under hood lighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• under hood lighting

I was thinking of putting some sort of lights under the hood becuase as everyone knows, at night you really cant see whats under the hood. iv searched the forums but didnt find anything. sry if there is a post already, please provide pictures and feedback if you have done a mod along these lines.
    thanks everyone
    35% front/5% all-around tint, chrome grill,
    MTEC headlight bulbs, cold air box, redline tuning, LED reverse bulbs, passport x50 blue, custom catback system, painted headlights, shaved badges

Are you thinking lights to work on the car with, or for show?
    Originally posted by TLS2000
    Fine. You're banned. Stupid redneck piece of shit!
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/Amick
    GTP: My list of mods got too long... just click the link

Comment

main purpose is when im not in a well lit area and want to pop the hood id have a good light source. having it for show wouldnt hurt either. so maybe some kind of pure white led kinda thing, nothing too fancy though.
      35% front/5% all-around tint, chrome grill,
      MTEC headlight bulbs, cold air box, redline tuning, LED reverse bulbs, passport x50 blue, custom catback system, painted headlights, shaved badges

Comment

a couple white LED light bars would do the trick. these cars come with hood pin switches in them already?

Comment

You could wire it up to the hood switch, if you could find it. Or you could mount it up to a manual switch, and mount the lights accordingly. LED would be the best way to go, for durability if not anything else.

Comment

LEDs would be good, just make sure they can stand the heat....

Remember when cars used to come with lights under the hood?
            Mine - 2006 Black Grand Prix GXP

Comment

Originally posted by EmersonHart13

wonder where they all went...

Comment

Originally posted by beitodesstrafe
                Originally posted by EmersonHart13

wonder where they all went...
                The imports stole all of them.
                SOLD * 2006 G6 GTP 6MT * SOLD
                Crimson Red W/Taupe 2-Tone Leather; DoctorSpeed Stage 4 CAB, Custom Dual Muffler Exhaust ;"JAKED" Lower Grille, GM Strut Bar, Aftermarket Spoiler, White Faced Gauges, Painted Interior Parts, Window Tints, Mostly debadged.
                CURRENT: 2007 Acura TL Type-S 286 HP 6MT
                Moroccan Red Pearl /Taupe Leather Sports Seats; Tints: 15% rears, 50% fronts;Axis Hiro 18X8.5 hyper silver wheels w/Yokohama Advan S.4. 245/40/18 UHPAS Tires; Color-Matched Splash Guards

Comment

And probably turned them purple in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Interfire
                    And probably turned them purple in the process.

Comment

i have AAA and keep a flashlight in my vehicles so underhood lights are useless to me. i am sure they saved a lot of money by removing them.

Comment

i have a flashlight....on my 9mm in the glovebox
                        -Mike #2 (the self-proclaimed tallest G6 owner)
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2645383

VMS ECM, GT-R Exhaust, Dr. Speed Stage 3 CAI, 35% Llumar Tint, Redline Hood Struts, Vent Visors,
                        Pontiac Inset Upper Grilles #1, STB, Black Euro Tails, PowerSlot Rotors, Hawk Brake Pads

Comment

I tried doing underhood LED's. Maybe I put them in a bad spot, maybe it's because they were cheap LED's (car LED's bought at Wal-Mart for $12) or maybe I just don't know what I'm doing but they all burned out.

I put them in a lens, on the hood, just above the battery covery (sort of over the front passenger side corner of the cover). If you look at the foam under the hood, there's a round plastic clip there that I passed the wires through. That's where I mounted it, using two sided tape. It didn't seem to get too hot, but maybe that was the problem.

Sorry, no pics, I pulled the lights out after the bulbs died. I still have the switch and wiring in place though, in case I ever want to try it again.

Comment

were they wired correctly to work off a possible 14volts? it could be that they were just cheap LEDs. i'd get on ebay and check out some 10000mcd white leds and get resitors to drop the voltage down so they don't burn up. i had 8000mcd blue ones in the air vents of my jimmy and they lasted until i pulled them out with no problems.

Comment

I assumed they were wired correctly. Each LED had a small resistor attached to it. I don't know what they were rated but they were supposed to be "automotive" LED's.

Comment

Working...
                              X