Distance/time to empty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distance/time to empty

Asking if anyone, particularly those with a 'vert, have noticed that VERY shortly (mere minutes, unsure of the distance) after the low fuel warning light comes on, that you are out of gas? Prior to this, the DIC is now reading low miles (or something similar). I was going to ask the dealer, but I have no faith in them since I had to argue that I should not have two 'wood' trim pieces and one silver finish.

I have noticed that with my GT coupe as well. Only ran it to very low once ndand the yellow warning light on the gas gauge came on and the DIC didnt register any miles to empty. My old PT cruiser would warn you at about a 1/4 tank with one beep, than three beeps and finally 5 and at five you were basically out. Needless to say, I dont run it below 50 miles to empty now.

Comment

i have the same on my coupe...very few miles left when the light comes on...i refill when the fuel range gets down to 40 miles (when it changed to read LOW FUEL)...once i turned off my car right after the light came on...the next day my car wouldnt even start with the flick of the key..i had to hold the key in the start position for awhile before it turned over...damn thing was like completely out of gas
      -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
      http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
      Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

My close to empty fuel light will go on and off, depending on the angle of the car at the time. However, on a straight level surface, after the light stays on for a "few" miles, I have never added more than 13 gallons of fuel. Since this is a 16 1/2 gallon tank, assuming I'm getting 30 mpg, I can easily go almost 90 miles on the interstate.
        Today I drove to Lima, OH from Central Indiana, and avged 31.8 mpg. I filled up at 387 miles driven and put in 13.2 gallons.
        G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
        Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
        Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
        20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

when mine wouldnt start bc of it being out of gas it didnt even take 15 gal and it was parked on a flat surface

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
          Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

Originally posted by blkGTPcoupe
            when mine wouldnt start bc of it being out of gas it didnt even take 15 gal and it was parked on a flat surface
            Dent in the tank? Thats wierd. Is the size of yours different from the Sedan?
            Got me thinking there's a reason I never put more than 13 or so in mine.
            G6P member 340

G8 GT 334 0f 1st 888
            Pedders Street II suspension. Pedders Strut Tower bar. VMS HSRK, VMS PCM/TCM tune, Forged and Stroked LS3, Garrett Turbo
            Borla Cat back. SLP underdrive pulley. FAST ported 102 intake and TB ported. BMR trailing arms, Circle D 3200 stall converter.
            20 percent tint by Scott's tinting and graphics.

Comment

I've never ran out of gas with this car (or any other for that matter) but I do always get more mileage done than I expect everytime the warning shows up.

So I would have to answer no. But then again I have an '05 sedan.
              COULOMJO - 2006 G6 V6
              Clicky for progression place

CURRENT MODS: C.R.A.B.S. (O3), 20% Tint, Upper & lower recessed grilles (black), LEDs (dome light, trunk, licence plate & reverse lights), DRL delete, intake resonator delete, Dart & trunk keyhole overlays, debadge, '09 Stock radio (with AUX IN), '10 HVAC controls, Hood quicklifts, Eagle Eyes black projector headlights, LED brake/turn lights (including 3rd brake light LED retrofit), Pioneer speakers (front & back), Bazooka BTA8100FHC 8" Subwoofer, Hidden 12v adapter (that turn on with the ignition), EE Halo DRL bypass (How-to).
              MODS - COMING SOON: None... for now!

Also in the parking lot: 2008 Pontiac Torrent "Podium Edition"

My first G6 - Lease ended - but not forgotten

Comment

I've never ran out in any car, but this car sure drops off pretty quick. The needle drops very fast as soon as it hits the 1/4 mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Interfire
                  I've never ran out in any car, but this car sure drops off pretty quick. The needle drops very fast as soon as it hits the 1/4 mark.
                  It's true that the shape of the tank makes the gauge "unbalanced". I can drive several days before the needle starts moving when it's filled to the top (the needle is past the F on the left side). But from 1/2 to E the gauge runs much faster than the first half. I've always considered this normal, as all the other cars I've known are like this.
                  COULOMJO - 2006 G6 V6

