Painted headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted headlights

So I spent the last few days painting my headlights....what a pain in the ass! I think I broke nearly every single clip holding those POS's together.

Anyway, I put everything together and it all looks great...until an hour later. The lenses have some crazy psychadelic rainbow effect under certain light (such as direct sunlight). It looks like there's a film of oil on them. I took them off and pulled out the light bulbs to let it air out some more....but does anybody have any idea what might have caused this?

Of course, it's damn near impossible to get a picture of this, but you can sort of see it in the corner by the grille:

Somebody needs to make a replacement lens that's more clear. I just keep seeing these and thinking the paint looks ugly through those lenses.
    I'M A TURNHUG6ER!

Comment

It's mostly the camera... in person they look MUCH nicer than any photo I've seen (or been able to capture for that matter)

I don't have any of the multicolored stuff going on in mine. Maybe paint fumes building up on the inside of the lenses? How long were they allowed to dry after the final coat?
      2006 G6 GTP Coupe
      :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
      :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
      :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

I thought it might be fumes too. I let them dry for about 24 hours before reassembly. Should I have waited longer?

Comment

that should've been plenty
          2006 G6 GTP Coupe
          :: Doctor Speed Turbo Kit ::
          :: Decals by RK Vinyl :: <-- Check out the newly redesigned store!!
          :: GT-R Exhaust ::

Comment

did you smudge your fingers around in it alot? that may do it (just a guess)
            Originally posted by TLS2000
            Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
            GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

I had that trouble too. Before you seal them up, you should go over the inside of the lens with a plastic cleaner.
              -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

Originally posted by GTPGuy82
                I had that trouble too. Before you seal them up, you should go over the inside of the lens with a plastic cleaner.
                I did clean them before I put them together. maybe it was the cleaner I used.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be anything harmful so I guess they're staying that way. I don't really want to rip apart the headlights again.

Comment

it's probably just the fact that they are now painted. On the front cover of an old MotorTrend, they show a brand new red corvette, with the red headlights, and there is a rainbow effect over the entire headlight lens.
                  -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

It looks like this:

Guess I'm not the only one after all.

Comment

the gp does this under certain lights and angles... they have never been messed with so i dont really know what to tell ya

Comment

It may be just easier to notice on a darker background inside vesus all chrome like before??
                        BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
                        ^ The Man
                        v The Legend

Comment

Originally posted by jonnycat
                          It may be just easier to notice on a darker background inside vesus all chrome like before??
                          You might be right. I noticed a Nissan Altima, without painted headlights, that had the problem yesterday.

Comment

In my 99 cougar(headlights were black inside) I saw the rainbow effect in them too, and I never opened them once.
                            BMG Cofounder who happens to be a Petrolsexual
                            ^ The Man
                            v The Legend

Comment

Rainbow or not...IMO your car looks great with the painted lights. I just don't have the patience to take mine apart to do this mod. Also, for some reason the chrome does not bother me as much as it used to. But I really like the way it looks. Nice job!

:smoke:
                              SOLD * 2006 G6 GTP 6MT * SOLD
                              Crimson Red W/Taupe 2-Tone Leather; DoctorSpeed Stage 4 CAB, Custom Dual Muffler Exhaust ;"JAKED" Lower Grille, GM Strut Bar, Aftermarket Spoiler, White Faced Gauges, Painted Interior Parts, Window Tints, Mostly debadged.
                              CURRENT: 2007 Acura TL Type-S 286 HP 6MT
                              Moroccan Red Pearl /Taupe Leather Sports Seats; Tints: 15% rears, 50% fronts;Axis Hiro 18X8.5 hyper silver wheels w/Yokohama Advan S.4. 245/40/18 UHPAS Tires; Color-Matched Splash Guards

Comment

Working...
                              X