Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we do the "cheater" transmission flush on our cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we do the "cheater" transmission flush on our cars?

Cheater transmission flush...

disconnect one of the tranny cooler lines, attach some hose to both ends. One end goes into an empty bucket, Other hose goes into a bucket full of fresh fluid. Turn on run car, sucks up new fluid, pushes out old, do this until Clean fluid is coming out of the other side?

anyone know if this method works on our car?
    2007 Dark Gray Metallic G6 Sedan 3.5L v6 A4
    Former cars... '85 Camaro, '94 Camaro, '00 Camaro, '92 Mustang GT

Re: Can we do the "cheater" transmission flush on our cars?

I'd just take it to the dealer...

Lunch breaks are the heroes of my stomache!
    Mods:

Comment

it might

also might blow up the tranny

try it and let us know what happens

Remember if "the" and "and" are spelled right its not a genuine Ahuhn post

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
      Originally posted by snowmanG6
      you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

just have to disconnect return line and put new fluid in dipstick while running...

Comment

Originally posted by StruttinSoul
          I'd just take it to the dealer...
          Well... thats no fun.

I know people do it on other vehicles. I been looking at the Hydraulic schematics, in the maintenance manuals, flows from Torque converter to cooler, then back to pump(vane style pump btw), seems like it would be easy to not cavitate the pump, and if its not drawing any fluid it would be pretty easy to see and figure out.

Comment

Originally posted by oomonte
            just have to disconnect return line and put new fluid in dipstick while running...
            We don't have a dipstick, only a overflow valve and drain hole.
            <-- Gray G6? Click!
            2006 G6 SE V6 3.5L Sedan "Sharon", Stealth Gray Metallic, 1SA+CF5+PCM+PDX - Sold but will not be forgotten... will always have a special place in my heart.
            2006 Solstice 2.4L I4 "Kristin", Shadow Gray Metallic, 1SA+JL9+G80+PCQ+ZQ2+ZQ3
            Life moves fast, don't miss a thing.

Comment

Re: Can we do the &quot;cheater&quot; transmission flush on our cars?

Originally posted by oomonte
              We don't have a dipsitck. Maybe I'll get one of those really big funnels, so its providing positive head pressure on the return line instead of having the pump draw the fluid out.

Comment

crappy 4t45e trannys...looks like dealer or lube and oil shop.

Comment

GTPs atleast have a dipstick, I just got a fluild non filter change flush at 27K miles, Hook machine up to dipstick, suck it out and refill
                  2006 G6 GTP: Traded

2013 Mustang GT
                  Gotta have it Green color
                  Brembo brake package
                  420 HP 5.0L
                  Ford Racing Power Pack
                  GT500 track pack differential cover
                  BOSS 302 oil cooler, JLT oil separator

Comment

i haz dip stix
                    Make me a signature and ill put it in here...

Comment

Our 4T45E tranny does not have a dipstick, but there is a fill plug on the driverside of the engine/tranny. The fill level plug is on the passenger side behind and above where the CV axle comes out.

Filling while the tranny pumps out the fluid seems like the old/new fluid will be mixing in the sump and not achive a true fluid change.

The owner's manual states 100k miles between changes since our vehicles use full synthetic Dextron VI. I changed mine at 50k to be safe.

Dropping the pan, changing the filter and adding fluid (mine took right at 7 quarts) will cost about $70-80 bucks, vs the dealer's quote of $160.

Trick- getting the filter seal of out the tranny was a PITA. I tried a seal puller and pilot bearing puller with no luck (be careful to not scar the aluminum housing). SOLUTION- use a flat blade screwdriver, catch the metal lip of the seal with the screwdriver horizontal, tap with a hammer and the metal seal will bend/collape and come out.

If I didn't have the issue with the seal, the entire job would have taken about 1 hour.
                      Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy.
                      -Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Granite6
                        .......Filling while the tranny pumps out the fluid seems like the old/new fluid will be mixing in the sump and not achive a true fluid change..................
                        Dropping the pan, changing the filter and adding fluid (mine took right at 7 quarts) will cost about $70-80 bucks, vs the dealer's quote of $160..

dropping the pan and adding fluid isnt a true fluid flush either since theres still fluid in the transmission that doesnt come out when you drop the pan

Dear God, please send clothes to all those poor ladies in Daddy's computer. Amen.
                        you would try to tape a poptart to her then give her a bag a skittles and tell her to fart a rainbow

Comment

Maybe not a complete full flush but should be good enough since he is doing it at 50k miles.

Comment

yup
                            my point is that no matter which you do your never getting all the fluid out of the trans just most of it

Comment

Working...
                            X