Taking care of my car during winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking care of my car during winter

What should I do to take care of my 6 this winter? I live in Michigan where there is alot of salt dumped on the roads.

How often should I wash my car and what is the safest method of washing my car during winter months.

Anything else I should do to get my car ready for the winter months?

Re: Taking care of my car during winter

store it like me
    sigpic

2004 LS1 A4 Quicksilver w/ Red Interior 1 of 301 -

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Turning and Stopping- Cquence Drilled and Slotted Rotors

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Fully modded G6 GTP-TRADED

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonGTP
      store it like me
      What are you driving now?

Comment

I wish I could store mine but since I dont have another car I just try to wash it whenever the roads clear up try to keep all the sand and salt washed off of it but other than that you should get some good floor mats to protect the interior cuz obviously the salt isnt gonna be good on the carpet

Comment

I always put a good coat of wax on mine before winter gets here. Helps protect the paint against salt and mud. Helps it to wash right off.
          Kicker KS 6930's 3-Way Rear
          Kicker DS 650's 2-Way Front
          Silver Star 4000k Low Beams
          CRAB Intake : Full System Upgrade and Resonator Removed
          Racingline : Engine Ground Kit
          30% Tint Sides and Rear & Windshield Strip
          Interior Door Trim at Handles and Driver Side Switch Housing : Black
          Pontiac Dart Overlays : Front, Back and Steering Wheel : Black
          Headlight Tint and Eyelids : Black, and Tinted Tails
          Partial DeBadge : GM Badges Removed
          Chrome Exhaust Tip

Comment

Originally posted by G6FortWayne
            I always put a good coat of wax on mine before winter gets here. Helps protect the paint against salt and mud. Helps it to wash right off.

Originally posted by gt08
            store it like me
            What are you driving now?
            the f150 you saw when we swapped rims
            sigpic

GO-K&N Intake, Spintech Exhaust, Pacesetter Headers, Catless Mids, Tuned using HPTuners By Rian

Show- SAP Repros in Satin black, fake SAP mod, Tinted tails by Jorge, Satin Black Badges, 35% tint all around, Satin Black painted 17's, Flat Splitter

Electronics- Pioneer AVIC F90BT, JL 500.1 Monoblock Amp, JL 12W3-2, DDMTuning 8k 55watt HID hi/low, All Interior and Cluster LED Swap by Bohnman,

Comment

Erik
              Y you swap rims if your gonna store it?
              87 Jeep Comanche Metric Ton
              90 Eagle Talon TSI
              09 G6 Progression(New Car)
              My Progression

Comment

Wash after each snow fall when weather permits. Also wash the wheel wells out and as much undercarage as you can.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/WS6Racing" Totaly Badged 2006 Red GT Loaded
                Originally posted by [i
                Nancy Reagan[/i]]"Theres no such thing as a stupid question, theres just stupid people that ask questions" 1987

Comment

Originally posted by jakeman17
                  Erik
                  cuz i take it out of storage all the time to drive it, but it stays in storage till all the snow is clear of the roads. salt is still there but snow/ice is gone
                  sigpic

Comment

Can't wash when it's not going to get out of the teens and low 20's. Tried that once. Ended up with a G6 coated in like 1" of ice....

GTO has so much salt on it now but I can't wash it... staying in 10's and 20's all week. I have a meet Sunday too and I may not even be able to wash it before. Car wash closes up then too.
                    2015 Chevy SS, Perfect Blue Metallic, Sunroof, No Spare, M6
                    Appearance: Full LED Conversion, 6000L D3S HID Bulbs, Holden Rear and Front Embloms
                    Go Stuff: Diablew 93 Octane Tune

Missed and not forgotten. Traded.
                    2005 CGM GTO.
                    386whp, 364ft-lb torque, Corsa Sport Exhaust, Tuning, K&N Intake, VX Tails, Halo Projectors
                    2009 G8 GT SRM Premium Package, 6000K LED + HID Lows, Factory Bluetooth Retrofit, Atari Gauges, Factory iPod Control, 93 Octane Diablew Tune, Vararam Intake, MBR Strut Bar, Corsa Catback, DBA 4000SX Slotted + Drilled Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.

Comment

yea that happened to me the other day It was only 6 degrees but my car was so nasty it was almost brown the only part of my car that was still black was the roof wasnt able to open my trunk till yesterday cuz it was frozen shut

Comment

Originally posted by jakeman17
                        Erik
                        cuz i take it out of storage all the time to drive it, but it stays in storage till all the snow is clear of the roads. salt is still there but snow/ice is gone
                        o ok salt is shitty here in IL they must think they will never run out The roads by me were already white after the first little snow we had
                        87 Jeep Comanche Metric Ton
                        90 Eagle Talon TSI
                        09 G6 Progression(New Car)
                        My Progression

Comment

take it to a touchless that has an underbody spray, will get all the salt off the underside and wheel wells. Then you dont have salt covered brushes scratching your paint. Most have a dryer too so the car wont get all icy. But make sure you wait until the snow has stopped for a few days and the roads have been cleared or else its kinda pointless. If you havent put wax on I suggest finding a heated garage somewhere, or somewhat warm garage and putting a nice coat of wax on!
                          -Tim
                          2013 Chrysler 300 S V6 8spd auto
                          2009 G6 GT Sedan - Brothers ride
                          2008 G6 GXP Sedan - Sold @ 51k
                          -5% Tint all around
                          -Bridgestone Potenza RE760 245/45/18's
                          -Racingline STB
                          -Eibach Springs
                          2006 G6 GTP Coupe - SOLD @ 70k
                          2005 G6 GT Sedan - SOLD @ 99k

Comment

Crimson do you store it in your garage or like a actual storage yard with the orange garage doors?

If its an actual storage unit - how much does that run you?

Once I get my s10 the car goes in storage for the winter - and then in the summer the truck goes in storage.

Lunch breaks are the heroes of my stomache!
                            Mods:

Comment

Originally posted by WS6 RACING
                              Wash after each snow fall when weather permits. Also wash the wheel wells out and as much undercarage as you can.

Comment

Working...
                              X