Collectible cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collectible cars

Feb. 18 (Bloomberg) -- We all wish we’d bought Microsoft Corp. stock in the 1980s. But what if you’d tucked away a 1965 Shelby roadster like the one that just sold at auction in Scottsdale, Arizona for more than $1 million? Or garaged a pristine 1971 Dodge Challenger, which went for $187,000, or that rare 1970 Ford Mustang for $275,000?

More to the point, what should you buy now that will turn out to be the collectible car of tomorrow?

The collectible-car market, while off the nosebleed highs of 2006-2007, is still robust. Some cars rolling off the line today are destined to be the auction surprises of the future. I asked collectors, classic-car experts and auto industry executives which new or recent car they would buy today to re- sell in the year 2030.

“I have a black Pontiac Solstice GXP coupe under a tarp right now,” said General Motors Vice Chairman Bob Lutz. “It’s destined to be a collector car in 20 years.”

The 2009 hardtop sold new for $31,000 and can be found from private owners for around $23,000, according to Edmunds.com. Lutz says he believes it will eventually be worth two or three times as much as when new, inflation adjusted.

“You can’t plan for a collectible,” said Lutz. “Part of it is happenstance. The Solstice coupe was extinguished after 1,000 units when we shut down Pontiac. It’s very fast and availability is extremely limited -- that’s the magic combination.”

Camaro Convertible

He also names the future Camaro convertible, Corvette ZR1 and Pontiac G8. In typical Lutzian fashion, they’re all GM products.

Dave Kinney, an appraiser and publisher of “Hagerty’s Cars That Matter” price guides, agreed that the Solstice coupe is a good choice, but cautioned that scarcity is only one ingredient.

“Just because there are only a few doesn’t mean there will be a demand later on,” he said. “It depends on the kind of splash they made when they first came out.” If demand outstripped supply initially, chances are good it will be desirable in 20 years.

“You have to dispel the myth that rarity trumps everything. Otherwise I’d build a one-off car, slap my name on it and retire,” he said. “And nobody wants to buy a Dave Kinney, including Dave Kinney.”

His best guesses for future contenders at Barrett-Jackson Auction Co. are the Ford GT and BMW Z8 roadster. The 2005 and 2006 Ford GT was based on the 1960s Le Mans-winning GT40. Some 4,000 were built for a price of around $150,000. “The plug was pulled before fulfilling ultimate demand,” said Kinney.

European Demand

As for the BMW Z8, built between 2000 and 2003: “There’s an almost inexhaustible demand in Europe, who’ve been buying them back from Americans,” he said.

For lower-end cars, Kinney advised collectors to keep an eye on Japanese models such as older, pristine Mitsubishi Evolutions, Subaru STi’s, and even 1990s Mitsubishi 3000GTs and Honda CRXs. A current hot car, the Nissan GT-R, will depend upon how many are built, he said.

Corvettes are a perennial. “If you get a chunk of money, almost any Corvette is proven to give a good return to the original owner,” Kinney said.

Bill Warner, founder and co-chairman of the Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance, who has a rotating collection of his own, also picked the Ford GT and Corvette ZR1. He added that single race cars that won significant races such as Le Mans or the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona are worth considering.

In the Bank

“Those cars are so well documented that they’re like money in the bank,” he said. He also cited new, low-production Porsches such as the 997 GT2 and GT3 as good picks.

“Every time I bought a car to make a buck, I didn’t,” he said. “But when I bought a car I was passionate about, I did really well when I sold it.”

Peter Kalikow, president of H. J. Kalikow & Co., has a passion for one marque: Ferraris. He owns and drives about 30.

“They don’t get good until you’ve put 6,000 miles on them,” he said. “Ferraris are the gold standard. I have a soft spot for front-engine V-12s,” which traditionally sell for top dollar. A prime example, a 1959 250 GT Series 1 Cabriolet, recently went for $2.1 million.

Kalikow said he thinks the market for the Prancing Horse is overheated. Limited-production mid-engine models like the 16M Scuderia Spider (only 499 units built) will hold their value, he said. Super-special variants will be the most sought after, such as the 60th Anniversary 612 Sessanta. Sixty were built and Kalikow owns one of them.

