
          Ford Racing Power Pack
          GT500 track pack differential cover
          BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

You can rip out all the carpet side panelling and padding, I think thats all about 100lbs worth. The spare with the kit is more than 50lbs. The rear seats are over 50lbs total also. lose the spoiler, and get lighter rims But do you really wanna destroy your car?

Comment

Originally posted by bristol16
              gasoline, at 72 degrees F weighs around 6.25 lbs per gallon.

i have a 16 gallon tank so 1/4 tank would be 4 gallons or 75lbs lighter than a full tank. i know you were doing your calculations in lbs but since you are from canada here ya go: 75lbs is approximately 34.0194277 kilograms, so that is what you save assuming you have a 16 gallon tank.
              I wouldn't know kilograms if it hit me in the side of the head. But thank you.

mrslcom, read my post again.... I said losing 500lbs bring my car, 500lbs closer to the stock weight of a base civic, they're 1100lbs lighter then my hardtop.

And with respect to destroying the car, no i don't. I'm not even going to do this to the extreme (ya dood!! ;-)). but someone may and the information as to what effort + what effect should be on here and it isn't.

oh, btw, thanks Tom, i'll get right on that engine effort.
              The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

Originally posted by G6athon
                You can rip out all the carpet side panelling and padding, I think thats all about 100lbs worth. The spare with the kit is more than 50lbs. The rear seats are over 50lbs total also. lose the spoiler, and get lighter rims But do you really wanna destroy your car?
                I can assure you that the rear seats are nowhere near 50lbs. MAYBE 20lbs.

sigpic
                Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Number one way to reduce weight. Lighter driver, and it usually makes you healthier too!
                  Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

You have a vert, so maybe you could remove the roof and associated hardware. Probably save you 700 lbs, but sucks to be you if it rains

Comment

Originally posted by EmersonHart13
                      Number one way to reduce weight. Lighter driver, and it usually makes you healthier too!
                      120 lbs baby... I'm the lightest driver I know...

Because only a Computer Network Technician can get his internet speeds this fast:

Comment

Lightweight hood, don't know id MPD's is lighter than stock, but theres a good chunk of weight that can away
                        BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
                        ^ The Man
                        v The Legend

Comment

Dude dont take the spare out. Its not worth the cost of a tow if you have a blow out.

The stock intake doesn't weigh even close to 20 lbs
                          The back seats in my camaro wieghed MAYBE 10 lbs, but the G6 could be different.

What you could do is just go with a shorter exhaust. Mine is just hacked off behind (not in front of) the resonator. Also gives better top end hp than ANY cat back could without changing the piping.

Obviously no spoiler is lighter than any spoiler. And lastly, take the engine cover off anyways, engines are beautiful, and are not meant to be covered up!
                          2007 G5 Base Model
                          Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

pull out the radio and all the speakers, remove the A/C system, there is plenty of stuff you can rip out if you are really desperate to lose that much weight.

Comment

All the plastic panels extra seats... remove the sound deading materials... heck remove some of the quarter panels and bumpers... who needs em. Before you know it you'll be saying "what the was GM thinking sticking all this crap in our cars for..."
                              Because only a Computer Network Technician can get his internet speeds this fast:

Comment

Working...
                              X