How-To Replace Front Sway Bar Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To Replace Front Sway Bar Bushings

Of the replacement/modifications I have done, this ranks as a 4 of 5 for difficulty. My hands aren't really big, and I had a tough time getting them in the tight locations where the bolts reside. The replacement took me about 2 hours with taking pics for all you who need them. The bushings used were 7/8in Energy Suspension Poly bushings. I bought them at Advance Auto Parts for about $20.

First you want to remove both front wheels and place on jack stands.

Then you need to identify the sway bar bushings. Mine looked like this.

Next you need to have a 13mm wrench and 13mm socket. Make sure your wrench has very slim shoulders b/c there is not a whole lot of room around the bolts.
    Note the tiny work space.

Now I started with the driver side, and it was the easier of the two to replace. I used a racheting wrench to remove both bolts and slid the old pieces off, and replaced it with the new Energy Suspension bushing, and the supplied bracket.

Please note I used the jack to lift the swing arm so the sway bar would rise enough for me to slide the bushing out. This will need to be done on both sides.

Now moving to the other side of the car. This bushing was not much fun to get to. I luckily had a very slim shouldered box end wrench that fit around the rear bolt. Please also not to remove with caution as there are fluid laden lines above the workspace.

Once you have removed the bolts, and lifted the swing arm as in the previous steps, you can remove the bushing. You will also notice that the passenger side is different then the driver side. It has shoulders around where the bushing sat to aid in installation at the factory.

Now seeing this problem, you need to reshape your passenger side bushing to fit in these shoulders. I took a utility knife and made a cut 1/8in by 1/8in in order to compensate.

After a few test fits, the bushing fit good enough to place on the new bracket.

Placing the brackets can be difficult but stick with it and they should eventually get into place. Snug up the bolts to just a little more then wrench tight. (I call this "Grunt Tight", as I usually grunt getting them tight enough.)

Now you are set to put the wheels back on and remove jack stands. I bought 'grease-able' fittings, and I will be going to a shop to have them greased, as my grease gun was too big.

EDIT: I went to the shop, and had to use a 90° grease fitting. The car feels tighter and most def has less roll in corners.

Let me know if you have any questions. I have more pics then I posted so if you need more help I may have a pic to help. Just make sure you have the time to do this, and don't get frustrated. Take your time and make sure you put everything back together tight.

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Re: How-To Replace Front Sway Bar Bushings

nice how to very informal
    Cold air intake, racingline engine mounts, painted engine cover, tinted tail lights, resonator delete, red and black calipers, Flowmaster 50 series, black upper recessed grills,cobalt ss/tc rims, massive audio nano 800w amp, pioneer A series 460W speakers, pioneer double din touch screen headunit and debadge[color=#FF0000][

My Progression:http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...;s+progression
    JOIN FOREVERPONTIAC.COM...NOW!!!!!!

Comment

Great how-to I might have to give this a try.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
      My Progression

Mods:
      Custom Lower Grill, Racingline STB, Silver Emblem Overlays,
      De-badge, Brembo Brakes, 18" MB Wheels Essen,
      Leather Steering Wheel, BMD End Links, Painted Recessed Upper Grills,
      Eagle Eye Headlights, 6K Low/Fogs, 35% Tint,
      Front/Rear Seat LEDs, Glove Box LEDs, Center Consol LEDs,
      CRABs, Racingline Grounding Kit, Relocated Battery Under Headlight,
      LED Taillights, LED Third Brake Light, Custom 2.5" Dual Exhaust

Comment

Do you have a pic of how you used the jack on the sway bar? I wonder if they make one that is precut for those shoulders? Are these the ones you used below? Was the hardest part just getting the bolts loose? I have a clunking noise when I go over potholes in the front end kind of sounds like when I had bad struts in the LHS but the struts are fine. Im going to look under there and see if I can see a large gap in my bushings. Great how to thanks!!!

2005 Pontiac G6 V6 Dashhawk, Debadge ,Crabs, LED License plate bulb, LED third brake light , Black Emblem Overlays,Tint 35 percent front, 5 percent rear, Energy Susp. Sway bar bushings, Intake resonator delete.
        Soon to come>>>> Racingline STB, Custom Flame job interior/engine, FPU, Cquence slotted rotors, Recessed Grilles, Concept darts, Red Gauge face,

Comment

Do you have a pic of how you used the jack on the sway bar?
          There is a knuckle on the control arm just behind the rotor.. I used that point. The lifting part of my jack is shaped like a cup, and I just cradled that knuckle with the jack, and lifted it maybe an inch.