Alfa Aspirations

If I had the money and storage space, I’d opt for the brand-new Shelby GT350 -- legend Carroll Shelby is now 87 -- plus a Nissan GT-R and the Corvette ZR1. And I can’t forget the most beautiful modern car I’ve laid eyes and gas-foot upon, the Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione.

Like most collectibles, cars are a gamble.

“Factor in all the costs of keeping a car and it’s a lucky person who gets a good return,” said Kinney. “You’d be silly to do it with anything but play money.”

Still, there are worse places to put your money, Kinney said. “Madoff investors would have been better off investing in nothing but Corvettes.”

2013 Subaru Wrx STi "Rally Armor Mud Flaps, LED Interior Lights, Tint, R205 Badges, WeatherTech Mats, Volk CE28N Rims, WC lathe werks Stainless Sphere Shift Knob"

2009 Solstice GXP #1123 "Solo Mach Exhaust, GMPP Stage 2, Soft Top, Trifecta Tune, 4.5k Hids"

2006 G6 GTP "GT-R, VMS Tune, Crabs, 4.5k HIDS, HSRK, 35% Tint, Spolier, GMPP Strut Bar, Other Random Mods"

Re: Collectible cars

keep your gxp!!!
    ............... My cardomain page ................. My facebook page ...............

Comment

Originally posted by coolmanvette75
      keep your gxp!!!
      I think woody is using his admin powers to post as you lol.

2013 Subaru Wrx STi "Rally Armor Mud Flaps, LED Interior Lights, Tint, R205 Badges, WeatherTech Mats, Volk CE28N Rims, WC lathe werks Stainless Sphere Shift Knob"

2009 Solstice GXP #1123 "Solo Mach Exhaust, GMPP Stage 2, Soft Top, Trifecta Tune, 4.5k Hids"

2006 G6 GTP "GT-R, VMS Tune, Crabs, 4.5k HIDS, HSRK, 35% Tint, Spolier, GMPP Strut Bar, Other Random Mods"

Comment

............... My cardomain page ................. My facebook page ...............

Comment

I'm keeping my GXP!!! and hopefully in a couple of years if there are any for sale i'm gonna try and get a g8 GXP

2009 G6 GXP 3.6L Mods: Window tint 20% back, 35% front, CRAB intake, intake resonator delete...Future Mods Debadge, Tinted Tails, hid headlights, custom catback exhaust

R.I.P 2006 Charger RT

HELLO 2009 PONTIAC G8 GT: fully loaded, black and red leather, 6.0 L76
          rear muff delete, superchips 91performance tune

Comment

So no one's saying regularly driven G6's are going to be worth a mint years from now ?
            CRABs, STBs, Uppers, Loud Noises Coming Out The Back End

Odd random pics on my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001119651822

sigpic

Comment

If I don't sell my GXP before soon it might be worth something someday but its not a G6 lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Coupe_GTP
                I'm not selling my GXP because it will be worth something someday, Maxium Lutz says so even
                Fixed
                2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
                Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
                Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
                2005 CGM GTO.
                386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
                2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

It's kind of obvious. Sell me your GXP and ill sell for three times that amount decades from now.

750WHP Magnacharged GTO.....WTF!
                  TVS2300 GTO, Innovators West 8" Overdrive Pulley, ECS Tensioner, SD tuned by Andrew at Complete street performance, Ed Curtis custom Lunati camshaft 230/236 .6XX/.6XX 113 LSA, Hardened Pushrods, Lunati .675 lift Valve Springs, Single Walbro 255 fuel pump in stock bucket, Kooks 1 7/8 Jet hot coated Headers , Kooks 3" catless mid pipes with DMH low pro electric cutouts, Spintech 2.5" stainless steel exhaust with X pipe, Carbon fiber Cold air box with AEM air filter, Billet products short shifter, JamesBiz Oil catch can, Pedders 5/16" raise springs with drag bags, Weld RTS Black with Hoosiers
                  Show
                  -20% tint
                  -bohaman AUX-in radio mod
                  -Professionally heated seats

Comment

a Ford GT....imagine that
                    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Working...
                    X