Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about adding powered subwoofers in a convertible...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about adding powered subwoofers in a convertible...

I have an 07 g6 gt convertible. Was thinking of adding 2 of these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-iGy4UjwwZz ... =113KSCSW1

One under each seat. I currently have the Monsoon system but want a little more kick. I checked for clearence, will fit with no problems. What do you guys think? I know its not powerful but its the best I can do.
    2007 G6 GT white convertible, monsoon, painted calipers, McCulloch 5300k lows, 5% rear, 35% front, Alpine MRP-M350 amp, 2 12" Memphis subwoofers, w/ amp turn off switch, custom LED's, Dynamat, digital capacitor, Katzkin leather.

i also want to do this becuase im always using my trunk, so i was thinking of putting 2 one on each side in the net area, or maybe on the ceiling of my trunk in the back
    35% front/5% all-around tint, chrome grill,
    MTEC headlight bulbs, cold air box, redline tuning, LED reverse bulbs, passport x50 blue, custom catback system, painted headlights, shaved badges

Comment

SUBWOFFER

I really didn't like the one I had in my last car... you bearly heard it and if you have the monsoon system this is probably not as good as what you already have. I like my music loud and bass as well and the one I had did nothing but sound like a rattle can.

Comment

Convertibles suck for subs.... Space and vibrations is all I need to say.

Also, I don't think you're going to have nearly the same affect as having two "real" woofers in there.

BUT: PROVE ME WRONG. please. If this works and you get enough bass out of it, I'll be ordering one or two. So let me know.

hehe.
        The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

I know that Mike had the Infinity Bass Link and frowned on it... said it wasnt worth the money.. for what your going to spend on that $249 you can get a good sub, amp and converter for about $50 if that and have DOUBLE the bass!!

Edit: Take this package http://www.crutchfield.com/S-77jgmZJETZ ... =700PCBS12 $100.00 cheaper and although its not "TOP OF THE LINE" chances are its still going to hit harder then that powered sub. The GTO's have a Blaupunkt stock system in it and I was very pleased when driving my uncles!
          Originally posted by Toyz
          Originally posted by simplyred
          what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
          As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

I agree, that I really never came across a powered sub setup that I thought was all that great.
            Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

the problem with the verts is, where do you put this (a regular sized subbox) without sacrificing the hard top or your spare tire?!?!?

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

even in the very... that box is what not even 1x1x1 so you screw the amp to the back of it and you should be good to go on the side of the trunk... I've never looked in the vert trunk with the top down...
                Originally posted by Toyz
                Originally posted by simplyred
                what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

As long as you aren't expecting much I say go for it, simple as that. True you don't have much options for the vert, which you will suffer for at times like this. But these things are nothing compared to a normal setup. Just fyi and a heads up.

Comment

yea the basslink sucked. I don't trust any of those amplified subs...basslink, bazooka...none of them
                    -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

was down to futureshop (canada... usa see: best buy), anyway, they got this subwoofer down there in 10" and 12" in a bassworx box, and it is niccccce..

I had 'em bring out the 10" and lay it in the truck, fit PERFECT with the tarp over for the hardtop.... its about $400(cdn) for the sub+box and I'm thinking I'm gonna go with that option and buy the metra dic and use my old headunit+amp.

I'm stoked.... it is a perfect solution. Bass out of it is nice too (previewed in the room).

Get our Low Price Guarantee, online or in store, on a huge selection of electronics, appliances, furniture, fitness, travel, baby products and more!

That is the 10" sub itself. They don't have the box online... but its about $100. I don't think the 12" sub will fit. After putting the 10" with box in the car, pushed towards the front, there was about an inch of clearance between the tarp and the top of the sub.

Definitely doable.

Comment

Will much rattling be heard even if its under the seat?
                        I will be using the stock stereo.. I don't want to lose my steering wheel controls.. Well its the most bass we can fit under the seats is the Kenwood one... Pretty much verts are out of luck when it comes to bass... I can get it way way cheaper than $249... I just use Crutchfield to check out the latest stuff..
                        2007 G6 GT white convertible, monsoon, painted calipers, McCulloch 5300k lows, 5% rear, 35% front, Alpine MRP-M350 amp, 2 12" Memphis subwoofers, w/ amp turn off switch, custom LED's, Dynamat, digital capacitor, Katzkin leather.

Comment

amp

In my opinion I would stay away from it like I said before I had one and thought it was horrible and sent it back but again I am a stereo buff and mainly use Maatt and klipsch speakers in car and home... Its really up to you if you play low volumes and are not looking for a good bass but something in the background with a stock radio it may be fine for you but for me I like loud rock and hard rock and want to hear all the music not rattle and fuzz which is what I though it did.... The monsoon in my G6 is actually pretty good but I have never been in a car with a powered sub that I thought sounded good but then again thats me. My firebird has double 12" subs which of course lost the storage area, 10 maats speakers and two maatts amps and it can blow the windows out.... Am pretty much planning a similar set up for the G6.

Comment

I wrote a long responce to your pose yesterday but it wouldn't submit. If you have to use a powered sub then I would use the alpine ones. I have actually heard good things about these. I too am kinda into the sterreo things. See my sig if ya wanna see what I am working with. I do all my own work. So just a powered sub isn't enough for me but Alpine makes some good ones and they will def put som bump in your trunk.
                            Originally posted by Nikki
                            You are an e-pimp.
                            Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
                            I tried too, my penis way too big
                            07 GTP Coupe, Black, GT-R Exhaust #1, Dr speed Cold air box, GM STB, White Face Gauges, Intigrated Ipod, Altezza tails, Painted headlights with black reflectors and no amber turn signal cover and Nokya Ultrawhite bulbs all around, VMS ECM Tune Beotches, With the TCM tune soon to come.
                            My youtube. http://youtube.com/user/joebro82
                            The old hooptyhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2412743

Comment

Originally posted by colinpeddle
                              Convertibles suck for subs.... Space and vibrations is all I need to say.

Also, I don't think you're going to have nearly the same affect as having two "real" woofers in there.

BUT: PROVE ME WRONG. please. If this works and you get enough bass out of it, I'll be ordering one or two. So let me know.

hehe.
                              Found a box that will fit in the trunk. I will look for the link and show it to you if you are interested. However I need to find a way to keep the box from moving while still being able to remove it without any tools. Anyways the box can hold 2 12" subs. Can hold 10w3 10" JL subs too. I will be starting the project in a week or 2 after I shop around. Currently thinking about getting 2 Alpine type S subs and mounting the amp under the passenger seat. Any suggestions on 2 12" subwoofers and a matching amp?

Comment

Working...
                              X