black chrome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• black chrome

i was thinking about doing black powdercoat on the stock gtp 18's, but has anyone ever seen black chrome?? i saw some on a lexus is300 the other day and its quite possibly the coolest looking finish i've ever seen. would it be bad to send these rims through this process? i had heard that maybe the heat from the powdercoat or chroming could structurally compromise the wheel. is there any truth to this?

also, does anyone know if the weight gained in the chroming process would be enough to worry about handling loss?
    '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

here i saw this:
    What is Black Chrome ?
    The Black Chrome finish is the newest finish available on OEM and Custom Wheels. Being both shiny and reflective the Black Chrome finish is very similar to chrome. The only difference is that with the Black Chrome finish the color of the chrome is in fact a Pearl Black. Black Chrome application is a patented process. Essentially, pure chromium is applied to a surface by physical vapor deposition, in a vacuum metallization chamber and then protected with a liquid clear coat. The result is a very shiny, reflective, durable finish that not only looks great but actually performs to OEM paint specifications, which no other chrome produced to this day can say. Black chrome is resilient against brake dust, road salt, and road grime and requires very little up keep. Soap and water are the only necessary components to keep this finish looking absolutely great.
    '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

anybody?
      '06 GTP w/ 3 pedals

Comment

i have black chrome on my black '07 gt that i picked up last week, ordered it will normal chrome but came in with black...and it looks good...it shines nice and everything but hides the dust and dirt better id say go for it
        what makes a decision right or wrong is what happens after that decision is made -Marv Levy

'07 GT coupe, black with black rolling on black(crome) The Original

Comment

I think it would look awesome. There are powder coating web sites you can visit to see how it looks.
          G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
          Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
          Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
          20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

Working...
          X