Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: Brake In New Rotors

Treating new rotors

1.) The proper procedure for 'seasoning' NEW rotors is to take the car up to about 25 MPH then slow down gently to about 5 MPH. Do this 4 or 5 times then park the car for a two or three hours until the rotors are back to ambient temperature completely.
    The reason for doing this is that it helps to align the molecules in the steel making the rotors stronger and less prone to warping.

2.) Note, if you're doing front and rear rotors, install and season the fronts first, then install and season the rears. Go up another 10 MPH for the rears as they don't get the braking force that the fronts get. Other than that, the procedure is the same.

3.) Be advised that you don't have to do this when you replace the pads or even when you turn the discs, only when you put new rotors on the car. Also, if you put on new rotors, you should use new pads as well.

4.) Most Important: Be sure to torque your lug nuts evenly. Use a quality torque wrench. NEVER use an impact wrench to tighten your wheels. If you have a shop do it, INSIST (you may have to watch them) that they use only hand pressure to snug then a torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts.
    For aluminum wheels, you need to tighten them to about 85-90 ft/lbs of torque.
    If you don't evenly torque your wheels, you're begging for warpage!

My Progression---------------------Crimson Crusade---------------------Why Do I Run?
    Originally posted by wzbhnn
    We all like different looks, that's why we mod!!

Re: How To: Brake In New Rotors

Good info thanks. I wonder if the factory does this to cars off the assembly line though. GM just tells you to keep from hard braking the first 500 miles. Seems that the factory brake rotors only last to about 30K miles on these cars.

Comment

Hmmm... I was told to do;

25 to 5
      25 to 5
      35 to 5
      35 to 5
      45 to 5
      45 to 5

It worked for me when I changed my rotors. Maybe people have different solutions...

Comment

I am sure it doesn't really matter, just as long as you do something like it!! Just don't take them down the interstate right away!!

My Progression---------------------Crimson Crusade---------------------Why Do I Run?
        Originally posted by wzbhnn
        We all like different looks, that's why we mod!!

Comment

Originally posted by Matts06GT
          I am sure it doesn't really matter, just as long as you do something like it!! Just don't take them down the interstate right away!!
          True!

Comment

Working...
          X