How-To Remove Airbag Module on a 3-Spoke Steering Wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To Remove Airbag Module on a 3-Spoke Steering Wheel

I recently needed to look at the wiring inside the steering column and I needed to remove the front part of the steering wheel which is actually the Airbag module (The center of the steering wheel that has the Pontiac emblem and you push on to beep the horn).

Here's what I was told to do by the service department and it turned out to be quite easy. I'll have more photos of the actual module coming off whan I redo this next weekend.

Tools:
    - 3 - 4" long thin nail with the end ground flat or some other such item. We'll call it a pin
    - Small open end wrench (for the battery disconnect).
    Time:
    - 5 minutes

1) Disconect the negative of the battery for safety (Don't want to have the Airbag go off in your face as unlikely as that might be). You'll have to remove the battery cover to get at the battery.

2) Note: There is a small hole in the left and right side of the steering column that you will push the pin into releasing a spring that holds in that side of the airbag module. The tricky part is to exactly hit the pin head onto the spring. This is why you want to flatten the tip of the pin to make that easier to do.
    So, starting with the right side, turn the steering wheel to the left to gain access to the small hole. Push the pin into the hole while pulling lightly on the right side of the airbag module. You should be able to feel the spring move back and forth as you push the pin in and out slightly. When you push the pin in enough the right side of the airbag module should pull out toward you as you pull on it. Pushing the pin into the hole and pushing back the spring will not automatically release the airbag module you must pull on the airbag module while the spring is depressed.

3) Repeat for the left side this time turning the steering wheel to the left to get a better look at the pin hole.

4) Once the Airbag module is free I just moved it out of the way and did not disconnect any wires as I didn't want to break anything.

5) Replacement is simply center the airbag module over the steering wheel and gently push it back into place.

Pictures:

The Airbag Module (Front of the Steering Column with Pontiac emblem)

Pin I used (Small nail that I would flatten the end more on)

Right Side Pin Usage

Another Right Side Image

Another Right Side Image

Left Side
    Jay
    '06-G6-V6

GM Graphic and Intructions

The above information was derived from GM document ID# 1749170. This document is ~2 pages and I include the sketch from this document below along with the text from that document re-typed as I did want to bother scanning it.
    Also, note that there are several references to other documents that were hyper links in the original document which of course I could not replicate here.

Document Text:

Caution: Refer to SIR Inflator Module Handling and Storage Caution in Cautions and Notices.

Caution: Refer to SIR Caution in Caution and Notices.

Fastener Tightening Specification: Refer to Fastener Tightening Specifications.

Preliminary Procedures

1. Disable the supplemental inflatable restraint (SIR) system. Refer to SIR Disabling and Enabling.
    2. On Back side of steering wheel are 2 circular openings, place the wheel so that one opening is on top.
    3. Using a blunt-ended tool, push the spring fastener inward through the access hole. Repeat the step for the other opening.

Steering Wheel Inflatable Restraint Module

Tip

1. Release the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer.
    2. Disconnect the electrical connectors.
    3. Fully deploy ther module before disposal. If the module was replaced under warranty, fully deploy and dispose of the module after the required retention period. Refer to Inflator Module Handling and Scrapping.
    Jay
    '06-G6-V6

Comment

Finshed Product

Just thought I add one last picture showing the airbag removed and positioned on top of the steering column.

Jay
      '06-G6-V6

Comment

Re: Finshed Product

Originally posted by jayco59
        Just thought I add one last picture showing the airbag removed and positioned on top of the steering column.

does anyone know if this is the same process for a 2009 Malibu?

do you need to push the release mechanism in the same direction as the inserted pin to release the air bag, or do you need to push up, down, out toward driver seat, in toward instrument panel?

I have tried a few times with no luck so far

Comment

Re: How-To Remove Airbag Module on a 3-Spoke Steering Wheel

For my '06 G6 you push in. It is a bit tricky but you can tell when you have the release spring, you can feel it give as you push in. I believe I was gently pulling out on the airbag module while I was pushing in on the pin. The alignment of the pin is critical try to align it as I indicate in the photo. I must have gotten lucky it worked after only 2 or 3 tries for me.
          Good luck.
          Jay
          Jay
          '06-G6-V6

Comment

Re: Finshed Product

Originally posted by bucklwi1
            Originally posted by jayco59

does anyone know if this is the same process for a 2009 Malibu?

do you need to push the release mechanism in the same direction as the inserted pin to release the air bag, or do you need to push up, down, out toward driver seat, in toward instrument panel?

I have tried a few times with no luck so far
            yes it is the same. i heard that some of the 08 malibus (new style) were INSANLEY hard to get out for some reason but i think they got that problem fixed

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
            Originally posted by snowmanG6
            you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

What would you have to do to entirely remove the steering wheel?

Comment

once the bags off undo teh nut that holds it on then youll have to pull it off. (may need a puller). then undo the other wires and its off

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                Originally posted by snowmanG6
                you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

so thats it disconnect the battery and put a nail into both holes and pull it out? really?
                  Cold air intake, racingline engine mounts, painted engine cover, tinted tail lights, resonator delete, red and black calipers, Flowmaster 50 series, black upper recessed grills,cobalt ss/tc rims, massive audio nano 800w amp, pioneer A series 460W speakers, pioneer double din touch screen headunit and debadge[color=#FF0000][

My Progression:http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...;s+progression
                  JOIN FOREVERPONTIAC.COM...NOW!!!!!!

Comment

So that's all it takes to get the airbag off? I'm trying to make sure I have all of the steps down so I can paint my steering wheel controls but I don't want to start and get stuck.
                    Finished Mods: 15% window tint, Spyder headlights, Custom Interior Paint, CRABS CAI w/FPU, MPD Hood(Color Matched), Front Bumper Chrome painted Flat Black, Carbon Fiber badge overlays.

Future Mods: Lowering Springs, MMI's, Strut Bar, GT-R Exhaust, 93 Octane Tune, MPD Spoiler, Rims & Tires(TBD)

Comment

yep. It's very easy to get off. just swapped the steering wheel comtrols on my GF's 07. You need a T15 torx to get the control bexel from the steering wheel. My controls came off an 08 Malibu SS wheel. I will be selling the stock controls soon if any one needs spare cruise controls or bezels.
                      2007 Pontiac G6 3.5L V6 | 1998 BMW Z3 Dinan

Comment

could someone please tell me how to remove the wire from the air bag i have done all the other steps but i cant get the wires off

Comment

I'm doing this today... The pictures in this thread don't show up for some reason. Or are they gone?

Stop by my progression and say Hi!

Custom Blacked out Chrome
                          Color Matched Upper Grilles
                          Door Sills
                          Puddle Lights
                          Steering Wheel swap
                          Custom CIA/Heat Shield

Comment

We need a new "HOW TO" on airbag removal since the OP killed his pix....
                            any volunteers??
                            Please consider supporting G6P -Tap here

MODS:
                            Crab Intakes CAB, MPD Ram Air hood, Custom exhaust,
                            WAMS High Performance Tune and a whole lot more....

Comment

Originally posted by Lampoon View Post
                              We need a new "HOW TO" on airbag removal since the OP killed his pix....
                              any volunteers??
                              i can probly do it later today since we got rained out at work. have to go to the body shop to buy some paint and clear to paint the hood and spoiler for my red GXP first

Comment

Working...
                              X