Inner tie rods bad already??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inner tie rods bad already??

I have a lifetime alignment deal with Michel Tire and took it in the other day because I have to keep my steering wheel turned about 10% to the left to go straight down the road. When I took it in, Michel Tire, they said that both my inner tie rods had play in them and that the alignment wouldn't hold so they weren't going to align it until the tie rods were replaced. I'm still under my 36k mile warranty, so I took it to the dealer and they looked at it for over an hour trying to find something loose and said that everything is very tight on the entire front end of the car.

So are the dealer specs lax enough to accept a slight play in the tie rods or was Michel tire just trying to scam me out of money? Has anybody else had to replace both inner tie rods prior to 36K miles? Thanks for the feedback.

Nate
    2007 Black GTP w/ Taupe interior - SOLD 2/29/2012
    1/4: 14.341 @ 97.29 mph

Re: Inner tie rods bad already??

i had my left go out at 41k and it seems like it is going again at 52k. Car goes into dealer on the 14th and we'll see if it is tie rods again.
    -Tim
    2013 Chrysler 300 S V6 8spd auto
    2009 G6 GT Sedan - Brothers ride
    2008 G6 GXP Sedan - Sold @ 51k
    -5% Tint all around
    -Bridgestone Potenza RE760 245/45/18's
    -Racingline STB
    -Eibach Springs
    2006 G6 GTP Coupe - SOLD @ 70k
    2005 G6 GT Sedan - SOLD @ 99k

Comment

dealer spec on play is if you can feel play replace them. there may be a real spec but no tech takes the time to look them up and figure out what yours is at unless they have too. im thinking the tire place i dont want to say they didnt want to do the alignment but those guys typicaly arent the most trained people ever

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
      Originally posted by snowmanG6
      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Not uncommon. My G6 had them replaced at like 30,000mi, covered under warranty / GMPP I had.
        2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
        Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
        Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
        2005 CGM GTO.
        386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
        2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm getting the two shops on the phone together and we're gonna talk about what the tire place saw and what the dealer found. I'll check back with results.

Nate
          2007 Black GTP w/ Taupe interior - SOLD 2/29/2012
          1/4: 14.341 @ 97.29 mph

Comment

my inner tie rods on both sides have been bad for months... every time i pull into my lot i can hear the tires rattling... im almost at 75k and i would say i noticed them around 50k or so... ive already upgraded all my suspension (springs, shocks and struts) but am in no rush to do tie rods..plus they arent that cheap if you want good aftermarket ones..honestly even oem replacents arent cheap either. i would say on average to replace both its about 120-160 for both front.

Comment

I went for new tires, guy came out from the shop, said come look at this, grabs my passanger tire and wobbles it back and forth, tie rod completely shot at around 40k, replaced under GMPP
              TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Working...
              X