Changing factory speakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing factory speakers

Alright, so Im thinking about changing the factory speakers to obviously some aftermarket ones. However on another forum I read that the G6's speakers were 2ohm but they never mentioned if this was with the Monsoon or not. Can someone let me know if they are 2 or 4 ohm and the exact sizes, I would greatly appreciate it before I rip apart the car and find out that they sound like ass!!
    Originally posted by Toyz
    Originally posted by simplyred
    what do you guys think about switching up the teams again?!
    As long as i dont have to catch, i am all for it!

Not sure about the answer to your question BUT.....you have to take the stock speakers out anyways so just take them out and find out on the magnet what ohm the speakers are, buy your new ones and throw them in. Just curious but why do you want to replace your monsoon rear speakers?? I think they are all coupled with each other for superior sound-not sure how aftermarket speakers would sound. If you get it going let us know how they turn out.
    TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by LoJac963
      Not sure about the answer to your question BUT.....you have to take the stock speakers out anyways so just take them out and find out on the magnet what ohm the speakers are, buy your new ones and throw them in. Just curious but why do you want to replace your monsoon rear speakers?? I think they are all coupled with each other for superior sound-not sure how aftermarket speakers would sound. If you get it going let us know how they turn out.
      The 6x9's are 2ohm.

You'll either have to find some (have fun), or get a big amp to drive the 4ohm replacements.

And don't forget that the 6x9's only get lows because of the crossover upstream - the highs are sent through separate wires to the tweeters.

Comment

I dont have the monsoon.. I was wondering if 2ohm was for the monsoon only or both stereos...If I had the monsoon I wouldnt be changing them haha...

Comment

Yea you should just replace yours with Monsoon speakers...they're incredible, even with aftermarket radios.
          -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

But I dont think that they will sound good without the amp,crossover, blah blah blah lol.. and I can only imagine what the dealership is going to charge me for the monsoon system haha!

Comment

Call your dealership and find out, if its a lot start calling pick a part junkyards to see if they have any G6's. If so then head out there and tear out a monsoon system-the junkyard won't know what it is so they shouldn't charge you much for it.
              TRADED IN BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN: 2006 GT Coupe in granite metallic, 15/5% tint, vinyl side marker deletes, Doctor Speed Stage 3 CAI, RED calipers by DupliColor, RED LED interior lights, 45 LED tail lights, WideView 8000K HID coversion kit, Nokya Artic White fogs installed, running MoBil 1, FIRST ever granite metallic color matched headlights!! Color matched eyelids just finished! GT-R Exhaust installed. R1 Concepts drilled and slotted zinc plated front rotors.

Comment

That's interesting!!!!

When my coil opened up on the factory door speaker of my 94 S-10 (it had the useless 'brick' radio that front loaded the cassettes), I took the 6" speaker out and it stated a 10 ohm impedance on the magnet. The good speaker measured 10.3 ohms

after looking around town and these car stereo dealers not wanting to talk to me because I would install it myself (in fact, one shop would only sell to me if I signed a piece of paper agreeing to an 'AS-IS' no refund sale), I called Crutchfield and I purchased a set of POLK 5 1/4 to go in their place (very narrow depth because GM ran the window cranking mechanism guides directly behind the door speakers). Crutchfield at that time also gave me free plastic molded baffles to accomdate the 5 1/4 speakers and rivets to rivet them to the door frame, detailed printed instructions on how to remove the interior trim, and adapter harnesses to adapt the GM connector to the slip-on terminals POLK had.

Funny thing was that I could crank that radio to the max and the amp in the 'brick' was so bad that it never rattled the Polk speakers.

I would try Crutchfield

Comment

Crutchfield is good in that they offer all those goodies, like adapters, install instructions..etc. But they're way overpriced.
                  -Mike #1

||2006 GTP Coupe - Gone but not forgotten||

'Black cars denote an aggressive personality or someone who's an outsider or rebel.'

Current Ride: 2009 White Hot Pontiac G8 GT with Onyx/Red Interior

Comment

I called crutchfeild and they dont have adapters yet for door speakers, so they say you have to splice... Im waiting till they come out with adapters since the cars is a smartbuy

Comment

if anyone is looking for a good set of spekers to swap with the monsoon speakers i am going to install these:
                      Fronts
                      http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio ... AP&Cat=COS

Rear
                      http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio ... AP&Cat=MEL

2 ohm speakers so no shange to the output but amazing sound, ans the 3ways in the back will let you use the factory crossover

Comment

apparently links dont like me
                        just cut and paste

Comment

I have the Monsoon system and have to say I absolutely love it. The bass hits hard and the treble screams. All with no distortion. If anything, I think I would just add a sub. But, I am going to wait till they have harnesses and stuff out for it cause I don't want to go off the rear deck speakers to the amp. But the Monsoon speakers do sound tight. If you want to go that route.
                          "The Milwaukee Mile 5"

Comment

I used to have 2 RF 12"s in my caviler and I while I do miss the low low's the Monsoon system sounds great! High Highs and it can hit pretty clean.
                            ~ Nick
                            ----------------
                            2006 Silver GT Coupe

Originally posted by noRulez
                            Whenever a car is parked too close to a curb an Angel gets AIDS.

Comment

Does Cerwin Vega still make some nice speakers? I remember back in high school this one guy had 2 18" Strokers and they actually warped his body panels when it hit. It was tight!
                              "The Milwaukee Mile 5"

Comment

Working...
                              X