electrical n00b... help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electrical n00b... help!

ok so im installing interior neons and a music interface, and it says to connect the wires to a ground and a "fused 12v power source"... does this just mean the battery? i understand the ground part but where is the easiest way to wire through the firewall to the battery, or if there is another 12 v power source where is it??

thanks again and sorry i dont really know much about electronic stuff at all
    Mods: CRAB option 3, Black Grill Trim, Intake Resonator Delete, Ram Air Through Grill, Red Calipers, Tinted Tails, Partial Debadge, GM Strut Bar, 20% all-around tint, Lamin-X Headlight tint, Black corners, (FIRST EVER) black GT Rims, 2 Rockford Fosgate 12" P1's, Kenwood 1000w-2ch amp, DDM HID 6K Low Beams & Fogs

Check Out My Progression!!

Re: electrical n00b... help!

the battery isn't a fused 12volt source unless you add in a fuse while you are wiring it up. easiest place to go (especially if you are putting lights under the dash) would be the fuse panel on the passenger side footwell. just get an add-a-fuse wire tap and plug it in to the fuse box.

Comment

fused 12v power means a source of 12 folts that has a fuse to protect it so a staight wire to the battery isnt fused but if you install a fuse in it then it is

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
      Originally posted by snowmanG6
      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

thanks a ton guys, where would i get an add-a-fuse wire tap? like radio shack or something?
        Mods: CRAB option 3, Black Grill Trim, Intake Resonator Delete, Ram Air Through Grill, Red Calipers, Tinted Tails, Partial Debadge, GM Strut Bar, 20% all-around tint, Lamin-X Headlight tint, Black corners, (FIRST EVER) black GT Rims, 2 Rockford Fosgate 12" P1's, Kenwood 1000w-2ch amp, DDM HID 6K Low Beams & Fogs

Comment

i got mine at autozone
          2005 Pontiac G6
          AVH-P3100DVD

Comment

dasHoppinator,
            I believe the kit should have come with a fuse, on the red(Positive) wire......If you got your kit from LEDglow.com, like I did, your red wire already has a fuse in it......

I've got an LED Kit to install in my car, too, however, I'm only going to have it run off the same wire that provides power to the domelight...........ie..theater lighting, door opening, security light when unlocking the car........etc.........running led's to the music while driving might be a little frowned upon by your local LE(Law Enforcement).
            "I put the Giggity into Each and Every Thread"

2009 Performance Red Metallic G6, Progression Page

Comment

Originally posted by BAMBAMM
              dasHoppinator,
              I believe the kit should have come with a fuse, on the red(Positive) wire......If you got your kit from LEDglow.com, like I did, your red wire already has a fuse in it......

I've got an LED Kit to install in my car, too, however, I'm only going to have it run off the same wire that provides power to the domelight...........ie..theater lighting, door opening, security light when unlocking the car........etc.........running led's to the music while driving might be a little frowned upon by your local LE(Law Enforcement).
              f*** the police aha im a teenager

i got my fuse and everything at autozone, and i wanted the guy to witness it and make sure it worked before i bought it, wasnt the first time i would have gotten scammed by them so i hooked up the add-a-fuse to the radio and everything worked fine, in my own stupidity i didnt make sure the music interface worked on the spot, so i took it home and tested it out... nothing. now i have to drive alllll the way out there for (what i think is) a bad interface.... unless anyone knows what else it could be?

Comment

I posted this in another thread, 10 bucks at a local auto parts store and you can put whatever fuse you need to in the second slot for the 12V switched power-easy peasy

TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

alright so i grounded one lead, put the other in that wire tap doohickey, and ive tried tapping into like all the fuses, it says not to go more than 6 amps... what fuse should i put it in? ive tried the radio, eps, a bunch of other ones and i still can't get power to the box

Comment

you need a test light to see which fuse has power on with the ignition and turns off with the ignition. You could go buy the fuse legend but really the best and most accurate way is with a test light. You can pick one up pretty much anywhere for a few bucks.
                    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963
                      you need a test light to see which fuse has power on with the ignition and turns off with the ignition. You could go buy the fuse legend but really the best and most accurate way is with a test light. You can pick one up pretty much anywhere for a few bucks.
                      You can also use judgment.

HVAC CONTROL doesn't work with the key off. You can use the climate control system without the car on.

INTERIOR LIGHTS do. They work whether or not the car is running.
                      2009 PONTIAC G8
                      MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Originally posted by ragingfish

HVAC CONTROL doesn't work with the key off. You can use the climate control system without the car on.

ok true but some fuses depending on what they control will be ON with the ignition but once the car is actually started will turn OFF negating the entire purpose of trying to find a 12V ignition source.

As I mentioned you can buy a cheap test light for a few bucks, don't need anything fancy. Just an old school test light that will light up with 12V power. Connect the alligator clamp to a ground (anything metal) and start probing around with the test light with the ignition on. Once you find what you need turn the ignition off to make sure the light turns off also. Then as a triple check turn the car all the way on and start it to make sure the light stays on. Done and Done.

Comment

Originally posted by ragingfish

ok true but some fuses depending on what they control will be ON with the ignition but once the car is actually started will turn OFF negating the entire purpose of trying to find a 12V ignition source.

As I mentioned you can buy a cheap test light for a few bucks, don't need anything fancy. Just an old school test light that will light up with 12V power. Connect the alligator clamp to a ground (anything metal) and start probing around with the test light with the ignition on. Once you find what you need turn the ignition off to make sure the light turns off also. Then as a triple check turn the car all the way on and start it to make sure the light stays on. Done and Done.

alright so i just did that, found a fuse that was live, and plugged in the add-a-fuse, still nothing... what am i doing wrong? i know it's not a bad interface cause i assumed that was the case for the first one and returned it as defective...

Comment

you do have 2 fuses in the add a link correct? The fuse from the car in the first slot and the fuse for whatever you're running in the second slot?

Comment

you do have 2 fuses in the add a link correct? The fuse from the car in the first slot and the fuse for whatever you're running in the second slot?
                              hmmmm that sounds like it would be the problem... it didnt come with a fuse, does that mean i should go buy one?

Comment

Working...
                              X