This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Massive Design Flaw!!

I rented a G6 3.5 V6 4-door sedan for the weekend. This is something interesting I noticed:

If you are driving on the highway, about 100 km/h or faster (the faster you go the louder the sound), and then you pull down both REAR windows all the way (only the rear, front must be closed) you will hear a HUGE vibrational noise throughout the entire car as it starts to shake your car.

This is not just a light noise either. It sounds like 2x 12" subwoofers pounding rapidly at full blast. It makes your brain feel like it is going to explode.

The fact that the entire car starts to shake and/or vibrate is not good either. It could be approaching the resonant frequency of the frame. Meaning that you could possibly crack the frame of the car by simply driving for a short period of time with the rear windows down, and at a particular speed.

This would be very bad because you are driving over 100 km/h, and possibly on a crowded highway. Who wants to lose their life over having their rear windows open. Someone should have this investigated.

Has anyone else tried this out??

:warped:

Wasn't this already posted somewhere earlier?
    Originally posted by TLS2000
    Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
    GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

It is common, my tahoe did it, my blazer did it, just cant have only the back windows down, I know it is annoying, lol
      Originally posted by TLS2000
      It's all fun and games, until someone gets skull fucked.

SSSS member #2

Comment

Every car I have driven has had this happen at some point. I just close the window more.
        BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
        ^ The Man
        v The Legend

Comment

Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
          Wasn't this already posted somewhere earlier?
          Yes both original posts were mistakenly deleted because of the double post, yadda yadda....

P.S. I agree, any 4 door vehicle I have ever been in does this.

John
          Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

It's nothing more then air pressure not having a suitable place to leave the car much like having bass in the car! My buddies jeep did it do when you opened just the sunroof. It's not going to cause any damage to the car especially something like "frame" damage since there would have to be a crack through out the entire car!

Issue seems doubtful at best!
            Originally posted by Toyz
            Originally posted by simplyred
            what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
            As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Yup, every vehicle i have driven has pretty much done this. And let me tell you, ive driven alot of vehicles... Anwhere from 2 door sports cars to 4 door grand cherokees and 2 door pickups. Yup all of them did this in some manner. :smoke:
              Hurricanes are like women : when they come, they're wet and wild, but when they leave they take your house and car.

Comment

No car I have ever driven or owned has made that sound. Right now I own a Ford Taurus and a Contour SVT, neither of which make this sound. My girl friend's honda civic doesn't make the sound either.

Oh, and it is possible for a resonant frequency to crack the frame of a car. Resonating frequencies from air can destroy just about anything, such as massive bridges.

This sounds like an excuse for poor engineering. Good job GM!

Comment

so you don't even own a G6 and just joined to let us know that you think our cars may fall apart?
                  -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
                  Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

do you have a moonroof in any of your cars?

If so when you are at speed, pull the wind deflector down, and your cars will do it too.
                    BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
                    ^ The Man
                    v The Legend

Comment

Originally posted by blkGTPcoupe
                      so you don't even own a G6 and just joined to let us know that you think our cars may fall apart?
                      Thats what I was thinking...
                      Originally posted by Toyz
                      Originally posted by simplyred
                      what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
                      As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Comment

Massive design flaw?

Our cars will explode! Wind buffeting can KILL!!

Occurs in many cars, mostly noticable on sedans.
                        2006 G6 GTP Coupe
                        :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
                        :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
                        :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

Working...
                        X