Ram Air or just CAI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ram Air or just CAI

Was removing intake resonator from thr 3500 last night and had an idea. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for or against using a ram air intake.

I was thinking of using the factory intake box with a replacement filter and adding a ram air intake to it via bulkheads.

Either that or just use the CAI intakes like everyone else. Anyone have any suggestions/comments?
    How do I set a laser printer to stun?

Ram Air's useless, stick with a CAI.
    2009 Panther Black G8 GT
    334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

now can we use the C.A.B. and the ram air at the same time?

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
      Originally posted by ahuhn
      so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Originally posted by snowmanG6
        now can we use the C.A.B. and the ram air at the same time?
        You might be able to do an air duct into the box, but I don't think there is anywhere to put the tubing.
        2009 Panther Black G8 GT
        334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

What I am going to do is, I like to get the "ram air" hood and conect that up with an active airbox to my air box that it comes with. My reason why is becuase my GF already the first week I had my car bought me a K&N panel filter. Wouldnt be right if I got rid of it and got a CAI because she spent like 60 on the filter. If it wasnt for that I would do a CAI.
          2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
          Gotta have it Green color
          Brembo brake package
          420 HP 5.0L
          Ford Racing Power Pack
          GT500 track pack differential cover
          BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I just installed the DrSpeed CAB and already have the MPD ram air hood. My GTP has the 3900 engine, of course, and there is plenty of room to install a duct from the CAB up to match the hood - a lot more room than with the stock air box. Not sure if the air duct from MPD will work, though, since it's designed for the OEM air box.

I work with several local sheet metal shops and am going to talk with them about a duct made to connect the DrSpeed CAB to the hood. Might even pick up the clips for the AC line.

On the other hand, I don't think this is going to do much to improve air flow, performance, or sound, so it may just not be worth doing. Still, I hate to have those scoops go unused ... :P

Yea, yea ... pics to follow when it stops raining.

EDIT: Pics here: http://g6performance.com/forum/viewt...r=asc&start=51
            (Rev) Greg :: 2006 Fusion Orange GTP Coupe auto - 35% tint - MPD hood - Razzi wing- Dr. Speed CAB - GTR exhaust - GM STB - caliper paint/decals - mesh lower grilles - more to come

Comment

I'm a firm believer that you can only achieve a true "ram-air" effect if you have a forward-facing air inlet. By definition, ram-air is air that is force-fed from vehicle velocity.
              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                I'm a firm believer that you can only achieve a true "ram-air" effect if you have a forward-facing air inlet. By definition, ram-air is air that is force-fed from vehicle velocity.
                This is very true.
                2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

I am talking about removing the passenger side fog light and using that opening as the ram air inlet. Then, fab up ducting to go from the fog light hole to the opening on the bottom of the factory airbox. Replace the factory filter with a high-flow panel filter and add in an air bypass just in case the inlet gets submerged. Thus, creating a ram-air-CAI (RACAI).
                  How do I set a laser printer to stun?

Comment

huh... that would be really neat... I'd like to see it

but it would be a lot of trouble for questionable performance gains...
                    Originally posted by TLS2000
                    Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
                    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
                    GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

Originally posted by mobilebyrd
                      I am talking about removing the passenger side fog light and using that opening as the ram air inlet. Then, fab up ducting to go from the fog light hole to the opening on the bottom of the factory airbox. Replace the factory filter with a high-flow panel filter and add in an air bypass just in case the inlet gets submerged. Thus, creating a ram-air-CAI (RACAI).
                      take a look at a pontiac trans am with the ram air hood...the air inlet to the throttle body is attached to the scoop that the air feeds in from the two nostrils in the hood...what you're trying to do is just route the air up into the airbox...it still has to travel around that long pipe and all the way to the engine. It's just not the same and you might not notice any extra gains than you would if you just had a CAI.
                      -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by mobilebyrd
                        Not only would it not do anything, you would lose a a fog light.
                        2009 Panther Black G8 GT
                        334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

It'd look like a Pirate car with only one foglight. Argggg matey!
                          I'M A TURNHUG6ER!

Comment

stick with the ram air because the air is not much cooler in the fender wall then it is by the engine to be honest the ram air is no different from the cai. the only true way to pull colder air is to put the intake pick up inside the front facsia but then you would pull water when ever it rains. your best bit is to stick with the ram air intake.

Comment

Going from the passenger foglight all the way to the throttle body would take like 9 feet of tubing...

Not to mention it will go back, then up, then right, then towards the front of the car, then to the right, then make a u-turn back into the throttle body....

THAT my friend is one magic intake.

2006 G6 GTP Coupe
                              :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
                              :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
                              :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

Working...
                              X