"Low Coolant"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Low Coolant"

I have 9600kms on my G6 GTP 6spd - been getting the "Low Coolant" message for a couple days. Im taking it in on the weekend for a 10,000km service anyway- but, anyone else get this message? Im pretty sure that is has Dexcool and you can't just add water.
    2006 Granite Metallic GTP coupe 6spd

Check your actual coolant reservoir. If it is low on coolant you may be able to get away with adding a little bit of dexcool (from Canadian Tire) and waiting. However, you need to check for leaks as well.

Most important to check is around the engine seals to make sure that coolant isn't leaking out of the engine, and also pop off your oil cap and see if there is coolant in the engine (your oil would appear milky).

If you have coolant in the engine, get to the dealership immediately.

sigpic
    Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

This is starting to be a more common problem. My car is doing this, coolant is fine, I added anyway though. I believe it's a sensor.
      Originally posted by TLS2000
      It's all fun and games, until someone gets skull fucked.

SSSS member #2

Comment

Mine is also doing it as well. I checked the cooland and ti looked fine. I'm going to add a but more to see if it stops.. The Low coolant only comes on when i fisrt turn ont he card after it has been sitting for a while. Then it goes off about 30 seconds later.

Comment

It's still very important to do a visual check for leaks. Look around the engine bay for any orange puddles of liquid.

sigpic
          Mobil 1 | Doctorspeed Stage 3 & 4 CAI | CRABS | Sacchi S45 245 Black 18" Rims | 6000k HID Headlights + Fogs | GT-R Exhaust | 20% Tint | Pioneer AppRadio 2

Comment

Mine was low and I had no leaks. I am lost on this one but I filled it up and it has been fine since. Who knows. I did do alot of leaving my car running for hours at a time so that might have done it. Talk about bad for the car.
            Originally posted by Nikki
            You are an e-pimp.
            Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
            I tried too, my penis way too big
            07 GTP Coupe, Black, GT-R Exhaust #1, Dr speed Cold air box, GM STB, White Face Gauges, Intigrated Ipod, Altezza tails, Painted headlights with black reflectors and no amber turn signal cover and Nokya Ultrawhite bulbs all around, VMS ECM Tune Beotches, With the TCM tune soon to come.
            My youtube. http://youtube.com/user/joebro82
            The old hooptyhttp://www.cardomain.com/ride/2412743

Comment

This may be just me, but I learned from experience.

If the coolant is low, either one of two things happened:

-it leaked
              -it wasn't filled enough from the factory

The other possibility is that the sensor is malfunctioning.

So personally, I'd be doing my damnedest to find out where that coolant went.

sigpic

Comment

This may be just me, but I learned from experience.

If the coolant is low, either one of two things happened:

-it leaked
                -it wasn't filled enough from the factory

The other possibility is that the sensor is malfunctioning.

So personally, I'd be doing my damnedest to find out where that coolant went.
                It's my thinking that its a sensor because of how many cars it's happening to.

SSSS member #2

Comment

I've got over 25,000km on my car (over 15,600 miles) and I've never had this problem. Is it only a coupe thing?
                  COULOMJO - 2006 G6 V6
                  Clicky for progression place

CURRENT MODS: C.R.A.B.S. (O3), 20% Tint, Upper & lower recessed grilles (black), LEDs (dome light, trunk, licence plate & reverse lights), DRL delete, intake resonator delete, Dart & trunk keyhole overlays, debadge, '09 Stock radio (with AUX IN), '10 HVAC controls, Hood quicklifts, Eagle Eyes black projector headlights, LED brake/turn lights (including 3rd brake light LED retrofit), Pioneer speakers (front & back), Bazooka BTA8100FHC 8" Subwoofer, Hidden 12v adapter (that turn on with the ignition), EE Halo DRL bypass (How-to).
                  MODS - COMING SOON: None... for now!

Also in the parking lot: 2008 Pontiac Torrent "Podium Edition"
                  Clicky for progression place

My first G6 - Lease ended - but not forgotten

Comment

nah, it's a GM 60 degree V6 engine thing

If you just have to top it off for the light ONCE and tens of thousands of miles have gone by without a repeat, you have nothing to worry about.

But I would advise anybody with this RECURRING problem to follow Tom's advice. If you're coolant is disappearing, you'd better find out where it's going.
                    2006 G6 GTP Coupe
                    :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
                    :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
                    :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

My coolant isnt going anywhere. It was pretty much full and the light was coming on, filled it higher=light still coming on.

SSSS member #2

Comment

Bring it to the dealer there is 100k mile coolant in the radiator. Its covered under warrenty.
                        Ryan Romero

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2439593/1

Comment

Coolant

I also noticed it about 10,000 miles on my 06 base 4 cylinder model. Looked for leaks and nothing. Put more in about 1/2 a cup in resevoir and took the car to get it checked out. They said everything was fine.

Comment

i got in my car this morning and got this message too. ran in to the hardware store and came back out and it didn't come back on at start up. looks like it's time for a double din radio for me

Comment

I had my low coolant light come on once. It was after I had my car repaired from an accident and the radiator was replaced. Called the body shop and they said the coolant probably settled and was low so just need to add some. I checked it, it was low and I added some, problem solved. So, if the low coolant light comes on, check the level and add some if necessary, but it had to go somewhere so check everything out for leaks etc., as mentioned before.
                              2006 Black GTP Sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X