XM Satellite Radio Antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XM Satellite Radio Antenna

Just wondering, does anyone have any pictures of their OEM satellite radio antenna? Are they always installed in the same location?

Thanks.

depends on what model u have?

Boss Lady for the Blue Man Group

I'm back and ready for action!

Comment

Sorry - GT Coupe.

Comment

I keep seeing different antennas on GM cars; and just want to make sure I don’t end up with some huge pod sitting up there.

I’ve seen pictures of G6 coupes with the little black piece between the top of the windshield and the sunroof which I’m assuming is the XM – just want to make sure.

What does the OnStar antenna look like?

Comment

Originally posted by dmehak
          I keep seeing different antennas on GM cars; and just want to make sure I don’t end up with some huge pod sitting up there.

I’ve seen pictures of G6 coupes with the little black piece between the top of the windshield and the sunroof which I’m assuming is the XM – just want to make sure.

What does the OnStar antenna look like?
          onstar is a tail fin looking antenna above the rear window.

here check out this thread....my GTP has the XM antenna above the windshield and Kyles GT has the On* above the rear window. they are both sedans so i don't know if that matters at all or not....

http://www.g6performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3602

Comment

^^ Nice i was just about to search for that thread
            I do not have Onstar though, just xm
            Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

Originally posted by Toyz
              ^^ Nice i was just about to search for that thread
              I do not have Onstar though, just xm
              oh my bad. why are the antennas different then? just 2005 vs. 2006?

Comment

Ya im guessing it is the years, I dont know what else it could be.
                Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

2005 G6 used a 2 coax cable design from XM antenna to receiver. OnStar used a separate part for the GPS/Cell Phone antenna

For the 2006 model year XM design for G6 was changed and everything was done over a single cable and the XM antenna design was significantly smaller.

For 2006 the XM and OnStar antennas were combined into what is called a Quad Antenna.

So as far as I know for 2006 (and 2007) model there are 3 different antennas: XM only; OnStar only; and XM/OnStar.

AM/FM antenna is in rear glass and the remote keyless/remote start uses an internal antenna inside module

Although it seems weird to change one year after introduction these types of parts are used pretty much across multiple vehicles and the rollout for availability of the new design will hit each carline at different times.

Comment

Originally posted by e2helper
                    2005 G6 used a 2 coax cable design from XM antenna to receiver. OnStar used a separate part for its GPS and Cell Phone antenna

For the 2006 model year XM design for G6 was changed and everything was done over a single cable and the XM antenna design was significantly smaller.

For 2006 the XM and OnStar antennas were combined into what is called a Quad Antenna.

So as far as I know for 2006 (and 2007) model there are 3 different antennas: XM only; OnStar only; and XM/OnStar.
                    Excellent, all I need to do now is try and hunt down some pictures...

Comment

2005 G6 used a 2 coax cable design from XM antenna to receiver. OnStar used a separate part for the GPS/Cell Phone antenna

AM/FM antenna is in rear glass and the remote keyless/remote start uses an internal antenna inside module

Although it seems weird to change one year after introduction these types of parts are used pretty much across multiple vehicles and the rollout for availability of the new design will hit each carline at different times.
                      So is GM going to make the Quad antenna available as a retro for 2005 G6's?
                      I have a 2005 G6 GT as well and when I called the dealer today to check on XM, he said I should be able to just call Xm and give them the VIN. Then if my radio is ready, they will activate it. He said the antenna is all one unit. But it sounds like he is referring to 06 and later models. Is there a way I can tell if my radio is XM capable? I really don't want to have another radio head...I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.

Comment

Your factory head unit should be XM ready, I don't think they made different models that were or weren't capable.

Comment

here is a pic of the quad antenna on my GT coupe with XM/onstar...

here's a front quarter view to show it's location on the roofline...

2009 PONTIAC G8
                          MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Originally posted by cobra1365

So is GM going to make the Quad antenna available as a retro for 2005 G6's?
                            I have a 2005 G6 GT as well and when I called the dealer today to check on XM, he said I should be able to just call Xm and give them the VIN. Then if my radio is ready, they will activate it. He said the antenna is all one unit. But it sounds like he is referring to 06 and later models. Is there a way I can tell if my radio is XM capable? I really don't want to have another radio head...I'd like to keep it as simple as possible.
                            i suspect you might be confused.

Unless the XM receiver was put in at the factory (along with the antenna), you don't have XM capabilities. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as calling and having the feature activated. If you're not sure if you have XM, press the "BAND" button on your radio. An XM-equipped vehicle will cycle as follows: FM1 > FM2 > AM >XM1 >XM2. A non-XM equipped vehicle will cycle as follow: FM1 > FM2 > AM
                            2009 PONTIAC G8
                            MAGNETIC GRAY METALLIC

Comment

Thanks fish...mine does not go to XM when I press band...so I guess that answers that. odd though since when i bought the car new, they were offering 3 mos of Xm or a year of OnStar. We opted for the onstar. But, I'm sure they weren't going to replace the radio if I would have chosen XM!

So, my options now to keep it in an internal radio and keep the DIC???

Comment

Working...
                              X