Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mods you can do despite no aftermarket

Hey,

I just wanted to let everyone know what they can do themselves instead of waiting around for parts to come out for our cars. I don't have the cash flow to do all of this, but here are some very effective things you can have done for you by some good machine shops.

Portting the Throttle Body
    Port the intake manifolds, upper and lower (if this v6 has upper and lower)
    Cold air intake, already available
    Replace the flexpipe and catalytic converter to high flow
    Catback exhaust, 2 1/4" mandrel, or 2 1/2" for bent pipes
    50 shot of NOS
    S-AFC to tune your computer for all the mods you've done.

thats all that I can think of right now...anything I might have missed?

Re: Mods you can do despite no aftermarket

Originally posted by G6athon
    Hey,

I just wanted to let everyone know what they can do themselves instead of waiting around for parts to come out for our cars. I don't have the cash flow to do all of this, but here are some very effective things you can have done for you by some good machine shops.

Portting the Throttle Body
    Port the intake manifolds, upper and lower (if this v6 has upper and lower)
    Cold air intake, already available
    Replace the flexpipe and catalytic converter to high flow
    Catback exhaust, 2 1/4" mandrel, or 2 1/2" for bent pipes
    50 shot of NOS
    S-AFC to tune your computer for all the mods you've done.

thats all that I can think of right now...anything I might have missed?
    SAFC's are not woth the money considering HP tuners will do it all for 500.
    2009 Panther Black G8 GT
    334 WHP 347 WTQ

Comment

Thought about porting the throttle body a few times. But ill be honest, I dont know "fuel injection" that great and with this style TB. I know engines pretty good and ect but only know TBI and CARBS. This is the first car I ever had or worked on with true "fuel injection". Since this got brought up can anyone explain it to me with porting the TB becuase to me it seems like it has a thin wall already and how they going to port it to produce a gain in HP? Thanks........
      2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
      Gotta have it Green color
      Brembo brake package
      420 HP 5.0L
      Ford Racing Power Pack
      GT500 track pack differential cover
      BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

I don't think you'll notice much of a difference from just porting the throttle body and not the intake runners.
        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
          I don't think you'll notice much of a difference from just porting the throttle body and not the intake runners.
          thats what I though but a few people I talk to at work and ect all say "yeah boring you TB you'll see 8-15HP pick up eaisly" and when I look at it I see a thin wall and how much can they bore it, 5mm, maybe. Though I might be missing something becuase I wasnt familiar with this type of TB and fuel injection. Thanks Mike

2013 Mustang GT
          Brembo brake package
          420 HP 5.0L
          Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

not on this throttle body.. you'll hit many other obstacles before it comes into play.
            2006 G6 GTP Coupe
            :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
            :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
            :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

See I'm not really sure how the G6 would react to it, but with my cougar I was able to swap in an SVT throttle body from an SVT contour, which was a little bigger. It didn't really make much of a difference unless you added the SVT upper and lower intake manifolds, which had bigger ports. With the bigger throttle body you might notice slightly better pick up from the get-go...maybe.
              -Mike #1

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Comment

Originally posted by dre256
                Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                thats what I though but a few people I talk to at work and ect all say "yeah boring you TB you'll see 8-15HP pick up eaisly"
                people say that about everything. intake: 8-15hp, exhaust: 8-15hp, chip: 8-15hp, removing the rear seats: 8-15hp.

they can't say shit about gains because they are not universal. some cars may benefit some cars may not. as far as TB boring is concerned like others mentioned you have to take into consideration the rest of the intake track before you can just start throwing out random HP gains.

Comment

^^ Exactly.

S-AFCs are crap anyway, unless you buy the high end ones, but then you might as well get real engine management.
                  04 CTS-V......like a G6, but with an extra 200hp, a proper transmission, and it is correct wheel drive:
                  Self described crotchety old man!

Comment

Originally posted by bristol16
                    removing the rear seats: 8-15hp.
                    Worse thing is I heard stupid stuff like that before " reducing your wieght in your car is like free HP pick up" as one of my friends says.

Next random question is..... Isnt the 3900 based off of or is the same family as the LS2? Would the LS2 80mm TB from like the GTO fit?

2013 Mustang GT
                    Brembo brake package
                    420 HP 5.0L
                    Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

I don't know offhand, but 80mm would be WAY overkill on the 3900, even a modded one.
                      2006 G6 GTP Coupe
                      :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
                      :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
                      :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

I wouldn't port the TB without porting the intake manifolds, just the TB wouldn't be worth it. But in doing so, you would also probably need to find the right size butterfly tab to fit into the new TB size. But on the intake side, the Air intake filter (CAI) and porting the manifolds would be the most beneficial. Then I would replace the flex pipe and cat, and do cat-back pipes (2.5"). (Would love to see some agressive cam shafts made). Then tune it. Thats about the maximum we can do at this point. I have an auto, so the gearing would have to go too...but this is all fantasy! lol like i can afford to do it. But in a perfect world, this is what i would be doing.

Comment

you don't gain actual horsepower itself from weight reduction, but I'd take weight reduction in a car over the addition of more horsepower anyday. It's more of a "lost horsepower pick-up" than gain, since horsepower is lost through the drivetrain and weight of the car.
                          -Mike #1

Comment

Now has me thinking becuase it would be hard for GM to know my intake manifold tracks has been ported if a warenty issue came up, anyone have an idea off hand the cost it might be? Becuase I dont think it would be that hard to take it off, I have taken off several other intake mainfolds before but all been TBI and CARB but cant be much diffrent. But this is still just hear/say and not doing it yet, just curois if anyone know the aprox cost might be from a machine shop?

Your prob right Kyle, 80 mm is prob very overkill

2013 Mustang GT
                            Brembo brake package
                            420 HP 5.0L
                            Ford Racing Power Pack

Comment

It probably just bolts right on with a few vacuum hoses attached. Don't have to worry about a throttle or cruise control cable either. Getting the work done may be a bit of a hassle and a pretty penny too.
                              -Mike #1

Comment

Working...
                              X