CURRENT MODS: C.R.A.B.S. (O3), 20% Tint, Upper & lower recessed grilles (black), LEDs (dome light, trunk, licence plate & reverse lights), DRL delete, intake resonator delete, Dart & trunk keyhole overlays, debadge, '09 Stock radio (with AUX IN), '10 HVAC controls, Hood quicklifts, Eagle Eyes black projector headlights, LED brake/turn lights (including 3rd brake light LED retrofit), Pioneer speakers (front & back), Bazooka BTA8100FHC 8" Subwoofer, Hidden 12v adapter (that turn on with the ignition), EE Halo DRL bypass (How-to).
                  MODS - COMING SOON: None... for now!

Also in the parking lot: 2008 Pontiac Torrent "Podium Edition"

My first G6 - Lease ended - but not forgotten

Comment

Yeah just like my last car, the top half of the tank is bigger. You'd be sitting there thinking you were getting great gas mileage, but as soon as it hit the lower mark...

Comment

The latest generation Neon is the only car I know of that has a linear gas gauge. All other cars I have came across exhibit this quirk.
                      Part of the reason is that when the float has reached the top of the gas tank which signals that the tank is full, you can still top up the tank right up to the brim of the filler hole. These extra gas are not registered or indicated by the gas gauge. In other words, you need to use up these extra gas before the needle in the gas gauge will start to move. Thus giving you a false impression of terrific gas mileage during the first half of the tank, and terrible gas mileage during the bottom half of the tank. Also, the markings on most gas gauges are only approximates and are grossly inaccurate.

Comment

There's a TSB on this which involves a flash. Had mine done and it did correct it.

See this thread:

http://www.g6performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1404

Look up your particular vehicle on the edmunds page, locate the TSB, print it out and show it to your service guy at the dealership.

:smoke:
                        SOLD * 2006 G6 GTP 6MT * SOLD
                        Crimson Red W/Taupe 2-Tone Leather; DoctorSpeed Stage 4 CAB, Custom Dual Muffler Exhaust ;"JAKED" Lower Grille, GM Strut Bar, Aftermarket Spoiler, White Faced Gauges, Painted Interior Parts, Window Tints, Mostly debadged.
                        CURRENT: 2007 Acura TL Type-S 286 HP 6MT
                        Moroccan Red Pearl /Taupe Leather Sports Seats; Tints: 15% rears, 50% fronts;Axis Hiro 18X8.5 hyper silver wheels w/Yokohama Advan S.4. 245/40/18 UHPAS Tires; Color-Matched Splash Guards

Comment

uh, that link sends me to the main forum page

Comment

The link I was referring to is at the bottom of that thread, but here it is again:

Try this one :warped:
                            SOLD * 2006 G6 GTP 6MT * SOLD
                            Crimson Red W/Taupe 2-Tone Leather; DoctorSpeed Stage 4 CAB, Custom Dual Muffler Exhaust ;"JAKED" Lower Grille, GM Strut Bar, Aftermarket Spoiler, White Faced Gauges, Painted Interior Parts, Window Tints, Mostly debadged.
                            CURRENT: 2007 Acura TL Type-S 286 HP 6MT
                            Moroccan Red Pearl /Taupe Leather Sports Seats; Tints: 15% rears, 50% fronts;Axis Hiro 18X8.5 hyper silver wheels w/Yokohama Advan S.4. 245/40/18 UHPAS Tires; Color-Matched Splash Guards

Comment

After reading this thread, I wanted to check and see when the light came on on mine.

Yesterday on the way to work, it came on. I had to drive about 3 miles to the closest gas station. It took 14.3 gallons to fill up the tank. Assuming my 07 Vert (3.9L engine) has a 16.5gal tank, there were approximately 2 gallons left when the light came on. That should be a little over 30 miles before running out of gas.

I thought that was about normal. My Ford Escape had about 2.5 - 3 gallons left when the light came on.

Sound right?

Jeff
                              My 07 G6 Convertible
                              http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...6/IMG_0394.jpg

My 76 Vette
                              http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...e/P4240002.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X