How-To: Remove Badges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-To: Remove Badges

Ahhhh car badges. Some are cool and some are annoying. Some people chose to remove them all and some only a couple. Myself, I only removed the "GM" square badges that are on the doors. Maybe the "pontiac" letters on the back, but I intend to leave the G6 and GTP. If you're a car tinkering noob like me, you may want a step-by-step on removing the badges.

What you'll need:
    -A hair dryer. You may want one with a "cool" setting as well.
    -Dental Floss
    -Goo Gone
    -A Stopwatch may come in handy (i used the one on my cell phone)
    -A source of bright light
    -Warm soapy water
    -A clean cloth and a cloth for the soapy water

1. make sure you got your stuff together.

2. Begin by heating the badge on all the corners and head on. The reason I mention you may need a cool setting is that heat my begin to unglue the strip on the door. Having the cool on the dryer meant I could just hold it there with my finger and blow it with the cool dryer for 20 seconds to re-affix it.

3. After heating it for about a minute on each corner and then head on, I checked with my thumb to see if it would move, it did.

4. Work the floss in behind it and then begin to saw the floss back and forth behind it. Shouldn't take much effort.

5. Once the badge pops off, you have this crap. Pick it off with your fingers
    6. Then you get the gooy residue.

7. I tested the goo-gone on the corner of my car to be sure it wouldn't do anything bad, although I was 99.99% certain it wouldn't anyway.

8. Apply the goo-gone so that it looks wet and the sticky substance is covered. Let it sit for a few minutes (hence the timer). After a few minutes, rub with the clean cloth to begin to remove some of the goo. I had to run through this step a couple of times to fully remove any sticky substance from the car. This is where the light came in. I pointed a spot lamp right at the spot when it looked like it was all gone, it wasn't . So i re-applied the goo-gone.

9. Once ALL the goo is gone, use a bit of soapy water on a cloth to clean off any remaining substance. YOUR DONE!
    The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Nice write up...I might have to do this the next time I wash my car. For some reason the GM badges alternate between acceptable and tacky in my mind.

Comment

Nice HOW-TO! Thanks for posting this.

Official Sound Dude of the SWO

Comment

wow I can't believe no one has posted a how-to on this since now. lol. Good job!
        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
          wow I can't believe no one has posted a how-to on this since now. lol. Good job!
          Yeh, i was surprised myself. I had to double check before i hit submit even.

It is an easy thing to do to your car, but I figured I'd do some snaps while I did mine and do the write up. Any car-modding noobs like myself may be a little hesitant to start ripping do-dads of their cars.
          The Present: 2010 Mazdaspeed3... Zoom Zoom

The Past: 06 G6 GTP Vert: Westers Tune - GT-R Exhaust - Doc's Stage3 CAI+ CRAB O4+K&N - GMPD Strut - RL Street Inserts - CMS Bespoke Vert Lowering Springs - Quicklifts - Enkei FN18's, N3000's 245/45y18 - 35% Tint Around - 4300k HIDs His & Los - Black Headlight bezels - Black Recessed Grills - Pooners Chrome Trim Blackout - Black Overlays on Darts - Avic f700bt

Comment

Originally posted by wvleadfoot78
            You've gotta add a step man. Make SURE to thoroughly wax the area after this process. Definitely a necessity.
            I agree, good idea to mention that. You also forgot the steps about drinking a beer between each of the other steps (unless, obviously, you plan to go for a drive to show off your work once you're done ripping the badges off)

Comment

Unless your out and its Sunday, right? LoL (see oil change thread)
              2007 G5 Base Model
              Black 5 Speed

Walmart - A store where you can buy a shot gun, ammunition, a ski mask, a baseball bat, a meat cleaver and map of the middle east, but you can't buy a CD that has a "Parental Advisory" sticker.

Comment

just a little push over the edge for people who may be worried about debadging. If I read write, are the badges covered under warrenty if you really want them back on? I took mine off and I love it.
                myspace.com/donaldlynd

Comment

Nice, I already took my off also.
                  06 G6 GTP 6sp Silver Sweet !!!!! PONTIAC

Comment

Thanks for this write up! I plan on taking mine off this weekend as long as the weather is nice.
                    Brian-
                    Membership has it's privileges

SSSS Member #10 since 2007

Comment

Went to open my trunk and realised I was driving a PON IAC around.

Debadging seems like alot of work...im just going to let the rest fall off by themselves.
                      2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew

Comment

if your letters are already falling off you should just be able to heat them up for a few seconds with a blowdryer and peel them off with your fingers. Then you can clean up whatever's left on the trunk with goo gone or car wax. 10 minutes tops.
                        -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Yeah , might as well.
                          2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew

Comment

I just debadged mine today. I fucked up though because the 6 wasn't coming off and I used a metal thing to get it off and scratched the car. I wish I would have thought about using dental floss.

Comment

if you have access to suture or something simiar that is very strong you don't even have to heat them up, just put the silk suture behind it like he did with the floss and work it back in forth to cut the adhesive and bam it's off. Then you can just use your fingers to roll the adhesive and take it off.
                              TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Working...
                              X