I wonder if they make one that is precut for those shoulders?
          Not likely seeing that the Energy Suspension bushings are Universal parts

Are these the ones you used below?
          yes.. you have to grab the part number from online and take it to the store if you dont want to pay for shipping, its not in the stores computers directly, however they can find it with the part # from online

Was the hardest part just getting the bolts loose?
          for the most part this is true.. the bolts arent all that tight, so just getting a wrench on them and then getting your hands up there was the biggest thing..

The gap is the most evident after jacking the driver side up.. the passenger side has that shoulder and you wont see it... in addition if you jack both sides you wont see it b/c the sway bar is almost at neutral and has nearly no weight on it...

hope that helps.. if you have more questions.. ask away

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

Thanks man! Is that most likelyt where my clunking noise is coming from? Do you have to jack it up to see the gap? So if there is a gap it needs replaced? Luckily I have acess to a hoist so that might make it a little easier!

2005 Pontiac G6 V6 Dashhawk, Debadge ,Crabs, LED License plate bulb, LED third brake light , Black Emblem Overlays,Tint 35 percent front, 5 percent rear, Energy Susp. Sway bar bushings, Intake resonator delete.
            Soon to come>>>> Racingline STB, Custom Flame job interior/engine, FPU, Cquence slotted rotors, Recessed Grilles, Concept darts, Red Gauge face,

Comment

Getting the suspension in a bind is the fastest way so see how bad the bushings are.. so the jack is the fastest way.. I have pics up here somewhere showing my gap... I re-greased the intermediate shaft, and did this and no more clunk

However having a lift would really have been nice... it would have prevented the basement crawl under the car...

however if you get the greaseable bushings, you will need a 90 degree grease fitting or take it to a lube shop...

Comment

Alright thanks' dude!

Comment

did mine tonight. thanks for the how-to.

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Progression Page: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22818
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594110

Comment

Originally posted by black07g6gtp
                    did mine tonight. thanks for the how-to.
                    How did it go? How long did it take?

Comment

a few hours. The passenger side took the longest. the hardest parts are getting the bushing to go over raised parts on the bar and going back and fourth to trim the edges down

Show: GXP Hood - 2009.5 Front Bumper & Rear Spoiler - Black Housing Headlights - White LED Reverse and License Plate Lights- White LED Interior Dome & Map Lights - Matsushita Gen4 6000K HID Lows - White LED Fogs - GXP Rear Bumper - White LED KPH Instrument Cluster Conversion - 15% Tint

Go: CRAB + FPU Powder coated wrinkle black - Racingline STB , MMI & Grounding Kit - Dash Hawk - Front 4 Piston Brembo Brakes - Rear Cobalt SS TC Brakes - BMD Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines & Endlinks - WAMS 93 Tune - Custom Magnaflow Exhaust - Milzy Motorsports Headers

Progression Page: http://www.g6performance.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=22818
                      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2594110

Comment

VERY nice!

Comment

Dealer quoted me 100 bucks to do it. Told them I had a gap between the swaybar and the bushing and clunking noise when I go over a bump and they told me it was a broken link. I said as far as I know it just needs new bushings they said no broken link.

Comment

and im assuming your link is obviously intact? idiots.
                            '08 3.5 lz4
                            Custom fenderwell CAI
                            FIRST G6 TO USE COILOVERS
                            Megan Racing coilovers
                            Addco Rear Sway Bar
                            Racingline strut-bar installed
                            Racingline MMI's installed

Comment

Originally posted by vadicus
                              and im assuming your link is obviously intact? idiots.
                              Really!?

It would be wise to keep things like this to ones self.. Unless you've crawled around under MY car.. you have no idea what is there, and therefore have no room to speak. (PM me if you need a complete readout troubleshooting that lead to my solution.)

Negative comments like this, are not needed nor wanted in a thread made to help individuals replace their sway bar bushings. Unless you have questions about the process, or want to CONTRIBUTE to the thread, then keep your ignorant comments out of a How-To.

Comment

Working...
                              X