Adding Coolant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding Coolant?

Need to top-up the engine coolant in my car, and have a couple questions.

1.) Owner's manual says to only use DEX-COOL (silicate-free) coolant, but I was reading another post about people having problems from using DEX-COOL in the past. Are those issues resolved now, and is it safe for me to use DEX-COOL to top up the coolant tank? Is there a better alternative?

2.) Also, owner's manual says to mix the coolant with "clean drinkable water", but would it be better to use distilled water to keep impurities out of the system?

3.) Last question, I read some posts about modifying the 50/50 mix of water to coolant (to 80/20), but is there any problem just mixing it 50/50?

Thanks guys.

Re: Adding Coolant?

You dont need to mix it with water if its Dex-Cool. Most if not all of it is already a 50/50 mix. Its all I use in my car and I have had no issues at all(2008, bought brand new and currently at 43,200 miles)
    Blue 2008 G6 GT Sedan-Sold

In its place- Fully loaded Black 2013 Chrysler 300C AWD 5.7L Hemi V8

Originally posted by zlatsky
    I <3 Cody.

No homo.
    Originally posted by ahuhn
    i <3 cody

lots of homo

Comment

So does GM sell concentrated, and pre-mixed, DEX-COOL? Are they two different types? Or is the regular DEX-COOL already pre-mixed?

Comment

I believe all of Dex-Cool is already a 50/50 but I'm not 100% on it. I know the bottle says if it is or not though.
        Blue 2008 G6 GT Sedan-Sold

In its place- Fully loaded Black 2013 Chrysler 300C AWD 5.7L Hemi V8

Originally posted by zlatsky
        I <3 Cody.

No homo.
        Originally posted by ahuhn
        i <3 cody

lots of homo

Comment

regular dex cool from GM is not premixed some of the stuff you cna buy in the store is premixed. but some of it isnt. just have to read. and if it isnt premixed you can add any kind of water to it you want weather it be just tap water or distilled

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
          Originally posted by snowmanG6
          you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Working...
          X