Maintaining your car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maintaining your car

Hi all, since I'm new here, I was wondering how easy/hard it is to work on these cars yourself. Regular things like changing spark plugs, changing oil, etc. I'm used to doing my own maintenance and didn't know if it would be a pain in the butt or not to do it on the '6' (I'm thinking of the 3.6). The engine compartment looks kind of crowded so I didn't know how this would be on these cars. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Maintaining your car

you can do the oil changes no problem. spark plugs you dont have to worry about until 100,000miles and they look like they will be a bitch.

Mods- VMS ECM/TCM Tune, Custom Magnaflow Cat Back, Full CRAB Intake, Racing Line Motor Mounts and Strut Tower Brace. Tinted Windows & Tails. EBC USR Rotors Front and Rear running YellowStuff Pads
    Originally posted by ahuhn
    so i just realized there a drawer in my room that has nothing in it but tequila, condoms and a blow up doll. cant figure out if thats a good thing or not

Comment

Spark plugs don't look toooo bad. Then again I have the LX9...

G6 - 240sx - Lancer - 325is - WRX

Comment

Originally posted by mike91y2k
        Spark plugs don't look toooo bad. Then again I have the LX9...
        HUH?? It says 2.4l Ecotec Turbo! HAHAHA

Comment

lol Spark plugs on the 2.4 are on a scale of 1 - 10 hardest
          87 Jeep Comanche Metric Ton
          90 Eagle Talon TSI
          09 G6 Progression(New Car)
          My Progression

Comment

Originally posted by greenkidd
            Hi all, since I'm new here, I was wondering how easy/hard it is to work on these cars yourself. Regular things like changing spark plugs, changing oil, etc. I'm used to doing my own maintenance and didn't know if it would be a pain in the butt or not to do it on the '6' (I'm thinking of the 3.6). The engine compartment looks kind of crowded so I didn't know how this would be on these cars. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!
            what maintenance are you looking to do?
            87 Jeep Comanche Metric Ton
            90 Eagle Talon TSI
            09 G6 Progression(New Car)
            My Progression

Comment

A lot of the "Crowdedness" is actually just a engine and battery cover. It was the first thing I took off on mine.

Depending on your car knowledge and patience, I'd say working on the 6 is pretty easy.

Oil Changes are a breeze, sparkplugs (on a LX9) are fairly easy to change, belt is easy...

FourDoorMafia MySpace | YouTube

Current Mods: ZZP Strut Bar | CRAB FPU w/Fenderwell Intake
              Future Mods: Flowmaster 50 Series Exhaust
              Fabrication: Rear Strut Bar

Comment

My mechanic friend said that out of all the V6s the LX9 is the easiest.

Comment

oil changes suck because of the filter location. youll probley make a mess if you do it at home

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                  Originally posted by snowmanG6
                  you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Originally posted by ahuhn
                    oil changes suck because of the filter location. youll probley make a mess if you do it at home
                    LZ4's are SUPER easy!!

Comment

i changed the oil in my 3.5 with no mess..

changed the brake pads.. no problems..

meh.. looks ok for maintence so far..

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

The back 3 spark plugs on the LZ4 V6 seem like impossible to get at.
                        The serpentine belt looks like a pain too.
                        Oil change is a snap.
                        The rest looks straight forward.

Comment

yea.. now that i remember the belt was a .. bee-otch

had to remove the torque shock from the "front" of the motor..

can't get the belt off without removing it

Current Modifications: 18' Sky Wheels w/ 245/40-18 Tires, 25mm Spacers, Megan Racing Coilovers, Racingline STB, JPE Rear Camber Kit, Energy Suspension Poly Bushings, Painted Calipers, Double Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Ceramic Brake Pads, Street Series MMI, CRABS with FPU, NGK Iridium Plugs, Kingsborne 8mm Wires, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Custom 2ga Grounding Kit, DDM 6k HIDs High/Low/Fog, Halos, High/Fog Mod, Chrome Recessed Upper and Lower Grills, GM Ground Effects Kit, GXP Rear Bumper, GXP Sedan Hammerhead, 15% Tint, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Painted Mirror Caps, Tinted Tails, QuickLifts, PAC Audio Input, Interior LED Conversion, Dash LED Accents, 3W LED Trunk Lighting

Comment

Originally posted by cmessick
                            yea.. now that i remember the belt was a .. bee-otch

had to remove the torque shock from the "front" of the motor..

can't get the belt off without removing it
                            You can get it off without removing it. Putting it on is another story.

Comment

well this IS true..

Comment

Working...
                              X