Tips for brakes on '06 GTP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for brakes on '06 GTP

Just got my G6 last week and I'm getting ready to do a complete brake job, but I've never done it before so I'm wondering how hard it really is. I've done work on vehicles, but never brakes. Searching on here it sounds like its not too bad. I've got a Haynes manual that shows the process pretty well, but anyone have any thoughts on things to watch out for? Parts I should have on hand?

Planning on doing:
    New rotors (cquence?)
    New pads
    Fluid Change

The part I'm not thrilled about is the fluid change. I'm thinking about just doing the rotors and pads and then bringing it in somewhere to change the fluid.

Re: Tips for brakes on '06 GTP

Originally posted by jp375
    I'm thinking about just doing the rotors and pads and then bringing it in somewhere to change the fluid.
    That's what I did. Brakes are much more simple than people think. Two bolt for the caliper, compress it, insert new pads, two bolts.

That's it.

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

Front brakes are super easy just pop the caliper off and pull rotators.

Rears are a little more difficult, as you have to turn the piston on the calipers back in rather than squeezing them, you can pick up a tool for this, but I just used some pliers.
      Traded: 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP M6 Coupe... 45% front tint, 35% rear tint - EBC Slotted Rotors with Red Stop pads on all four corners

Arrived: 2009 Saturn Aura XR, Carbon Flash Metallic, 6-Speed Automatic. 35% Tint All-Around OH -SO-SMOOTH!

Comment

its easy, but time consuming. if your doing a fluid change yourself, just open the bleeder valve on each caliper and press the brakes, at the same time you are adding in the new fluid. when the fluid changes color and new fluid is blead out, your done. its time consuming, but very important to bleed them properly.
        2006 Pontiac G6 V6-Too many mods-Traded In(RIP 2006-2010)
        2008 G8 GT-TSP Forged LS3-Procharger-219/231 RCR Cam-TSP Ported L92's-Squash-Kooks-Solo 3in-SS Wheels and Brakes-Demon8-BMR-BC Racing Coilovers-Custom Earls Tranny Cooler
        613/543 @11.5psi Old Numbers
        11.6 at 123. 1.92 60ft
        New numbers coming soon........

Comment

The Haynes manual has me all paranoid about the brake fluid. They make it sound like A, it strips off paint really easily, B if you get any air in the system you are F'd and need a scan tool to run a certain bleed procedure.

Comment

A yes B yes C yes but you shouldnt need to do that unless youve replaced the ABS module

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
            Originally posted by snowmanG6
            you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Has anyone had experience with the OEM style cquence rotors? As in, no slots, no cross drilling? Their prices seem too low, too low to be safe. However, I can't seem to find a bad word about them anywhere.

Comment

im sure they are fine but you will run in to the same problem again. heating and warping
                2006 Pontiac G6 V6-Too many mods-Traded In(RIP 2006-2010)
                2008 G8 GT-TSP Forged LS3-Procharger-219/231 RCR Cam-TSP Ported L92's-Squash-Kooks-Solo 3in-SS Wheels and Brakes-Demon8-BMR-BC Racing Coilovers-Custom Earls Tranny Cooler
                613/543 @11.5psi Old Numbers
                11.6 at 123. 1.92 60ft
                New numbers coming soon........

Comment

Has anyone had experience with the OEM style cquence rotors? As in, no slots, no cross drilling? Their prices seem too low, too low to be safe. However, I can't seem to find a bad word about them anywhere.

their drilled/slotted were cheap too, 210 for all 4 i think. but i have had no issues on them. i think i was the first to give them a try on here too

Comment

I've read mixed things on the drilled and slotted. As in, they can create more problems than they solve. Cracking, noise, etc. I'm fairly convinced it's just for looks unless you really get into high end components, and a er...high end car. I'm ordering from cquence tonight, we'll see which one's my credit card gravitates towards. The price is still scary cheap, but since I can't find a bad word about them I'm going to give them a try.

Comment

I've read mixed things on the drilled and slotted. As in, they can create more problems than they solve. Cracking, noise, etc. I'm fairly convinced it's just for looks unless you really get into high end components, and a er...high end car.
                      I agree with that. The drilled n slotted are not necessary for our vehicles, its a personal choice. But...they do look BA. Me personally, no. If the cheapies warp or eff up, get some more.
                      Mods: Tint, Resonator Delete, K&N Filter, GT-R Exhaust, GXP rear bumper, Debadged

Comment

Just bought the OE style rotors from Cquence. I'll let everyone know how they work out. Could have probably got equal quality at NAPA for a little less, but wanted to try something different.

Comment

Just bought the OE style rotors from Cquence. I'll let everyone know how they work out. Could have probably got equal quality at NAPA for a little less, but wanted to try something different.
                          Mods: Tint, Resonator Delete, K&N Filter, GT-R Exhaust, GXP rear bumper, Debadged

Comment

Working...
                          X